Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are immigration costs tax deductible?

Are immigration costs tax deductible?

Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are immigration costs tax deductible?

Getting ready to do my taxes in the next couple of weeks, and this just occurred to me.

My I-751 application costs $545. I'm not permitted to work without doing that (it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the vague idea). So if it's a cost incurred by me to allow me to work, is that a tax decuctible expense?

I know someone in the past who used to claim road toll charges since the toll roads formed his route to work. The costs were basically incurred as a result of him working.

My immigration costs are basically incurred as a result of me working in the US.

Does the same concept apply? Anyone ever done it?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are immigration costs tax deductible?

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Getting ready to do my taxes in the next couple of weeks, and this just occurred to me.

My I-751 application costs $545. I'm not permitted to work without doing that (it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the vague idea). So if it's a cost incurred by me to allow me to work, is that a tax decuctible expense?

I know someone in the past who used to claim road toll charges since the toll roads formed his route to work. The costs were basically incurred as a result of him working.

My immigration costs are basically incurred as a result of me working in the US.

Does the same concept apply? Anyone ever done it?
To my knowledge immigration expenses are considered personal expenses and are not deductible.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:56 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to deduct certain fees one year when I was self employed as it was related to a business expense.

If you are not self employed then, no.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, worth a try.

(I'm not self employed)

Thanks for the responses
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

britgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to all

So if you are self-employed, does this mean you can!?

Both my husband & I are self-employed and about to shell out for an Unconditional GC - so I would love to know!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britgalusa

Both my husband & I are self-employed and about to shell out for an Unconditional GC - so I would love to know!
Just for the EAD I believe...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

britgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to allbritgalusa is a name known to all

Thanks for confirming Bob
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britgalusa

Interesting question.

I don't think immigration fees are deductible, but consider this:

Divorce costs aren't deductable, but I know the part that can be segregated for tax planning and the finances are deductable! Child support isn't deductable, but if the degree allocates $x for child support and $y for alimony, then the alimony portion is deductable to the "giver" and taxable income to the "receiver"

I would think immigration wouldn't be as clear cut either.

A thought, as a self employed individual, would the IRS on audit claim the immigration fees were inappropiately allocated to the business schedule instead of being allocated to personal?

On the other hand, if the self employed (or an incorporated entity) sponsored an future employee would the IRS on audit allow the deduction?

Immigration fees can be substantial and it's possible the IRS rulings have published regulations on this matter. This is a matter for the professionals specializing in this matter

Errol
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping costs for your belongings are deductable.... according to my tax people...
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Shipping costs for your belongings are deductable.... according to my tax people...
Can be deductible.