Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm home !!!!

I'm home !!!!

Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm home !!!!

Whew !!!!!!!! just arrived back from England, and well what can I say ? firstly no one seemed to have a problem with my passport not having my correct surname, I took my marriage certificate as proof and was only asked for it once. Dear old British Airways was late leaving Detroit, this $100 deal is all very well but I'd swear they squeezed another row of seats in as my knees were jammed against the seat in front and I'm only 5 foot 4.
Anyways arrived in Heathrow, ran around like a headless chicken trying to find where to catch the coach to Oxford, eventually got to the coach station at 8.45 waited for the 9am coach ... no show .. waited for the 9.30 coach .. no show .. hmmm coach arrives at 10.15 says hes the 10am ... 2mins later another coach arrives saying hes also the 10am (have a feeling someones not being quite truthful here) eventually got going at around 10.30. So no change with public transport then !
Had a great week with mum and ooor James, was too scared to go shopping in Oxford town centre due to horror stories of pickpockets etc but managed some retail therapy in local outlet village.
Local radio was carrying a story about an experiment that had been carried out throughout the country. They'd placed Christmas trees in cities and put a spy camera on them. The tree in Oxford lasted a measly 20 minutes what is it with theiving over there its so depressing. I was telling my mother that we leave our cars running here when we run into the local store for a pint of milk or such and she says "ohh well if you leave your car locked here it still doesnt guarantee its going to be there when you get back" apparently the park and ride carparks are like a theives paradise and then they wonder why no one shops in the city centres .. ohh myyy
So here I am back in Michigan feeling happy to live in a place where we dont have to watch our backs, shred our mail before disposing of it and can happily leave our cars unlocked and still sleep at night.

Thought I'd just check in and share .....

Merry Christmas all !!!

Jan
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back

So what Brit goodies did you bring back to Michigan?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Half a caseful, I had to go talk to the man in customs about my Christmas cake and pud coz of some confusion as to the actual contents (woulda been over my spirits limit if they'd found out how much brandy mum puts in her cake!)
They didnt mind the 6 packs of digestive biscuits and rich tea fingers, or the packet mixes for bombay taters n the like. They carefully examined my loverly bottle of Lagavuilin, dont think they'd seen much whiskey past the usual teachers and Johnnie Walker that are available in duty free. Oh hmm 2 pots colemans mustard, 4 bisto and oxo cubes ohhhhhhh and a huge amount of choccy ! and and and tea bags YAY

Sainsburys is so much fun a week before Christmas

Jan

Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Jan, are British Airways using that crappy old Terminal at Detroit still?
I flew Northwest out of there 2 weeks ago, weren't THAT bad, better than my last flight with them
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:29 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Welcome home Jan! Glad you had a safe and happy trip!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks folks

Yes Manc theyre still at Berry big GRRrrr .. apparently there is some litigation about the fact they havent moved. The only thing in favour of them being there is that at least the baggage doesnt have far to go which lessens the chances of it getting lost.

Jan
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Detroit airport is the worst in America imo. I'd rather swim home than fly out of there again.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 4:37 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Detroit airport is the worst in America imo. I'd rather swim home than fly out of there again.
Oh phew! I nearly booked a flight to Connecticut that had a stopover in Detroit...but I decided to go through Fort Worth instead, in case it snowed again and there were delays. I'm so glad!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 6:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
<<snip>>

Sainsburys is so much fun a week before Christmas

Jan

Me and my spouse will be visiting our old Sainsburys, the biggest one in London (the one on Finchley Rd, in the O2 Centre), when we're in London next week. We shall be stocking up on lots of stuff as well as collecting research on our price comparison for foodstuffs.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 18th 2003, 6:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
The new terminal gave a lot more 21st Century feel to it.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

........... as opposed to the Berry terminal which has decor chosen by the Wright brothers themselves

Jan
Old Dec 19th 2003, 2:31 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

........... as opposed to the Berry terminal which has decor chosen by the Wright brothers themselves

Jan
LOL. While we're on the subject, what do you all believe is the worst airport in America? For me it's got to be JFK. The American Airlines terminal has to be the worst I've ever visited. No signs, no monitors to tell you where to check in, one long line for everything instead of splitting things up by airline or destination, old fashioned terminal building and complete lack of shopping. Horrid. So glad I don't have to go there anymore!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
LOL. While we're on the subject, what do you all believe is the worst airport in America? For me it's got to be JFK. The American Airlines terminal has to be the worst I've ever visited. No signs, no monitors to tell you where to check in, one long line for everything instead of splitting things up by airline or destination, old fashioned terminal building and complete lack of shopping. Horrid. So glad I don't have to go there anymore!
DETROIT!!! only because the INS officer gave me a real grilling and made me think I was gonna be deported (all because he didn't know how to read properly). The only US airport i have ever had a problem with.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm home !!!!

firstly no one seemed to have a problem with my passport not having my correct surname, I took my marriage certificate as proof and was only asked for it once.
I did the same thing in Sept (and just about had a panic attack before going though immigration when I got back to the US). My married name is hyphenated with my maiden name... I had my ticket & passport in my maiden name and my green card in my married name. The INS guy never even questioned it which was totally unexpected given the grilling I was given when I arrived in the US last year just before I was married.

Ash
Old Dec 19th 2003, 10:12 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I'm the only person who doesn't mind flying out of the Berry terminal at Detroit. It's nice to be the only flight going out, and not having thousands of other people rushing to reach their gates too. My only real gripe is that there's sod all to do in the 2 hours between check-in and boarding the plane.
As far as the crime rates go, I've never noticed that much of a difference to be honest. We certainly keep the car locked most of the time, reagardless of wheather we're in the US or UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.