British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Immigration change (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/immigration-change-901071/)

leepne Aug 2nd 2017 3:47 pm

Immigration change

President Trump and two GOP senators are announcing a new plan to drastically cut legal immigration into the United States.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPoli...0618481636302/

Currently live, but will show full video when finished.

boltonreddave Aug 2nd 2017 8:09 pm

Re: Immigration change

Currently 18 months in on L1A and L2. I'll be asking the wife to have that GC chat soon! While not worried about qualifying, who knows when this will start and what disruption it will cause

albanks2542 Aug 2nd 2017 8:22 pm

They should get rid of the diversity lottery. You shouldn't be able to win a life in another country in a lottery draw. And they should axe the family based visas. They are a joke. Aren't their people been waiting 20 years to get their family visas. I am surprised Trump isn't proposing polygraphing for marriage fraud and repealing immigration through same sex marriage to be prevent sham marriage on the part of females.

StuBear65 Aug 2nd 2017 8:23 pm

Some interesting figures quoted, I wonder where they were plucked from?

Pollyana Aug 2nd 2017 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12307971)
They should get rid of the diversity lottery. You shouldn't be able to win a life in another country in a lottery draw. And they should axe the family based visas. They are a joke. Aren't their people been waiting 20 years to get their family visas. I am surprised Trump isn't proposing polygraphing for marriage fraud and repealing immigration through same sex marriage to be prevent sham marriage on the part of females.

Why females? Don't males get involved in sham marriages too?

petitefrancaise Aug 2nd 2017 10:17 pm

plus ca change....

I'm not going to hold my breath. Has Trump actually managed to change anything at all yet?

tom169 Aug 2nd 2017 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12307971)

Alright, albanks, I've sort of got used to the hot air you spout.

However, this time you have outdone yourself.

I have no clue what correlation you're drawing between same sex marriage, sham marriages and females. :rofl:

Owen778 Aug 2nd 2017 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12308032)
plus ca change....

I'm not going to hold my breath. Has Trump actually managed to change anything at all yet?

That's a little unfair. He's managed to change his Communications Director several times.

petitefrancaise Aug 2nd 2017 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12308041)
That's a little unfair. He's managed to change his Communications Director several times.

:rofl:

do you think he's noticed?

albanks2542 Aug 2nd 2017 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12308039)
Alright, albanks, I've sort of got used to the hot air you spout.

However, this time you have outdone yourself.

I have no clue what correlation you're drawing between same sex marriage, sham marriages and females. :rofl:

How many neurotic american women would engage in sham marriage with none american female friends to keep or get them in the country? I wonder how many times it has happened? I bet it has. And how would you stop it. Polygraph? You polygraph gay marriage you have to got to polygraph straight marriage.

albanks2542 Aug 2nd 2017 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12308031)
Why females? Don't males get involved in sham marriages too?

To other men to get a man into the country? I don't see two guys pronouncing themselves chuck and larry somehow do you?.

Nutmegger Aug 2nd 2017 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by albanks2542 (Post 12308055)
How many neurotic american women would engage in sham marriage with none american female friends to keep or get them in the country? I wonder how many times it has happened? I bet it has. And how would you stop it. Polygraph? You polygraph gay marriage you have to got to polygraph straight marriage.

You must be kidding! Someone who wanted to fly below the radar in a non bona fide marriage would go for a heterosexual union. Same sex marriage is new to immigration and consequently more likely to be scrutinized.

albanks2542 Aug 2nd 2017 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12308064)
You must be kidding! Someone who wanted to fly below the radar in a non bona fide marriage would go for a heterosexual union. Same sex marriage is new to immigration and consequently more likely to be scrutinized.

I can't see them accusing gays of lying without going after straight people in the same vein. I am sure it has happened and with trumps attitudes to women I am surprised he hasn't said something. Maybe going after the gays would be step to far for Trump and he knows it.

Steve_ Aug 2nd 2017 11:26 pm

It's not an immigration "reform" bill, they're lying (for a change).

All it does is repeal the DV lottery and massively tighten the quota for family-based preference categories, and it removes the ability of a US citizen to sponsor in their parents and replaces it with a non-immigrant category for that instead (so the parents could never work or qualify for Medicare). The only positive reform in it is that spouses of LPRs wouldn't have to wait for a visa number.

It doesn't mention employment-based anything at all.

That appears to all be in the realms of regulatory change, which they could do, but without upping the quota for EB categories, it's largely meaningless. You'd still need a job offer from an employer, so adding on other requirements like English language proficiency is window dressing.

What they're really talking about is a huge cut in immigration by making it nearly impossible to immigrate through a preference category. Most immigration would still be via marriage to a US citizen.

Steve_ Aug 2nd 2017 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by boltonreddave (Post 12307957)
Currently 18 months in on L1A and L2. I'll be asking the wife to have that GC chat soon! While not worried about qualifying, who knows when this will start and what disruption it will cause

It will make virtually zero difference to EB categories and it stands zero chance of passing Congress anyway. Already a bunch of Republicans come out against it.