Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigration bill suffers defeat

Wikiposts

Immigration bill suffers defeat

Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:58 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration bill suffers defeat

theres a 99% way to secure the border...electric fences, machine gun posts, land mines, 24 hour gaurd dog patrols...and a zero tolerance policy ....was pretty effective with Berlin
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
theres a 99% way to secure the border...electric fences, machine gun posts, land mines, 24 hour gaurd dog patrols...and a zero tolerance policy ....was pretty effective with Berlin
It was also a mere 96 miles long. Plenty got through the rest of the rather longer iron curtain, too!

"Overall, more than 5,000 persons, so-called "Wall Breakers", succeeded in crossing the Wall. Over 3,200 were arrested while attempting to escape and, as a rule, they were sentenced to several years in prison.

More than 100 people were killed attempting to cross the Wall, over 200 were wounded by gun shots. Because extreme secrecy was maintained in the German Democratic Republic regarding such matters, research on the exact figures is not yet complete."
Source: http://www.germany.info/relaunch/wel...rlin/wall.html
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:27 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It was also a mere 96 miles long. Plenty got through the rest of the rather longer iron curtain, too!

"Overall, more than 5,000 persons, so-called "Wall Breakers", succeeded in crossing the Wall. .
I assume that's a bit different because the wall was there to keep people in not from coming in, but either way I could live with 5000 illegals in the country, so I say we switch to their methods.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
I assume that's a bit different because the wall was there to keep people in not from coming in, but either way I could live with 5000 illegals in the country, so I say we switch to their methods
5,000 @ 96 miles averages 52 crossings/mile

Length of US/Mexico border = 1951 miles

=> expected inflow = 52 x 1951 = 100k give or take!

Still, I suppose divided down over 30 or 40 years it wouldn't be so bad.

How much are you prepared to spend, though? It must have swallowed up an awful lot of East German resources in manpower alone.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:50 pm

How much are you prepared to spend, though? It must have swallowed up an awful lot of East German resources in manpower alone.
Well if the government would stop wasting my money in Iraq, they could probably build a gold plated wall and shoot silver bullets on our borders
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:52 pm
Septicity

Well if the government would stop wasting my money in Iraq, they could probably build a gold plated wall and shoot silver bullets on our borders
But then all those terrorists would come and get us and we couldn't sleep soundly in our beds at night for fear they might slit our throats while sleeping!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:59 pm

But then all those terrorists would come and get us and we couldn't sleep soundly in our beds at night for fear they might slit our throats while sleeping!
Well if they haven't got in already, they will never get in and stacking everything we have in Iraq on our border will make sure it stays that way. Plus I agree with Ron Paul that our problems are somewhat brought on ourselves by sticking our noses in everyone's business. Blowback as he called it.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:05 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

This whole debate always gets my goat. There is so much room in this country that space is not an issue, it was built from the ground up by immigrants and the economy is screwed for a hundred reasons and none of them are because of the immigration problem. The whole debate is just used as a red herring to stop americans from looking into the real issues as to why this country is getting farther and farther away from the ideals on which it was founded.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
This whole debate always gets my goat. There is so much room in this country that space is not an issue, it was built from the ground up by immigrants and the economy is screwed for a hundred reasons and none of them are because of the immigration problem. The whole debate is just used as a red herring to stop americans from looking into the real issues as to why this country is getting farther and farther away from the ideals on which it was founded.
STANDING OVATION.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Youre right but it is also an issue that needs sorting. Problem is it can never be a rational debate because people get too hot under the collar on both sides. Both those for immigrants rights and also those who feel that unchecked illegal immigration is a danger to society. People somehow cant see the wood for the trees in this debate., they can only see red.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:38 pm
Septicity

Plus I agree with Ron Paul that our problems are somewhat brought on ourselves by sticking our noses in everyone's business. Blowback as he called it.
Wow! Americans really are progressing!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:51 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
STANDING OVATION.
Erm.......wasn't expecting that!!!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There's no bloody way there will ever be an effective wall on the Mexican border.

The solution is to throw the people who employ them in jail, and to develop a *real* immigration policy. It'd help if the Mexican government would quit stealing their people blind, too.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:04 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Adnams
Youre right but it is also an issue that needs sorting. Problem is it can never be a rational debate because people get too hot under the collar on both sides. Both those for immigrants rights and also those who feel that unchecked illegal immigration is a danger to society. People somehow cant see the wood for the trees in this debate., they can only see red.
Agreed. Great post. Karmic stuff even
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno about Michigan, never been there.

My Town will be built out in less than 5 years, they currently charge $30,000 for a water tap and have a limit on the building permits issued per year. Twice the minimum wage.

They could build from Denver to Chicago, where the water would come from is another issue.

And of course the land is needed to produce ethanol.

I had connections with the Bay Area (Berkeley), very suportive of Undocumeted Americans, but not to the extent of building housing for them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.