Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm trying to like the USA

I'm trying to like the USA

Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:05 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm trying to like the USA

Originally Posted by robin1234
Frozen north?? We usually have a good thaw in late June/early July, just before the first frost..
Brrr. I live in the south east, and it was 73 deg yesterday!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 2:17 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
The healthcare is not too terrible, but why are the ladies in the front office always such battleaxes?
That's a worldwide issue. The receptionist in Aberdeen used to always ask very loudly why you wanted to see a doctor or nurse. When you have medical training I will tell you my problems. Until then, lets just stick with you making the appointment for me.

I think any place you live is as good as you make it. For me, the USA has offered me more independence than I had in the UK. I didn't really drive in the UK. Here I've had to. Driving has allowed me to get out and about more and do a wider variety of things. It's also freed up weekends for family time. Living in the USA has also increased my confidence. I've had to go out and make an effort to meet people and I think that has made me a more confident person than I was when I arrived.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:02 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
That's a worldwide issue. The receptionist in Aberdeen used to always ask very loudly why you wanted to see a doctor or nurse. When you have medical training I will tell you my problems. Until then, lets just stick with you making the appointment for me.
Rozz

I think any place you live is as good as you make it.
There is a lot of truth in this.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:14 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...40741759_n.jpg

heh
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:16 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I think any place you live is as good as you make it.
Originally Posted by Nutek
Seems to me, the question should be about "are you happy here"?
For me these two responses sum it up.

Am I happy here? No. However, to put it in context, I have to admit I'm never happy. Anywhere. That's just me. If anyone doesn't like that, I really don't care.

Life is all about working at increasing exposure and opportunities to the things that make you happy, and meanwhile working at reducing exposure to the things that make you unhappy. It doesn't all just get handed to you on a plate.

To the OP....try harder.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:30 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Big houses - I guess this is true of Texas/Houston rather than the whole country but my house is 3-4 times bigger than my Mum's house in the UK and is well under half the price. Is more expensive to maintain/run though.
Friendly attitude. Honestly, I find most people here very very friendly and approachable.
The fact you can swim outside 8 months a year (well if you're a Brit and then anything above 70 is warm!)
The beer. It's not bitter, but there's some damn good micro breweries around.
BBQ. Why don't we have brisket in the UK?!
Mexican food. Why don't we have TexMex in the UK?!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Mexican food.
Yes!

I could quite happily do without many things I have and do here if we were to live elsewhere in the world but good Mexican food is something I really would miss. It has almost overtaken Indian as my favourite ethnic fare, actually.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So have I...but there again we have great heathcare insurance...many don't.
Just because people do not have insurance in no way reflects on the quality of the care. It just means they don't have access to it.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:38 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yes!

I could quite happily do without many things I have and do here if we were to live elsewhere in the world but good Mexican food is something I really would miss. It has almost overtaken Indian as my favourite ethnic fare, actually.
It probably has for me too, but only because good Indian food is really hard to come by here. I do love a good Thai as well though - great little place near my work that's fantastic and cheap!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just because people do not have insurance in no way reflects on the quality of the care.
I think it does.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:43 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

It probably has for me too, but only because good Indian food is really hard to come by here. I do love a good Thai as well though - great little place near my work that's fantastic and cheap!
Tandoori Garden, on Fry just north of I10
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We are lucky enough to have a good Indian restaurant close by. I do like the Chinese food here as well, inauthentic as it may be but Mexican is just edging ahead.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think it does.
No it doesn't the quality of the care remains the same. Just some get it and others get left to suffer until they have the money to pay for it.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:14 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me what's great about this country...
I'm in it.

Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
No it doesn't the quality of the care remains the same. Just some get it and others get left to suffer until they have the money to pay for it.
Or until they die! Which is pretty awesome if you think about it.

No care = pretty crappy quality of care, imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.