Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immunisations

Immunisations

Old Apr 29th 2001, 3:56 am
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immunisations

I just want to double check something here. As far as I understand it, you can be issued the K-1 visa without having all the necessary immunisations at that time, that's right isn't it? Aren't the immunisations necessary for the AOS interview?

I'm wanting Dr Phelan to confirm which immunisations I need and then get them done on the NHS rather than paying him on the day. I'll still get the visa though if I don't get any necessary immunisations from him though, right?

Just want to make sure I don't screw this up. Thanks ~ Jennie
Old Apr 29th 2001, 9:08 am
k.emeny

I wanted to do that too but my Doctors will charge for the vacinations anyway so I
decided to have them done on the day at the medical, that way I will definately have
what is needed! Not saying you cannot get them done on NHS, just that maybe it is up
to the GP. Good luck to you. karen.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 29th 2001, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

The only vaccinations you should need are tetanus-diptheria and measles-mumps-rubella.

You can visit your GP (or practice nurse) to find out where you stand on these. The tetanus is one that you get every 10 years in the UK, so if you haven't had one within the 10 years then your GP will not have any problems giving this for free. If you have had it within 10 years, this will satisfy Dr Phelan too, as long as you can document it. You take the vaccination certificate to Dr Phelan.

If you have had the MMR (or separate jabs) in the past, or have had any of the diseases, you won't need to get it again. A copy of your relevent vaccination certificate or medical records will be sufficient for Dr Phelan. If you know that you need the MMR, then you can go ahead and have your GP do it. They may or may not charge you for it.

If you get the jabs done at Dr Phelan's, they are around £20 each.

If you need the jabs and don't get them done before the visa interview, then you will not pass this portion of the medical, and will have to get them done at AOS time. The issue I see here is that you are then at the mercy of US doctor who may well insist that you have even more jabs (Hep B, boosters of childhood vax etc.), and you will be paying far more than you would have paid to Dr Phelan (insurance has an annual ceiling on vax, so don't really allow for them to be done at the wrong time, IYKWIM).

To answer your original question - yes you will still get the visa without the jabs. I know that you haven't asked for any advice, but I would just recommend that you see your GP to find out what jabs you need, then to just get them done (either at your GP or by Dr Phelan). Then you never have to think about it again.
Old Apr 29th 2001, 10:51 pm
British in Wisconsin

Default Thanks

Thanks for the detailed reply and best wishes.

Ok, I checked my records. I don't have a pretty looking certificate but a titled stationary form signed by my Dr. I've had them all except mumps, which I had as the disease as a child. Hmm, wonder how easy it is to get a hold of medical records from when I was 4. It's weird to think of them still existing. *sigh*. Might just be easier to get Dr Phelan to do any immunisations on that day despite my dislike of paying him.

Thanks again ~ Jennie
Old Apr 30th 2001, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

For me, I took a photocopy of my 30-year old medical records where it said that I had 'bi-lateral mumps' in 1969. Together with my immunisation record for measles and blood test for rubella (an ante-natal test), Dr Phelan was totally satisfied and I managed to avoid the MMR.
Old May 9th 2001, 10:38 pm
Courtney

Alastair needed his MMR and his GP refused to give it to him. He got a letter from
Phelan saying that he was missing the MMR and all we had to do at our AOS interview
was show that he had the shot since then.

Hope that helps if your GP is a grouch...........

Courtney

Old May 10th 2001, 10:22 am
British in Wisconsin

Eeeek, well I have an appointment with a nurse in half an hour and hopefully she'll give me the MMR, if not though thanks for the information.