Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immunisations for US

Immunisations for US

Old Oct 15th 2003, 4:41 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default Immunisations for US

Hello

We have decided we shall ask my wifes parents to co-sponser us just in case......

Was just wondering though, Ive contacted my doc who says Ive no record of any immunisations, so when I have the medical, what am I likely to require, and how much are they?

Im 26 years of age, good health................

Any ideas

thank you

Lee
Old Oct 15th 2003, 4:51 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immunisations for US

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hello

We have decided we shall ask my wifes parents to co-sponser us just in case......

Was just wondering though, Ive contacted my doc who says Ive no record of any immunisations, so when I have the medical, what am I likely to require, and how much are they?

Any ideas

thank you

Lee

Lee, don't have any immunisations yet. It's highly likely you had them in childhood, so go to your doctor first have have your titres done. They're simple blood tests which will show your level of immunity. For example, if you had chicken pox when you were a child but have no record of any immunisation, then your titre will come back positive and you won't need to have the immunisation. I showed all my titres today at the interview and didn't need one shot.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:52 pm
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done!! Congratulation to you and your partner.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Hello

Any ideas

thank you

Lee

I would recommend Tetanus if you are not up to date. It is one of the shots on the required list. Always a good one to keep up to date anyway. If you are not up to date then you need a series of 3, but you can have one done in UK and get the rest done when you get here.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
I would recommend ....
You don't get any choice in the matter - the doctor at the medical center examines what records you have, if any, and tells you what you'll need.

The cost isn't much. I needed two of the jabs, including tetanus, and I think it cost me just over £20, in September 2001.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to what the US vaccination requirements are.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm

Ash
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:04 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

If you do get a tetanus, don't forget to get the tetanus/dyptheria combination...you have to have the dyptheria bit as well. Sometimes it's called DTP: Dyptheria, Tetanus and Pertussis. Tetanus on it's own may not be enough. The embassy doctor actually mentioned that to me.

For any of you in London, I can recommend Medicentre. They have small clinics dotted around London and I got all my shots there as my regular GP was hopeless and unhelpful. It is private and you have to pay but sometimes that's worth it to save all the hassle of dealing with the NHS. Here's the link:

http://www.medicentre.co.uk/
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:30 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

so being 26 with no record of immunisations it seems from the chart i need:

TD - thats tetanus and diptheria

MMR

how much I wonder
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:37 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

MMR

how much I wonder
The NHS managed to lose my medical records for the first 16 years of my life.
I went to see my doctor when we started all this and shown him the forms that mention all the immunisation that I must have.
Even though the records were lost and I couldn't remember if I had all my shots he was sure I had, because this was pretty much standard in the UK.
He even went as far and wrote a letter for me to give the U.S Embassy Doc which said that the records were missing but he was certain that I had all the jabs.

On the day this Doc (can't remember his name now - very rude and abrubt with me) took one glance at the letter and ignored me.
I had about three shots and had to pay about £200 !
Gits.

So go and see you locum and show him what the forms say, he will advise and give you and injections you may need.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:47 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

See your if your GP will give them to you. I did that and the jabs were free, I just had to pay about 7 quid for a letter from him stating that I'd had them and was up to date.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

MMR

how much I wonder

We were in a similar situation to you and had DT and MMR at our London Medical... I think... (wish I could find the receipt!!!!) - I seem to remember it costing about £30ish for both shots, per person.

If I were you - save your money and have them done at your local GP's. This is what a lot of people on here have done and I wish I had looked into it more and done that as it's such a waste of money.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by whatever
We were in a similar situation to you and had DT and MMR at our London Medical... I think... (wish I could find the receipt!!!!) - I seem to remember it costing about £30ish for both shots, per person.

If I were you - save your money and have them done at your local GP's. This is what a lot of people on here have done and I wish I had looked into it more and done that as it's such a waste of money.

OH and BTW: As we have all lost our original medical cards, to prove we had had all the other injections, the nurse at our doctors just wrote down our name, the name of the injection with the date it was administered next to it on some scrap paper! This was accepted at the medical.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:32 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Any ideas

thank you

Lee

Hi

I had my medical June 3rd this year. After figuring out what shots I needed I went to see the practice nurse (not the GP) and simply asked to have them done and explained why. She did it there and then, it cost nothing and she filled in a little vaccination booklet that now has all my vaccination history from my medical records.

At the medical, everything was fine.

Maggie
Old Oct 17th 2003, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

1jwalker is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the US with no UK medical records (picked consular processing from L1A to Perm Resisdent instead of doing it in the US). I asked to have all the shots listed on the form from my US doctor but instead she took a blood test (good job as I was pretty much immune to everthing on the list).

I gave the results to the Embassy doctor and all I needed on the day was an up to date Tetanus jab which was 20 quid.

Several people at the medical didn't have all their shots accounted for and were able to get them at the Embassy medical.

--John
Old Oct 17th 2003, 5:53 pm
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I need Varicella vaccenation for London consular processing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.