British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   immigration to the usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/immigration-usa-109743/)

pompomgirl Jul 23rd 2002 10:20 am

immigration to the usa

Hi anybody out there - my question is this: quite simply I am a UK citizen wanting desperately to live in the states. Other than basic knowledge I havent a clue where I start? Can anyone suggest companies in the states who would be willing to sponsor people in my situation. I am 37 and a Senior Creative. Alternatively does anyone know of better ways of doing it rather than sponsorship?

britintx Jul 23rd 2002 4:45 pm

Re: immigration to the usa

Being a UK citizen who is just going through this process, it appears to me that there are many routes, but a lot seems to depend on your educational background.

Do you have a university degree, and or post-graduate qualification?

L D Jones Jul 23rd 2002 5:20 pm

pompomgirl wrote:
    >
    > Hi anybody out there - my question is this: quite simply I am a UK citizen wanting
    > desperately to live in the states. Other than basic knowledge I havent a clue where
    > I start? Can anyone suggest companies in the states who would be willing to sponsor
    > people in my situation. I am 37 and a Senior Creative. Alternatively does anyone
    > know of better ways of doing it rather than sponsorship?

The most well known methods are family sponsorship or work permit (H-1B) which I
believe could be difficult to get in today's economy. What's a senior Creative?

pompomgirl Jul 25th 2002 8:50 am

I have a HND in Graphics which is the more hands on qualification equivalent to the degree, I also have approx 10 years working experience within the retail, publishing, fashion sectors of design and art direction. I dont have a post graduate qualification however. What do you think?

britintx Jul 25th 2002 2:18 pm

I'd say possible, but difficult. The HND plus experience probably qualifies you as degree equivalent in the US, however, it's likely that workers with your qualifications are not in short supply in the US.

Things might be different if you had a US company that really wanted to hire you, and make the case.

Also you could try getting a job in the UK with company which has offices in the US , and looking for a transfer. I think you need to work for them in the UK for one (or two?) years to qualify as an inter-company transferee.

Lastly, if you have some cash behind you, you could try to buy a small US design company.

pompomgirl Jul 25th 2002 3:19 pm

Would you happen to know by any chance, how I could get info on company's that hire UK citizens? - that is if something like this actually exists and is not already overrun with people wanting to do the same thing.

Rete Jul 25th 2002 5:10 pm

Originally posted by pompomgirl
Would you happen to know by any chance, how I could get info on company's that hire UK citizens? - that is if something like this actually exists and is not already overrun with people wanting to do the same thing.
I doubt it is a matter of find a US company that only hires UK citizens but rather finding a UK company with a US subsidiary which has a need for an employee with your qualifications.

L D Jones Jul 25th 2002 7:20 pm

pompomgirl wrote:
    >
    > Would you happen to know by any chance, how I could get info on company's that hire
    > UK citizens? - that is if something like this actually exists and is not already
    > overrun with people wanting to do the same thing.

No single source of this kind of information exists. The usual advice is to use web
job search engines (like Monster). It is doubtful you will find info on "company's
that hire UK citizens" but companies willing to sponsor H-1B might turn up. In this
economy I'd say you have to be very lucky as well as extremely skilled.