Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigration: USC spouse 3rd preference?

Immigration: USC spouse 3rd preference?

Old Aug 13th 2002, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration: USC spouse 3rd preference?

Was reading a link posted in another thread. Correct me if I interpreted wrongly to the following extract from

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...pp.htm#poverty

"....relatives who qualify for immigration to the United States under one of the family-based preferences:

First Preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.

Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents and the unmarried sons and daughters (regardless of age) of lawful permanent residents and their unmarried children.

Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their unmarried minor children.

Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their unmarried minor children."

How is it that USC spouses are ranaked after lawful PRs?
Just curious...

Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration: USC spouse 3rd preference?

Originally posted by gardencity:
Was reading a link posted in another thread. Correct me if I interpreted wrongly to the following extract from
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...pp.htm#poverty
"....relatives who qualify for immigration to the United States under one of the family-based preferences:
First Preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Adult means 21 years of age or older.
Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents and the unmarried sons and daughters (regardless of age) of lawful permanent residents and their unmarried children.

Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their unmarried minor children.

Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their unmarried minor children."

How is it that USC spouses are ranaked after lawful PRs?
Just curious...
I'm pretty sure you should read that as spouses of the married sons/daughters of USCs.
The missing key part of your quote from that page is:
"An affidavit of support, INS Form I-864, is required for all immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (which include parents, spouses, and unmarried children under the age of 21, including orphans) and relatives who qualify for immigration to the United States under one of the family-based preferences"

Spouse of a USC is an "immediate relative".

It's a puzzle playing with all these words. Be careful, can lead to crazyness
Old Aug 13th 2002, 4:17 pm
L D Jones

gardencity wrote:
    > Was reading a link posted in another thread. Correct me if I interpreted wrongly to
    > the following extract from
    > http://www.ins-
    > .usdoj.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm#poverty

> "....relatives who qualify for immigration to the United States under one of the
    > family-based preferences:
[ preferences ]

> How is it that USC spouses are ranaked after lawful PRs? Just curious...

What do you mean by "ranked?" A spouse of a USC is not in any of these preference
categories, is considered an immediate relative, and does not need a visa number

Old Aug 15th 2002, 5:20 am
Mrtravel

Spouse of USC's are immediate and do NOT wait for a preference number

Third preferences is for the spouses of the children of US citizens Fourth preference
is for the spouses of the siblings of US citizens