Immigration based on marriage

Immigration based on marriage

Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:16 am
Just Joined

marcus_t is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Immigration based on marriage

Hi there,

A quick wrap up of the history:
I met my wife last May (2003) in Brazil, went to visit her for 2 months in August, just before I left for Switzerland (where I am from) on October 19 we got Marriage licenses and shortly after my return we got married (November 4). I entered the US with an I-94W Visa waiver and the Officer did not ask me about the purpose of my visit. I am currently filling out all the paperwork and have a few questions that I hope somebody out there knows more about ...

- Is there going to be any problems since I entered the US with the intention of getting married? If so, how to avoid that?

- I have lived in the US for one year on an F1 student Visa, do I need to mention that address on the G325A?

- What documents do you recommend I bring to support the application?

I hope somebody can help me with all this as hiring a lawyer would not be our prefered choice ...

Thanks,
Marcus
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:24 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration based on marriage

Entering the USA on a Visa Waiver with the intent on getting married to a US citizen and to remain.. is illegal.. See a competent Immigration Lawyer..

Last edited by ray6; Nov 6th 2003 at 3:55 am.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:41 am
JeanDupont

Hi
Can you tell me if that means it is illegal for 2 British people to enter US for the purpose of getting married in Las Vegas to each other.
Should we be getting a visa for this rather than just travelling on a visa waiver?
Or is it illegal - period?

Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JeanDupont
Hi
Can you tell me if that means it is illegal for 2 British people to enter US for the purpose of getting married in Las Vegas to each other.
Should we be getting a visa for this rather than just travelling on a visa waiver?
Or is it illegal - period?
No!! my previous answer was poorly worded ....for two UK citizens to come over, get married, have Honeymoon..and then return to the UK is no problem at all.. except your respective mothers might give you hell as they were not there..Say hello to Elvis for me
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:36 am
Just Joined

marcus_t is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. The thing is talked to an immigration officer before my departure and he said as long as I did not lie to the officer at customs I would be alright. Furthermore my intent of entrance was not solely to get married but also to look at schools to possible apply to (as an intl. student). Is there a recommendation as to how to word this in the upcoming interview (still like 8 months away)? And where do I find the according Immigration law code?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:51 pm
Ray

Originally posted by marcus_t
Thanks for your reply. The thing is talked to an immigration officer before my departure and he said as long as I did not lie to the officer at customs I would be alright. Furthermore my intent of entrance was not solely to get married but also to look at schools to possible apply to (as an intl. student). Is there a recommendation as to how to word this in the upcoming interview (still like 8 months away)? And where do I find the according Immigration law code?
The way you have chosen is fraught with danger but it is possible.. if you AOS is refused you have real serious problems...but do read up all you can at the USCIS web site
http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm