British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Immigration quandry.. please help!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/immigration-quandry-please-help-247440/)

meauxna Aug 26th 2004 6:50 pm

Re: Immigration quandry.. please help!!

Originally Posted by the_wanderer
It's all fair and well to try and put forward advice that suits some cases but I think people here need to concentrate on REAL LIFE rather than hear-say etc.

LOL!
Funny, we're all writing from the west side of the pond. Where are you?
Feels pretty real to me ;)

honeymommy Aug 26th 2004 6:59 pm

[QUOTE=Manc]A large percentage of what you read on this board are people who have been there and bought the T-shirt.

I live in real life.
and in the real world there is no sponsorship temporary H1B visa's until residency is established. The h1B is a non immigrant intent visa and needs to be renewed after 5 years. There is a chance that it could possibly lead to a Green Card. But talk to Honeymommy about how ****ed up her dreams are right now, That's real life right there.

In the real life mate, a Permanent Resident cannot sponsor a relative without waiting for approx 10 years.

QUOTE]

I have stayed out of this as I had no clue what to say really... I just feel sad for you......But at the same time I wish you every success in your dreams and hopes.... I'll give you this much... you seem to have great determination to do this... But I implore you to listen to the replies and research immigration yourself through the USCIS.......

This link explains H1b and requirements......

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/h1b.htm

I hope you have a degree relevant to your profession.......

Some companies will say that college courses and experience can be used for the educational part of the requirements eg the degree.... This is not so... It may get you the initial visa but once you get to the stage you wish to start green card application it will eventually be denied......
Our lawyer, a prominent one with a wonderful reputation, huge offices in Los Angeles etc... gave us promises and reassurances as did the company sponsoring husband to work..... Basically we were used for his skills, and they dragged it out as long as they could.... We had no idea until it slapped us in the face......

We just lost everything... Now back in the UK... Our 4 kids dragged from the USA culture and lifestyle to the UK one thats totally unknown to them as they we so young when we left...... We have faced the stress of unemployment a homelessness, yes temporarily but that was enough stress for us to last a lifetime. All our hopes and dreams for a better life gone.... All because we trusted and believed lawyers and employers because we wanted something so much......

I am not saying you should give up your plans... I am saying that you should allways research yourself and be open to the fact that people do not allways know the right details even if they have the qualifications.... Especially in immigration as the laws change on a minute to minute basis sometimes.... And some people just manipulate to make money....

Again please listen to what people are telling you here.... Experiences passed on to other are supposed to benefit the next person.... But that person has to be willing to listen.......

OK Nuff said........

Oh and just so you know.... Posting this has been very hard, bringing back memories, so if you dissagree or whatever please just ignore this post and continue with the others, as to be honest. I have had enough of being upset lately........ Just thought I may be of help..... OK..... :)

Right now I am off to the thread about the cat pooping plastic...... I need a bloody good laugh........ :D

Manc Aug 26th 2004 7:01 pm

[QUOTE=honeymommy]

Originally Posted by Manc
A large percentage of what you read on this board are people who have been there and bought the T-shirt.

I live in real life.
and in the real world there is no sponsorship temporary H1B visa's until residency is established. The h1B is a non immigrant intent visa and needs to be renewed after 5 years. There is a chance that it could possibly lead to a Green Card. But talk to Honeymommy about how ****ed up her dreams are right now, That's real life right there.

In the real life mate, a Permanent Resident cannot sponsor a relative without waiting for approx 10 years.

QUOTE]

I have stayed out of this as I had no clue what to say really... I just feel sad for you......But at the same time I wish you every success in your dreams and hopes.... I'll give you this much... you seem to have great determination to do this... But I implore you to listen to the replies and research immigration yourself through the USCIS.......

Some companies will say that college courses and experience can be used for the educational part of the requirements eg the degree.... This is not so... It may get you the initial visa but once you get to the stage you wish to start green card application it will eventually be denied......
Our lawyer, a prominent one with a wonderful reputation, huge offices in Los Angeles etc... gave us promises and reassurances as did the company sponsoring husband to work..... Basically we were used for his skills, and they dragged it out as long as they could.... We had no idea until it slapped us in the face......

We just lost everything... Now back in the UK... Our 4 kids dragged from the USA culture and lifestyle to the UK one thats totally unknown to them as they we so young when we left...... We have faced the stress of unemployment a homelessness, yes temporarily but that was enough stress for us to last a lifetime. All our hopes and dreams for a better life gone.... All because we trusted and believed lawyers and employers because we wanted something so much......

I am not saying you should give up your plans... I am saying that you should allways research yourself and be open to the fact that people do not allways know the right details even if they have the qualifications.... Especially in immigration as the laws change on a minute to minute basis sometimes.... And some people just manipulate to make money....

Again please listen to what people are telling you here.... Experiences passed on to other are supposed to benefit the next person.... But that person has to be willing to listen.......

OK Nuff said........

Oh and just so you know.... Posting this has been very hard, bringing back memories, so if you dissagree or whatever please just ignore this post and continue with the others, as to be honest. I have had enough of being upset lately........ Just thought I may be of help..... OK..... :)

Right now I am off to the thread about the cat pooping plastic...... I need a bloody good laugh........ :D

I've karma'd you for your tupenneth there girl.

honeymommy Aug 26th 2004 9:15 pm

I've karma'd you for your tupenneth there girl.

Thanks Manc.... Thats 37 karma's now... What are they for by the way... LOL :D

Manc Aug 26th 2004 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Thanks Manc.... Thats 37 karma's now... What are they for by the way... LOL :D

kinda like a virtual chuffty badge,

honeymommy Aug 26th 2004 9:29 pm

kinda like a virtual chuffty badge,

Yah mean the tufty club? Took me back to my childhood there for a min....

Heres a game you may like....

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/games/r.../roadgame.html

Sorry off subject... LOL

CEO DMF Aug 27th 2004 12:42 pm

And you need to get married BEFORE you ever move out there and she will not be allowed to work.

Depends on which visa he gets over here on. My husband has an L1 visa and I have a work permit allowing me to work for anyone. Rules changes a couple of years ago, allowing spouses of L1 visa holders to work.

Manc Aug 27th 2004 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by CEO DMF
Depends on which visa he gets over here on. My husband has an L1 visa and I have a work permit allowing me to work for anyone. Rules changes a couple of years ago, allowing spouses of L1 visa holders to work.

Yeah but an L1 is a company transfer visa, which is not applicable in the OP's case.

the_wanderer Aug 29th 2004 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Duncs
If you don’t like the advice given here don’t ask next time. But when someone bothers to offer you advice which is correct you could at least be courteous enough to appreciate it rather than challenge every ****ing line and question their professional competence. :mad:

Hmm, don't like it when someone questions your competence yet quite happy to constantly bring my lawyers into question. Thought as much.

I really can't be bothered to defend my statements as anyone willing to get information from official sources (on either the financial or immigration side) will see the facts for themselves. Half of what i've been "advised" here with regards to my financial situation can be dispelled easily by reading the "Dealing With Debt" pack/booklet I mentioned in my previous post.

I'd hoped this thread would save me time hunting for information, I couldn't have been more wrong!

the_wanderer Aug 29th 2004 10:50 am

[QUOTE=honeymommy]

A large percentage of what you read on this board are people who have been there and bought the T-shirt.

I live in real life.

QUOTE]

OK Nuff said........

Believe me I am triple checking all the information as I go now, however I don't intend to use this site anymore due to mis-information and the argumentative / self obsessed nature of some posters. Shame really.

Luckily I know my lawyers are honest and not just in it for the money. It's hard to explain but they have strong ties to family / friends / ex-collegues, it would not be in there interest to string things out.

Anyhow, thanks for that, i'm glad to see there are some good, reasonable people on this site. I'm sorry to hear about your problems though, all the best for your future back here :)

the_wanderer Aug 29th 2004 11:14 am

Yeah but an L1 is a company transfer visa, which is not applicable in the OP's case.

Actually an L1 may prove to be the way to go, it seems there is nothing to stop my potential employer hiring me though one of their european offices and then transferring me a short amout of time later.
As the saying goes, where there's a will there's a way. I admit there is still a small chance it could go pear-shaped but there are various ways of doing this. For now though I'm leaving it to them to decide how they think this should progress.

Without checking back to the board I can't remember who mentioned my spanish g/f would not be able to work in the US.
However she actually shouldn't have a problem, her father owns a large holiday company based in Madrid, Paris, London & NY. He is looking at opening a second office in the US and is now (after a few words from a certain daughter) considering Miami and would want a trustworthy family member heavily involved in it's setup & running (as with the other offices).
Who knows, she may end up out there before me! :)

Ray Aug 29th 2004 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by the_wanderer
Actually an L1 may prove to be the way to go, it seems there is nothing to stop my potential employer hiring me though one of their european offices and then transferring me a short amout of time later.

That would be a minimum of one year later..you have to work for the company for a minimum of one year before application can be made ...

the_wanderer Aug 29th 2004 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
That would be a minimum of one year later..you have to work for the company for a minimum of one year before application can be made ...

Yeah that's what I found when I looked into it a bit more this afternoon. Although that only applies to a permanent transfer, so working out there on a temporary basis during at least some of that time should still be possible.

Think i'll look into that one, curious now :)