Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm there! (Or here. Or something.)

I'm there! (Or here. Or something.)

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:24 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default I'm there! (Or here. Or something.)

Well, I am now in Mountain View, CA.

I arrived on Wednesday, picked up my supertanker-on-wheels hire car (seemingly, no one wants 'full size' cars any more, so you tend to get 'upgraded' for free to something that can eat the contents of three oil wells every hundred metres), and drove down to Mountain View.

After checking in to the extended stay place (I'm here for a couple of weeks until I find something more permanent), I went to the bank (BoA) to open an account. They were very good, if a little weirded out by the funny looking international banker's draft I had with me (though it was accepted without any problems). Yesterday, I was mostly just recovering, with a bit of retail therapy thrown in (I had forgotten to bring any plug adaptors, so a pilgrimage to Radio Shack came in useful). And I got a pay-as-you-go SIM card for my existing mobile from the T-mobile shop over the road. And then went to Fry's in Palo Alto to get myself a car GPS (didn't fancy navigating and driving at the same time whilst not being *that* used to driving on the right) and a replacement for my recently-deceased digital camera (so people back home don't kill me for not sending them pictures). Jet lag is being a bit crap, but I expected that (my body will only generally shift by about an hour a day whether I like it or not).

So, preliminaries are over. Next things are sorting out a replacement social security card, a driving test, buying a car and finding somewhere to live, not necessarily in that order.

It feels like everything depends on everything else. I asked about getting a mobile on a proper contract, but that would have been a major pain (and would probably have needed a big deposit) so I went for a pay-as-you-go SIM instead. I'll probably keep it as a spare for use by visitors. So there's one circular dependency avoided. Not having a permanent address yet seems to be in the way of all kinds of things (including, most likely, getting a replacement SS card, and probably as a consequence also a driving licence), so it seems really important to sort that out next as an immediate priority.

So the house hunt starts today. (Goes to read craigslist...)
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm there! (Or here. Or something.)

Originally Posted by st326
Well, I am now in Mountain View, CA...........So the house hunt starts today. (Goes to read craigslist...)
Hiya!

So what brought you here then?

You shouldn't need the actual SS card - I assume you know your number? That, plus proof of legal status (visa) should be sufficient to get your driver's licence.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:35 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hiya!

So what brought you here then?

You shouldn't need the actual SS card - I assume you know your number? That, plus proof of legal status (visa) should be sufficient to get your driver's licence.
I'm here for a job. Unlike a lot of people here, I didn't marry anyone! :-)

I'm currently getting somewhere to live and other basics sorted out for the next couple of weeks, but I start on July 3rd (woohoo, first holiday on second-day-of-work!).

I'll try the DMV anyway, I'll see what they say. I do have a printout from the social security office from last time I was here, so I'll have to see if they accept that OK. From things I've read, though, they have tightened up a lot recently and now seemingly want verification from USCIS? doG only knows how long *that* will take. I think I'll spend the next couple of days house hunting, and leave tackling the DMV for next week!
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back!

Good luck with everything.......it can seem so daunting, cant it! Have fun with the flat/condo/room hunting too.

Let us know if u r coming down San Diego way.

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here for a job. Unlike a lot of people here, I didn't marry anyone! :-)

I'm currently getting somewhere to live and other basics sorted out for the next couple of weeks, but I start on July 3rd (woohoo, first holiday on second-day-of-work!).

I'll try the DMV anyway, I'll see what they say. I do have a printout from the social security office from last time I was here, so I'll have to see if they accept that OK. From things I've read, though, they have tightened up a lot recently and now seemingly want verification from USCIS? doG only knows how long *that* will take. I think I'll spend the next couple of days house hunting, and leave tackling the DMV for next week!

Having a DL makes most other things sooooooo much easier. Try to make an appointment online or by phone rather than waiting in line. That should save you at least an hour of your precisou time...

Do you have an H1b visa with picture in your passport? That should be sufficient at least to get a temporary licence. Ask to speak to a supervisor if necessary. If all else fails, go to a different DMV office as their is no consistency in their procedures.

I don't think I've ever been asked to show my SS card. I think having the number is usually sufficient. (Hint: once you get your card, make a few photocopies and keep them in a safe place; you could even scan it and e-mail it to yourself. You may want to do the same with your passport and visa.)

Presumably you've read Fatbrit's article - very useful!

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Having a DL makes most other things sooooooo much easier. Try to make an appointment online or by phone rather than waiting in line. That should save you at least an hour of your precisou time...

Do you have an H1b visa with picture in your passport? That should be sufficient at least to get a temporary licence. Ask to speak to a supervisor if necessary. If all else fails, go to a different DMV office as their is no consistency in their procedures.

I don't think I've ever been asked to show my SS card. I think having the number is usually sufficient. (Hint: once you get your card, make a few photocopies and keep them in a safe place; you could even scan it and e-mail it to yourself. You may want to do the same with your passport and visa.)

Presumably you've read Fatbrit's article - very useful!

In the ten years we've been here we have never had to show our SS card to anyone.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 4:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, they let you do that? No employer has ever let me start anywhere near a holiday.

Have you lived in Silly Valley before?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:02 pm
Utter Newbie

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Wow, they let you do that? No employer has ever let me start anywhere near a holiday.

Have you lived in Silly Valley before?
Actually, they did moan a bit. They wanted me to start on the Wednesday, because no one would be in on the Monday to do the paperwork. As it happens, I've arranged to go in on the previous friday to sort out the paperwork. Might as well have a day's paid holiday -- can't hurt! :-)
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:06 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

Well, I am now in Mountain View, CA.

I arrived on Wednesday, picked up my supertanker-on-wheels hire car (seemingly, no one wants 'full size' cars any more, so you tend to get 'upgraded' for free to something that can eat the contents of three oil wells every hundred metres), and drove down to Mountain View.

After checking in to the extended stay place (I'm here for a couple of weeks until I find something more permanent), I went to the bank (BoA) to open an account. They were very good, if a little weirded out by the funny looking international banker's draft I had with me (though it was accepted without any problems). Yesterday, I was mostly just recovering, with a bit of retail therapy thrown in (I had forgotten to bring any plug adaptors, so a pilgrimage to Radio Shack came in useful). And I got a pay-as-you-go SIM card for my existing mobile from the T-mobile shop over the road. And then went to Fry's in Palo Alto to get myself a car GPS (didn't fancy navigating and driving at the same time whilst not being *that* used to driving on the right) and a replacement for my recently-deceased digital camera (so people back home don't kill me for not sending them pictures). Jet lag is being a bit crap, but I expected that (my body will only generally shift by about an hour a day whether I like it or not).

So, preliminaries are over. Next things are sorting out a replacement social security card, a driving test, buying a car and finding somewhere to live, not necessarily in that order.

It feels like everything depends on everything else. I asked about getting a mobile on a proper contract, but that would have been a major pain (and would probably have needed a big deposit) so I went for a pay-as-you-go SIM instead. I'll probably keep it as a spare for use by visitors. So there's one circular dependency avoided. Not having a permanent address yet seems to be in the way of all kinds of things (including, most likely, getting a replacement SS card, and probably as a consequence also a driving licence), so it seems really important to sort that out next as an immediate priority.

So the house hunt starts today. (Goes to read craigslist...)
please forgive me as i am reallynew to this, but how do you create a new post for yourself?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:10 pm
Utter Newbie

Originally Posted by emmalina
please forgive me as i am reallynew to this, but how do you create a new post for yourself?
It's very easy. Go back to the USA page (the one that lists all the threads). Just above the blue bar at the top of the list (underneath the Trailer Park link), there is a button on the left hand side that reads 'New Thread'. Click that button, and everything should be pretty obvious from there. :-)
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It's very easy. Go back to the USA page (the one that lists all the threads). Just above the blue bar at the top of the list (underneath the Trailer Park link), there is a button on the left hand side that reads 'New Thread'. Click that button, and everything should be pretty obvious from there. :-)
And a big welcome to SarahT

Emmalina get on with it ...we are waiting ....
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:23 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

thank you and thanks to everyone else that has replied to my plea of help - i have it all sussed now! x x x x
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

emmalina sorted .. wanted the Dingo section.......
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
emmalina sorted .. wanted the Dingo section.......

You're very....err....accommodating today Ray.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 5:38 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're very....err....accommodating today Ray.
I am as always.. my charming helpful self ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.