Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigration via Spouse

Immigration via Spouse

Old Jun 10th 2002, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough
Default Immigration via Spouse

(Firstly, thanks to Keith for making me aware of this forum)

I am a UK citizen, my wife is a US citizen. We both live in UK at the moment.

We want to relocate to USA.

Is the best process simply to apply for I-130 and wait for the interview? How long should I expect this to take?

Our main problem will be the affadavit of support. We will both be leaving jobs here to go there and seek employment. We dont have many assets (only debts) I dont want my wife to go to USA before me to seek work, as i dont want us to be apart while the process is slowly followed through. Is this the only way?

My wife has family who could sponsor us, but I dont feel that would be fair to ask them to disclose ther financial circumstances - so would rather do it on our own.

This is whay we thought about the I129F - to apply for a K3 visa while the formal immigrant visa is being processed.

We are in no real hurry, but dont want to wait too much longer before making the move.

Anyone with advice/guidance/tips etc. please get in touch.
Old Jun 10th 2002, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration via Spouse

There is no reason for you to be apart. Since your USC wife lives with you in the UK (legally I am assuming), she can file for you directly with the US Consulate in London. The process should take you about 3 to 4 months to complete and you can remain together especially since you have a financial sponsor for the I-864. She will have to show that she has taken steps to make the US her domicle though. She can do this by looking for an apartment/house, a job, open a US bank account, etc. all while she is still in the UK. Isn't the internet great?

Rete