Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm sorry. Humble pie on offer.

I'm sorry. Humble pie on offer.

Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:48 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sorry. Humble pie on offer.

Mark Twain does a better job of summing it up than I ever could:

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when they deserve it."
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Rush - I think I agree with just about everything in your post (there's a first!), but I think it is important to realise that many soldiers do not chose the military solely for patriotic reasons. The ranks of the US military especiually are full of the disadvantaged who joined up largely for two reasons: to get an education and/or training, or because they felt that their opportunities outside the military were very limited.
The USAF is very difficult to join these days not as easy to get in as you seem to think.
The military is not "full" of disadvantaged people who join up because their life outside the military would be limited.If you can join ,get paid, learn a trade and get a free education then why not ?? Far rather kids join up than sit around collecting benefits.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
The USAF is very difficult to join these days not as easy to get in as you seem to think.
The military is not "full" of disadvantaged people who join up because their life outside the military would be limited.If you can join ,get paid, learn a trade and get a free education then why not ?? Far rather kids join up than sit around collecting benefits.
air force perhaps, but ain't it always...but the army....the standard ain't that high....and for some, it really isn't a choice, because there's no jobs, and no benefits so you have little choice...
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:07 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
I'm pleased for you. I've found that the longer I live here, the more proud of Britain I feel (and I say that with no disrespect to the US).
Agreed
Time away makes me realise how lucky I have been
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:16 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
The military is not "full" of disadvantaged people who join up because their life outside the military would be limited.
So the vast numbers of service people from 'poor' states like West Virginia must just be a coincidence then
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
So the vast numbers of service people from 'poor' states like West Virginia must just be a coincidence then

"As sustained combat in Iraq makes it harder than ever to fill the ranks of the all-volunteer force, newly released Pentagon demographic data show that the military is leaning heavily for recruits on economically depressed, rural areas where youths' need for jobs may outweigh the risks of going to war."

etc.:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110302528.html
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:28 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

"As sustained combat in Iraq makes it harder than ever to fill the ranks of the all-volunteer force, newly released Pentagon demographic data show that the military is leaning heavily for recruits on economically depressed, rural areas where youths' need for jobs may outweigh the risks of going to war."

etc.:

Well no change there then.....
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:38 am
Thinking about it

etc.:

I'm shocked elvira that someone has been able to dig up some credible evidence to back up my far-fetched theory
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I'm shocked elvira that someone has been able to dig up some credible evidence to back up my far-fetched theory
Well do you have a point to make or you're just in need of a sp4nking?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

All I wanted to do was say I am sorry for what I said the other week. I now see the other side of the argument on dual citizenship.

I'm out of this one, but feel free to crack on.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:02 am
Thinking about it

Well do you have a point to make or you're just in need of a sp4nking?
Is that an example of a double negative ???
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:07 am
Just Joined

TonyBee is an unknown quantity at this point

etc.:

If you believe everything you read from a newspaper to be 100% fact then you must believe in fairy tales. These days what journalist write is not all true but an exaggeration of the truth. The cutbacks in the USAF are evidence that they are not just looking for any Tom, Dick or Harry to recruit. If you had any links to the US military at all rather than newspapers, then you would understand this fully. Anyone can cut and paste wordage from a newspaper and say it must be true. I served in the USAF for a long period of time and wasn't disadvantaged or from a poor state. I joined up by choice and made a successful career of it just like 1,000s of others I know.

Enough said....
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:15 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by TonyBee
If you believe everything you read from a newspaper to be 100% fact then you must believe in fairy tales. These days what journalist write is not all true but an exaggeration of the truth. The cutbacks in the USAF are evidence that they are not just looking for any Tom, Dick or Harry to recruit. If you had any links to the US military at all rather than newspapers, then you would understand this fully. Anyone can cut and paste wordage from a newspaper and say it must be true. I served in the USAF for a long period of time and wasn't disadvantaged or from a poor state. I joined up by choice and made a successful career of it just like 1,000s of others I know.

Enough said....
Read above - i don't think it could be any cleared that this accusation is aimed more at the US Army than the other branches of the armed forces, and besides its a bit rich of you to try to argue your point when citing only the USAF.

Your argument is pretty poor mate - maybe stick to flying planes if I were you
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:16 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Enough said....
Well thats a fine how do you do.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Enough said....
We were talking about the army mate but you crack on.

Oh and the USAF cutbacks are not evidence of recruitment standards, they are evidence that all the money has been spent on Iraq and replacing obsolete aircraft so there's bugger all left for people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.