Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Immigrant Visa timescale/deadline

Immigrant Visa timescale/deadline

Old Jun 18th 2002, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough
Default Immigrant Visa timescale/deadline

I am a UK resident, married to a US resident. We both reside permanently in UK, and are about to commence the process of obtaining an immigrant visa.

Once (if) we have secured this visa, is there any timescale which I have to adhere to for moving to USA? e.g when my wife received her UK immigration authorisation, it only remained valid for 6 months, and if she had to wait longer than that, she would have had to re-apply.
Old Jun 18th 2002, 10:20 pm
Mark Carroll

Default Re: Immigrant Visa timescale/deadline

In article <[email protected]>, John Murray <[email protected]>
wrote: (snip)
    >Once (if) we have secured this visa, is there any timescale which I have to adhere
    >to for moving to USA? e.g when my wife received her UK immigration authorisation, it
    >only remained valid for 6 months, and if she had to wait longer than that, she would
    >have had to re-apply.

I think it's also 6 months, IIRC. I don't know if it can be extended at all.

-- Mark

Old Jun 19th 2002, 4:20 pm
L D Jones

Default Re: Immigrant Visa timescale/deadline

John Murray wrote:
    >
    > I am a UK resident, married to a US resident. We both reside permanently in UK, and
    > are about to commence the process of obtaining an immigrant visa.
    >
    > Once (if) we have secured this visa, is there any timescale which I have to adhere
    > to for moving to USA? e.g when my wife received her UK immigration authorisation,
    > it only remained valid for 6 months, and if she had to wait longer than that, she
    > would have had to re-apply.

It will be valid for 6 months. I've never heard of extending the visa validity period
but this does not mean it isn't possible. If you need more time in the UK you could
always enter the US, validate your visa (get I-551 stamp in your passport), and then
return to the UK. As long as you don't stay away "too long" this would be no problem.