Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigrating with pets - any tips?

Immigrating with pets - any tips?

Old Jul 24th 2013, 8:57 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigrating with pets - any tips?

ABZ - AMS - IAH.

I have seen dogs on the plane more than once. The most up to date info is on the KLM website if you use the search term pets. Ours was baggage as he weighs 40 lbs.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I did not think they let animals in the Cabin on International flights?
Some airlines do. Airlines flying into the UK are not allowed to transport pets in the cabin...unless they are service dogs.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Ailidh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Hi I am so sorry to hear that your dog died! What happened? We are getting ready to fly our 3 Chihuahua's early next year and your post just made my heart drop!
The whole story's on here, I posted it after this happened on December 19, 2012.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 12:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailidh
The whole story's on here, I posted it after this happened on December 19, 2012.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779840
Old Jul 25th 2013, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Ailidh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

On Lufthansa, cats and very small dogs (don't know the weight limit as both our dogs were big girls and had to be transported - unfortunately as it transpired - in the hold) can be transported in the cabin. I think there is a limit on number of animals in the cabin though, so you need to reserve in advance. My husband travelled on United with one cat and for United there is a limit of 3 animals per cabin I think I remember.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ailidh
Thanks!

On Lufthansa, cats and very small dogs (don't know the weight limit as both our dogs were big girls and had to be transported - unfortunately as it transpired - in the hold) can be transported in the cabin. I think there is a limit on number of animals in the cabin though, so you need to reserve in advance. My husband travelled on United with one cat and for United there is a limit of 3 animals per cabin I think I remember.
I believe the number of pets in the cabin is restricted. Best to check with the airline for details as it can vary.

Just to emphasize...pets cannot be transported in the cabin on any flight into the UK. All pets entering the UK by air must travel in the cabin...on a designated route...by a designated airline.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 25th 2013 at 1:10 am.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:14 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Hello and welcome to BE.

I know this is in reverse of what you're planning and I'm talking dog not cat, but I just flew my dog from Denver to LHR. I did not use a pet service because the process is pretty straight forward. Of course, I will never know how she was on the plane but the staff at both ends were lovely and very kind and she has fared very well.

Would it help to drive from Newcastle to Heathrow to minimize the time your cats are not with you or do you think the extra time it would take would increase the stress?

There are lots of people on BE who have flown animals and I think we all say the same thing - it was harder for us than the animal. We never really know what they're experiencing though.
I honestly thought you had to use a carrier company to get into the UK - was it the airline cargo company who provided the service?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

If the dogs fly in the cabin can you take them out after take off? I am worried that they might start yapping and I will have a whole plane wanting to kill us! LOL Do they stay with you from check in and through customs? Do they have to stay under the seat?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:40 am
The worse half of Weeze

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
If the dogs fly in the cabin can you take them out after take off? I am worried that they might start yapping and I will have a whole plane wanting to kill us! LOL Do they stay with you from check in and through customs? Do they have to stay under the seat?
I've seen someone walking their dog in business class on KLM before.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
I'd consider not bringing them: they may not fare so well outside here as they do in the UK. Most people I know with cats keep them inside which is really cruel if they have been used to freedom. Even worse if you live in an apartment block on a high floor - how would they get out? Jump off the balcony?

Best to give them to someone else and think about a small dog which appear to be the annoying and yappy small pet of choice here in LA.
Ohh my gosh!! What a complete clown!

Pets brought in from the UK are fine here!
Old Jun 13th 2014, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

We have 4 cats who are part of our family but we are not bringing them with us to California. All 4 are outdoor cats, they come and go as they please I all weather and it would just be too difficult to find suitable accommodation in the US that would allow us to have 4 cats and also have outside space for them.

It's heartbreaking to have made the decision to not bring them and right now we are desperately trying to find new homes for them and it's not easy.

It's not a decision we have taken lightly and we will not be getting any pets in the US for this reason. We don't want to have to have to make this choice again. I know some people won't agree with us but we love out cats too much to change their lives so dramatically. We would rather they went to new homes in the UK.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:00 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarnished
My normal travel route is Newcastle airport, to London Heathrow, then onto Los Angeles - obviously taking into consideration waiting time between flights, clearing customs, then a 1-2 hour drive from LAX to my new home. That's around 16 hours travel time that the cats would have to tolerate too.
Hi Tarnished, we took our 2 cats with us to LA. We actually flew from Germany, so I don't know the technicalities of transporting pets from the UK, but personally I would fly them cargo rather than in-cabin.

I know, on the one hand, it's much more reassuring to have them with you; but on the other, their travel crates for flying cargo will be very roomy and more comfortable for such a long journey. They'll have space to sit up, turn around, etc.

Depending on your cats' sizes, an in-cabin carrier may be very cramped in comparison -- don't they have to fit under the seat in front? -- and I don't think many cats would suit being taken out of their carrier for a leg-stretch mid-flight. (I think they're not supposed to be taken out, either.) Ditto for at the airport. Even with harnesses on, mine would have freaked out. At least in a cargo crate, they have room to move a bit whilst also being shielded from the noise and people around them.

But that's just my opinion. Depends what kind of cats you have! Mine are now back in the UK, having crossed the Atlantic twice. We flew Air Berlin and then BA, and both trips were fine. Cats were predictably pissed off with the journey, but they happily adapted to our new homes as soon as we arrived.

Do yours have microchips and pet passports yet? I would recommend you get that done before you leave, just in case; it's not necessary for the US, but is very handy if you ever return to the EU.

Also, FYI, it's very very expensive to fly pets back into the UK -- but if you're moving to the US permanently then you don't need to worry about this.

Are yours indoor-only? Ours always have been, so it wasn't too much of an adjustment to LA, where nearly all cats seem to be indoor-only.

To start with, I'd contact airlines which fly LHR-LAX and asking about their pet policy and prices.

Later on, you'll need to check pet import requirements for California, but these are unlikely to be very demanding (they certainly weren't when we arrived). Usually it's a rabies certificate, plus a certificate of general health (aka a fit-to-fly document) issued by a vet shortly before travel. Your airline will also have various requirements re. paperwork.

Good luck! It's stressful, but I found getting the pets to California was much more straightforward (and cheaper) than getting them to the UK.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 2:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Hi Tarnished, we took our 2 cats with us to LA. We actually flew from Germany, so I don't know the technicalities of transporting pets from the UK, but personally I would fly them cargo rather than in-cabin.
Tarnished hasn't been here since May 2013 -- for some reason this thread came back from the dead!