Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm trying to like the USA

I'm trying to like the USA

Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm trying to like the USA

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd have so done it a few years ago if we had that kind of spare cash knocking around...if for nothing else, so I can become an arsehole Mass driver and not worry about getting deported for politely telling someone how wonderful their driving is

Yeah, it is a bloody pricy endeavour but a small price to pay for having the ability to tell USCIS to shove it and to keep Mittens out of the White House
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:59 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd have so done it a few years ago if we had that kind of spare cash knocking around...if for nothing else, so I can become an arsehole Mass driver and not worry about getting deported for politely telling someone how wonderful their driving is
Masshole

Actually the drivers in MA pale in comparison to the drivers here in South FL. My only real issue with driving in / around Boston was the poorly lit highways (or not lit at all) and dangerously short merging lanes. I do not miss the Beverly > Burlington commute at all!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:45 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Hello again. Well for one thing you have to like the fact that you're in S.Fla this time of year, right?

But I'm not going to sugarcoat things. I've been here 20 years and the longer I stay the more I come to loathe it. I came with an open mind, I didn't jump to conclusions - I watched and learned and experienced American life. Now after 20 years I've made up my mind. Here's a few starters:

1) capital punishment - Wrong
2) Lack of gun control - Wrong
3) Lack of affordable healthcare - Wrong
4) Callous disregard for road safety - pathetic driving test standards - Wrong
5) Political system controlled by a fascist industrial lobby (medical and military) - Wrong
6) Lack of proper public transit (especially Florida because I want an alternative to being killed by a product of our lax driver training system and lack of vehicle safety checks and pathetic minimum insurance requirements) - Wrong
7) Asinine zoning/planning rules encouraging urban sprawl and unwalkable neighborhoods - Wrong
8) The rise of neo-con right wing evangelical militants and being perpetually at war - Wrong
9) Florida 'stand your ground law' - F**king stupid (and so say all the Sheriffs and Police chiefs, but that counts for jack shit in Tallahassee)
10) 1 million concealed weapons permits in Florida - yeay! Totally f**king scary
11) Civil law - lack of 'loser pays' system - Wrong (I've seen someone almost bankrupted even though he won the case!!)

I could go on and on, but feel free to chime in with a few of your own!

As you can probably gather I have some serious moral contentions with this place. I'll stay until I retire (pretty hard to change jobs in mid-50's), then you can be sure I'm outta here.

So don't feel bad - it's ok to not like it
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 12:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Hello again. Well for one thing you have to like the fact that you're in S.Fla this time of year, right?

But I'm not going to sugarcoat things. I've been here 20 years and the longer I stay the more I come to loathe it. I came with an open mind, I didn't jump to conclusions - I watched and learned and experienced American life. Now after 20 years I've made up my mind. Here's a few starters:

1) capital punishment - Wrong
2) Lack of gun control - Wrong
3) Lack of affordable healthcare - Wrong
4) Callous disregard for road safety - pathetic driving test standards - Wrong
5) Political system controlled by a fascist industrial lobby (medical and military) - Wrong
6) Lack of proper public transit (especially Florida because I want an alternative to being killed by a product of our lax driver training system and lack of vehicle safety checks and pathetic minimum insurance requirements) - Wrong
7) Asinine zoning/planning rules encouraging urban sprawl and unwalkable neighborhoods - Wrong
8) The rise of neo-con right wing evangelical militants and being perpetually at war - Wrong
9) Florida 'stand your ground law' - F**king stupid (and so say all the Sheriffs and Police chiefs, but that counts for jack shit in Tallahassee)
10) 1 million concealed weapons permits in Florida - yeay! Totally f**king scary
11) Civil law - lack of 'loser pays' system - Wrong (I've seen someone almost bankrupted even though he won the case!!)

I could go on and on, but feel free to chime in with a few of your own!

As you can probably gather I have some serious moral contentions with this place. I'll stay until I retire (pretty hard to change jobs in mid-50's), then you can be sure I'm outta here.

So don't feel bad - it's ok to not like it
Substitute NJ for Florida and I could have written that myself.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 2:01 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Florida is a toilet. I cannot argue with any of your (valid) points. I am kicking myself for returning here from the comparative sanity and normalcy of Massachusetts; 4 seasons of the year, better employment rights, public transport and somewhat better drivers.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 4:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
It probably has for me too, but only because good Indian food is really hard to come by here. I do love a good Thai as well though - great little place near my work that's fantastic and cheap!
Have you tried Nirvana? Memorial/Dairy Ashford. Went to the lunch buffet there last week. Cracking good meal for $12.50. Need to get there early though, cos it gets busy. In the evening its a bit pricier, but offset by BYOB...
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 4:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yes!

I could quite happily do without many things I have and do here if we were to live elsewhere in the world but good Mexican food is something I really would miss. It has almost overtaken Indian as my favourite ethnic fare, actually.
I've never really hit it off with tex mex. I always end up with fajitas (which I love), because every time I try something else, it just seems to be tortillas rolled in different ways with different arrangements of melted cheese and sloppy beans on a burning hot plate that seems to have been under the heat lamp too long.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Bink
BBQ. Why don't we have brisket in the UK?!
Next meet up - leave the kids at home and head to the Swinging Door....best BBQ around, and a good selection of beer. Eating is "family style" which to them just means a continually refilling buffet in the middle of the table, relieving you of the inconvenience of having to get off your fat arse to go and refill your trough
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 7:13 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
The voice of reason of BE speaks.

I seriously feel like flying to Oz just to have a few beers with you and put the world to rights.
Cold beer in the fridge, perfect 26 degrees forecast for Christmas day. Swim in the gulf after dinner & world waiting to be put to rights
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 7:35 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Cold beer in the fridge, perfect 26 degrees forecast for Christmas day. Swim in the gulf after dinner & world waiting to be put to rights
He may actually find something he likes in Australia..
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 8:12 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
You think so ?
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 1:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I've never been anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere. No burning desire to, but that's not to say I wouldn't give it a shot, should the opportunity arise. The time difference between Oz and the UK would make it 10 times more difficult to watch live footy though. I really would have to find a new sport.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
He could come to Texas and do that.

(except for some reason the weather has turned chilly)
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
He could come to Texas and do that.

(except for some reason the weather has turned chilly)
It's a bone-chilling 55 degrees here in South FL. Not cold by my standards, but it's always amusing to see Floridians dressed as if they were in the midst of an arctic winter.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
It's a bone-chilling 55 degrees here in South FL. Not cold by my standards, but it's always amusing to see Floridians dressed as if they were in the midst of an arctic winter.
We even had a frost this morning....shock horror OMG. I need to move somewhere warmer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.