Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigration Reform Protests -- Why The Mexican Flag?

Wikiposts

Immigration Reform Protests -- Why The Mexican Flag?

Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration Reform Protests -- Why The Mexican Flag?

There have been massive protests over immigration reform all over the country, including a school walkout here in Austin.

What baffles me is that in all of these, the demonstrators are waving the Mexican flag.

While it's true that most of the illegal aliens and many legal aliens come from Mexico, not all do -- and aren't these folks protesting the rights of *all* aliens to have fair and non-draconian immigration laws for all, not just those from Mexico?

What it looks like to the Fox News viewing public is that these demonstrators want to turn the USA into Mexico North -- NOT that they want a path to become Americans.

Comments?
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:49 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Reform Protests -- Why The Mexican Flag?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There have been massive protests over immigration reform all over the country, including a school walkout here in Austin.

What baffles me is that in all of these, the demonstrators are waving the Mexican flag.

While it's true that most of the illegal aliens and many legal aliens come from Mexico, not all do -- and aren't these folks protesting the rights of *all* aliens to have fair and non-draconian immigration laws for all, not just those from Mexico?

What it looks like to the Fox News viewing public is that these demonstrators want to turn the USA into Mexico North -- NOT that they want a path to become Americans.

Comments?

I was watching something about this tonight, Lou Dobbs on CNN said he thought it should basically be made illegal to wave anything except the stars and stripes. When someone else asked him about the masses of Irish flags that have just been waved during St. Patricks Day - he responded that he thought St. Patricks Day celebrations should be stopped and only American holidays celebrated! What a f--king loser.
I'd put money on whoever sweeps his house and cleans his pool is not a nice white man being paid $8 an hour.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sarah]I was watching something about this tonight, Lou Dobbs on CNN said he thought it should basically be made illegal to wave anything except the stars and stripes./QUOTE]

It did make me think a bit of AWP and his Union Flag fight.

I think it's fine to wave the Mexican flag on Diez y Seis and Cinco de Mayo.... I just think it alienates (pun? no....) white America who already fear cultural domination by the population surge of Hispanics, to wave it about the right to immigrate to America.

It also makes me feel weird to agree (in this one case!) that they shouldn't be waving it, with the likes of Lou Dobbs -- though *why* they shouldn't we still disagree on. Maybe I should find some comfort there.

(PS.... should I go protesting waving the Dutch flag? )
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=snowbunny]
Originally Posted by Sarah
I was watching something about this tonight, Lou Dobbs on CNN said he thought it should basically be made illegal to wave anything except the stars and stripes./QUOTE]

It did make me think a bit of AWP and his Union Flag fight.

I think it's fine to wave the Mexican flag on Diez y Seis and Cinco de Mayo.... I just think it alienates (pun? no....) white America who already fear cultural domination by the population surge of Hispanics, to wave it about the right to immigrate to America.

It also makes me feel weird to agree (in this one case!) that they shouldn't be waving it, with the likes of Lou Dobbs -- though *why* they shouldn't we still disagree on. Maybe I should find some comfort there.

(PS.... should I go protesting waving the Dutch flag? )

Frankly, short of the swastika (and KKK insignia) I cannot think of ANY flag that should not be allowed to be waved ANYwhere by ANYone...

What is it with Americans and the flag???
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:51 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Elvira
Plenty of flagwavers around the world and throughout history.... why do we even have them?

I don't think it should be illegal to burn or piss on or wave or .... any flag either. It's just that I'm seriously wondering what these folks are thinking by waving the Mexican flag.... it certainly doesn't give one the impression that they want to be American, or form any solidarity with immigrants the world over who'll be affected by the laws.

It's like waving a red flag to a bull where the bull is the anti-immigration folk no matter what the cause of their feelings -- xenophobia, job competition, etc.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of flagwavers around the world and throughout history.... why do we even have them?.......
Indeed.

IMHO flags look best on tea-mugs and underpants...
Old Mar 31st 2006, 2:44 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it should be illegal to burn or piss on or wave or .... any flag either.
Little known fact - the correct way of retiring a US flag is to burn it.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Little known fact - the correct way of retiring a US flag is to burn it.
but pissing on it first might be seen in poor light
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As someone about to file an N-400, I cannot respond to your comment.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 4:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Elvira]
Frankly, (and KKK insignia) I cannot think of ANY flag :
And whats wrong with the KK flag

Old Mar 31st 2006, 4:07 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Bob
"It was lighter fluid, honest!"
Old Mar 31st 2006, 6:11 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

... It's just that I'm seriously wondering what these folks are thinking by waving the Mexican flag.... it certainly doesn't give one the impression that they want to be American ...
I have the same feeling too, why provoke a backlash? I don't understand it. I went by a high school on my way to work and some of the students were outside waving banners, one of the banners made fun of the Mayflower. I thought, what on earth are they doing? Don't they know that they need Americans on their side. It's like they have done the dimmest thing they could have possibly done, alienating many Americans, many of whom empathize with their goal, but promoting the notion of an expanded Mexico through taking over the USA is a big mistake, imho.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 6:24 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Elvira]

Frankly, short of the swastika (and KKK insignia) I cannot think of ANY flag that should not be allowed to be waved ANYwhere by ANYone...

Under the First Amendment anyone can wave any flag on U.S. soil, but that is not the issue here.

The demonstrators want the right to be in America, but are waving Mexican flags. I, like many Americans, don't understand the logic here. Why risk alienating the base that you need to support your cause? Just doesn't make any sense. I am flabbergasted at this HUGE tactical error on their part. They have put back their cause and alienated many against their cause. I could not believe the anti-Mayflower banner I say today, I was shocked.