Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigration lines: Baltimore or Dulles?

Immigration lines: Baltimore or Dulles?

Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:42 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all
Default Immigration lines: Baltimore or Dulles?

Have been travelling back and forth btw the UK a fair bit this year and am exasperated at having to wait around 2 hrs to clear immigration at Dulles.

Can anyone tell me whether BWI is any better?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration lines: Baltimore or Dulles?

Originally Posted by IPM
Can anyone tell me whether BWI is any better?
Yes.

Ian
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to IAD? It's a year or two since I have been through there but I used to go through quite often and don't remember immigration ever taking more than 10 or 15 minutes.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

Fly with BA and take the 1140 flight....there are typically no other flights around when you land and it will take you 5-10 minutes to clear immigration (not always the case but more often than not)
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:01 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
What happened to IAD? It's a year or two since I have been through there but I used to go through quite often and don't remember immigration ever taking more than 10 or 15 minutes.
that's really weird. I came back into the US via IAD on Saturday. Was in immigration no more than 15 minutes
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

You can check seasonal immigration wait times at the 23 busiest airports in the US, including Dulles, here.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are lucky ...

All I got was
Error message= y is null
URL= http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/index.asp
Line Number= 263
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
If you are lucky ...

All I got was

I got the same answer.. are we on the same flight, too!?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I used to use Baltimore a lot. It's fine, much better than, say, JFK or Dulles, and there is a train station at the airport linking you with downtown DC and Baltimore.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:03 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

One reason I don't use BWI is the lack of airline lounges. I think the one lounge is sort of 'universal' for all the airlines, whereas BA has their own dedicated lounge at IAD. I also generally liked the flight schedules from IAD better (a couple of flights a day on BA vs the one at BWI). I also try to game it at IAD by sitting or standing at the front of the people movers such that when they do open the door to immigration I'm at the front of the line.

I have a US passport and have NEVER had more than a 5 minute wait at immigration in over 30 or 40 flights to IAD from LHR. In fact I've never gotten to baggage claims after my luggage has arrived. However I've heard there are some ugly lines in the non-USC lines, especially after a flight from other parts of the world (i.e. the Middle East or Africa) arrives as the few guys on duty seem to interrogate those customers a bit more than flights from the EU.