Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm in London and feel safe

I'm in London and feel safe

Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile I'm in London and feel safe

Howdy folks,

I've been in the UK & spent a couple of weeks in Italy since the beginning of July and today I've had to go in to Central London to get another L2 visa at the US Embassy - so I'm now at the Easy Internet Cafe in Oxford St.

I've only had a chance to have a glance at the other threads here, but as you can imagine there is saturation coverage of the latest arrests and ongoing searches to try to find the 'missing' three terrorists and there seems to be a new development almost every hour. My sister was quite worried that I had to go with my son to the Embassy today.

Rather than drive to London and trying to park, I took the train in to Euston station. Absolutely everywhere the police are highly visible - at the mainline stations, tube stations and 'walking on the beat'....most of them seem to be in groups of at least three. I should imagine that there are quite a number of plain-clothes cops around too. In the vicinity of the US Embassy there were many cops with large machine guns and 'secret service' type earphones.

It's all very reassuring. There are many, many Arabs and people in Islamic dress shopping in the Oxford St stores (Selfridges, Debenhams etc.) and there always has been....I guess many of them are tourists as they leave the UAE, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia etc. to escape the Summer heat. I'm not in the least perturbed but I do think that the heavy and visible police presence calms the public somewhat.

I was delighted to be in and out of the Embassy in 2hrs 15 mins.....last time I was there for 41/2 hours! I wasn't asked a single thing, other than who does my husband work for.

A good day so far...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: I'm in London and feel safe

That is very good to hear!

I hope you enjoyed your holiday!!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:46 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Howdy folks,

*snip*

A good day so far...
Good to hear from you. Have a jolly old time in London!

Last edited by Franklin; Jul 28th 2005 at 5:36 pm. Reason: To make post smaller.

Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from ya
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:32 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering where you were,I remember you talking about going home for a few weeks.Enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:34 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

That was great to read, thanks for sharing. Have a great rest of the trip
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting. Enjoy yourself over there
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Great - glad to hear you are unperturbed by all that has happened. I was kind of sad to hear on the radio that retail had been hit hard, and people were staying away.....

Pleased you got the visa sorted too.

BTW, do I know you from a different expat forum you used to subscribe to?

All the best for the journey back.

Jan

Last edited by janj; Jul 28th 2005 at 6:42 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:36 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

A friends been riding the tube the last few days ....and he says everyone is talking more than normal.....and that he's not seeing the amount of mistrust that the papers are leading you to believe is happening......
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:31 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Howdy folks,

I've been in the UK & spent a couple of weeks in Italy since the beginning of July and today I've had to go in to Central London to get another L2 visa at the US Embassy - so I'm now at the Easy Internet Cafe in Oxford St.

I've only had a chance to have a glance at the other threads here, but as you can imagine there is saturation coverage of the latest arrests and ongoing searches to try to find the 'missing' three terrorists and there seems to be a new development almost every hour. My sister was quite worried that I had to go with my son to the Embassy today.

Rather than drive to London and trying to park, I took the train in to Euston station. Absolutely everywhere the police are highly visible - at the mainline stations, tube stations and 'walking on the beat'....most of them seem to be in groups of at least three. I should imagine that there are quite a number of plain-clothes cops around too. In the vicinity of the US Embassy there were many cops with large machine guns and 'secret service' type earphones.

It's all very reassuring. There are many, many Arabs and people in Islamic dress shopping in the Oxford St stores (Selfridges, Debenhams etc.) and there always has been....I guess many of them are tourists as they leave the UAE, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia etc. to escape the Summer heat. I'm not in the least perturbed but I do think that the heavy and visible police presence calms the public somewhat.

I was delighted to be in and out of the Embassy in 2hrs 15 mins.....last time I was there for 41/2 hours! I wasn't asked a single thing, other than who does my husband work for.

A good day so far...
I'd been wondering how you were going on, glad to hear things have gone well, must be lovely to be in England for a while, I'm a bit jealous!
Sarah
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

That's reassuring to hear Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip, say hello to hubby for me! Enjoy.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back to Stockport from a 2 day trip to renew our visas at the US Embassy in London. We left the children with my parents and had a fantastic 2 days. Yes, there is a big police presence but I actually felt safer and less intimidated than when we have visited big cities in the US.

My big shock was seeing armed police wearing bullet proof vests on Stockport train station when the Euston trains pulled in. The train journey has changed a lot since I last visited London, it took 2 hours to get there and it only cost £24.00 each for a return ticket, off peak of course.

I loved London but am a Northerner through and through and when we went into Manchester city centre last weekend I was really impressed at how much it has changed, especially the area around the Printworks and Triangle.

Only one week left in England and then back to life in NJ.

By the way it has only rained twice the whole time we have been here and that was during the night.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:08 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by krizzy
A friends been riding the tube the last few days ....and he says everyone is talking more than normal.....and that he's not seeing the amount of mistrust that the papers are leading you to believe is happening......
Good grief does that mean......the media are skewing the facts? Surely not.

Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Safe journey back Englishmum I have missed your posts.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: I'm in London and feel safe

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Safe journey back Englishmum I have missed your posts.
LOL.....I've just arrived back in NJ....managed to bag those coveted emergency exit seats on BA!

Sadly in the last few hours I've learned that two very good expat friends are leaving the US: one family is leaving for a new posting in Abu Dhabi - they sold their house in one week despite only learning that they were moving three weeks ago....they will be gone on August 26th and the husband has already started his new job there. My very best mate here will be getting her US citizenship imminently and returning to the beautiful Gold Coast in her native Australia in November. I feel bereft. I always feel a bit down after returning from the UK and visiting my mum and siblings so this latest news is a bit of a blow.

I can't even get a cuddle from my husband - he's in Sri Lanka right now with a group of volunteers from his company building houses with Habitat for Humanity for the Tsunami victims, I haven't seen him for 3 weeks but I fully support the cause.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.