Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immunisation Records (for Green Card)

Immunisation Records (for Green Card)

Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

soap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Immunisation Records (for Green Card)

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Reluctantly (on my part) we are now having to go through the process of applying for Green Cards and I've just arranged for us to see one of the locally USCIS approved doctors later this week to have our medicals.

He asked me to bring copies of our immunisation records. Well, other than those I've had in the tropical medicine travel clinicfor things like yellow fever, rabies, tetanus booster (for when I went to India) and when my husband had similar when he did the tsunami relief work in Sri Lanka last Summer, we don't have anything else.....as far as I know our childhood records are most likely still with the NHS doctors we used to have in England. We left 12 years ago!

Does anyone know if NHS local surgeries will fax or mail out immunisation records overseas?

The surgeries are all closed for the day so I can't phone now. I know that we weren't able to take them with us (jealously guarded by the GP) when we moved from England to Singapore and didn't even have any copies/extracts with us (good job we were healthy then eh?).

Has the law changed in the UK so they *have* to provide us with copies of our medical records?

What happens if they can't be located...do we have to have vaccinations all over again?

I also understand that there is some kind of issue where you have to have X-rays if you have ever had the BCG jab for tuberculosis?....both my husband and I had them when we were about 13 years old, I remember lining up at school for the 'heath' (sp?) test and then going back for the jab a week or so later.

What do they actually do during the medical - does it take a long time?

Hi Englishmum

Don't know if this helps, but I didn't have any records either. The doctor we found in LA was brilliant he basically took my word for everything as I explained I had a huge needle phobia and therefore did not want to have any jabs. I had to have a blood sample and after he seen the state I got into he was in agreement that I had one of the worst needle phobia he has seen. I asked for x-rays rather than the BCG test - the results were instant and it meant I didn't have to go back to the doctors for a second appointment just collected the forms two days later.

As it happens I got my green card in the post today. The whole process took six months.

Hope this helps.

Soap addict
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have any records (Apart from Walking on the moon by The Police). I had to have some nasty sticky pointy jabs to make up for it.

What really messed things up was my TB vaccination ! .... It showed me as having TB when tested, I had to come up with proof that I was imune. They don't do that jab here and didn't believe me.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Got my med in the UK as we filed DCF in London. Had to get an MMR and tetanus boost-£35 each. Some GPs will do this for you, but mine would not (they don't give the MMR to any over 25s).

I had the chest xray but no TB test-had to bring the xray with me to POE. This is included in the cost, as is the blood test with AIDS test.

Otherwise, it was a quick top-to-toe check and basic medical history. Very simple.

I had a partial jab record from my GP and had to pay £25 for a copy. To answer your original question, yes, under data protection you are allowed to have a copy of your records, but your GP can charge up to £50.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Immunisation Records (for Green Card)

I have a feeling I'm going to have to have some jabs.....certainly the MMR vaccination. I've just phoned our old doctor's practice in Epping, Essex (where we still have our house and rent it out) and apparently the FHSA (Family Health Services Authority) in Clacton-on-Sea asked our surgery to send our medical records to them in April 1998 for my husband and in December 2000 for mine.....don't know how/why they did this, we've certainly never told them we had left the country permanently (because we've been on temp expat postings....which kept getting extended, so perhaps our tenants did....

I'll try and track them down tomorrow but it doesn't look promising....
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I have a feeling I'm going to have to have some jabs.....certainly the MMR vaccination. I've just phoned our old doctor's practice in Epping, Essex (where we still have our house and rent it out) and apparently the FHSA (Family Health Services Authority) in Clacton-on-Sea asked our surgery to send our medical records to them in April 1998 for my husband and in December 2000 for mine.....don't know how/why they did this, we've certainly never told them we had left the country permanently (because we've been on temp expat postings....which kept getting extended, so perhaps our tenants did....

I'll try and track them down tomorrow but it doesn't look promising....

it is standard for notes not used for many years to be sent back to the FHSA. It has been done a few times at the surgery where I work
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:00 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thread recently where it was advised to have a tetre? test done to save money & getting unnecessary jabs done. I have put of doing this medical but the lawyers are at our backs to get it in (middle of moving) and have largely put it off as I thought I would have to get my tetre test, then find out about x-rays etc. I know I can just walk in to the civil surgeon but can't afford $1,000 each! So now don't know what to do, we don't have a doc (waiting until we move).
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
There was a thread recently where it was advised to have a tetre? test done to save money & getting unnecessary jabs done.
titre
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:21 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
titre
thanks
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:09 am
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
There was a thread recently where it was advised to have a tetre? test done to save money & getting unnecessary jabs done. I have put of doing this medical but the lawyers are at our backs to get it in (middle of moving) and have largely put it off as I thought I would have to get my tetre test, then find out about x-rays etc. I know I can just walk in to the civil surgeon but can't afford $1,000 each! So now don't know what to do, we don't have a doc (waiting until we move).
Have you tried docs in a Hispanic area? This is what I did when I got my vaccinations the first time around as they cost 1/4 of what was quoted everywhere else and ours knew all about immigration stuff.