I'm Free!

Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm Free!

Some people may call it 'unemployed', 'out of work', or 'retired'; but I'm just calling it "ahhhhhhh" ... taking a well-earned break after 6+ years of utter craziness!

I started this job in 2006, as the 5th employee. The company grew to over 1,000 employees, and I pretty much held all the IT stuff together during that period of crazy growth. I haven't taken more than 5 contiguous days off in 6 years, and worked 12 hour days, 7 day weeks more than I can remember. In 2009, The company chose Phoenix, AZ as their main location so I had to spend at least 3 weeks/month there for the past 5 years. I bought a small condo there so I didn't have to stay in hotels all the time.

Recently, the company decided I was no longer needed - a fair assessment, in all honesty, since I'm more suited to a 'startup' mode where you need one person who can be a 'jack of all trades'. With the increase in size (and involvement of investment bankers), the level of bureaucracy increased also, and I was hating it - trying to find a way to get out without actually quitting (walking away from a paycheck is not easy for me). In the end, they did it for me, and - did it in such a way that was far more generous than I would have ever dared ask for! I had to sign documents saying I wouldn't disclose company info, wouldn't work for the competition, etc - which is fine by me. In return, I don't have to worry about working for a while.

So now I get to spend time back in the Bay Area, CA, where my home has been for the past 30 years, where my girlfriend is, my friends are, and where, quite honestly, my heart is. I've only been able to get home at most 1 week out of 4 in the past 5 years, and it was often less. So now I'm hanging out in the Bay Area, and absolutely loving it - unencumbered by work! I plan to do some serious relaxing until the end of the year, catching up on friends, and generally making up for all the time I lost working crazy hours.

The condo in AZ lost value over the past 4 years, but has finally recovered so I think I could sell for a 'break even' if I wanted to; but the funny thing is, I've become accustomed to having a place down there and - despite the many issues associated with Arizona - I actually really like the place! So now I'm trying to figure a way to keep that condo, keep my place in CA, and travel between the two (and pay the associated bills!). Haven't solved that one yet but I have time to think about it at last!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm Free!

Enjoy the rest, sounds like you earned it.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well enjoy and good luck with the next chapter!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:49 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I had to sign documents saying I wouldn't disclose company info, wouldn't work for the competition, etc
Confirm the details of this with a lawyer as need be, but non-compete clauses are essentially unenforceable in California.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the newly found free time but I'm sure I'm not the only person who is disappointed you haven't turned into John Inman

Hmmm, being in a situation where you have to divide your time between Northern California and the desert in Arizona. Christ, I wish I had your problems
Old Sep 20th 2013, 6:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Confirm the details of this with a lawyer as need be, but non-compete clauses are essentially unenforceable in California.
Unless they're paying you the garden leave...
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Congratulations on the newly found free time but I'm sure I'm not the only person who is disappointed you haven't turned into John Inman
Yes that was my first thought.

Have fun, Steerpike.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:10 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Unless they're paying you the garden leave...
California has its own rules. Non-compete clauses are unenforceable but for a few limited circumstances.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

So umm you're saying there is an opening at your old company?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, SP. Sounds like you have a situation that nearly everyone who works would like to have once every 10 years or so ... paid to leave and enjoy your unemployment. Yah for severence pay!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:17 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Nice going...congrats.
Dont make the same mistake my wife does......She keeps saying she will take some time off when the current contract ends, but every time something else comes along and she can't resist getting back to work. Drives me mad, but I guess I shouldn't complain about her wanting to work!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
So umm you're saying there is an opening at your old company?
Technically, position eliminated. Practically speaking, they have transitioned from 'growth' to 'operational'. So while before, it was all about selection, buying, deployment, testing, training, now it's all about monitoring, maintenance, patching, availability, etc. They hired a VP 'above' me at a higher salary who does nothing but attend meetings and worry about status, and someone 'below' me who can keep the stuff running at 2/3rds the price of me. I think they are way overstaffed now.

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Nice going...congrats.
Dont make the same mistake my wife does......She keeps saying she will take some time off when the current contract ends, but every time something else comes along and she can't resist getting back to work. Drives me mad, but I guess I shouldn't complain about her wanting to work!
I know myself only too well; if a job were to present itself tomorrow, I'd take it! So I'm not looking ... . I'm just networking at the moment, re-acquainting myself with former colleagues, letting them know I'm on the lookout in the future. My ideal outcome is to start my own little company and consult to other companies. I have one great techie resource who will team up with me, but in order to go down that path I need to learn about the issues of running that small company - which I know is not going to be easy.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Some people may call it 'unemployed', 'out of work', or 'retired'; but I'm just calling it "ahhhhhhh" ... taking a well-earned break after 6+ years of utter craziness!

I started this job in 2006, as the 5th employee. The company grew to over 1,000 employees, and I pretty much held all the IT stuff together during that period of crazy growth. I haven't taken more than 5 contiguous days off in 6 years, and worked 12 hour days, 7 day weeks more than I can remember. In 2009, The company chose Phoenix, AZ as their main location so I had to spend at least 3 weeks/month there for the past 5 years. I bought a small condo there so I didn't have to stay in hotels all the time.

Recently, the company decided I was no longer needed - a fair assessment, in all honesty, since I'm more suited to a 'startup' mode where you need one person who can be a 'jack of all trades'. With the increase in size (and involvement of investment bankers), the level of bureaucracy increased also, and I was hating it - trying to find a way to get out without actually quitting (walking away from a paycheck is not easy for me). In the end, they did it for me, and - did it in such a way that was far more generous than I would have ever dared ask for! I had to sign documents saying I wouldn't disclose company info, wouldn't work for the competition, etc - which is fine by me. In return, I don't have to worry about working for a while.

So now I get to spend time back in the Bay Area, CA, where my home has been for the past 30 years, where my girlfriend is, my friends are, and where, quite honestly, my heart is. I've only been able to get home at most 1 week out of 4 in the past 5 years, and it was often less. So now I'm hanging out in the Bay Area, and absolutely loving it - unencumbered by work! I plan to do some serious relaxing until the end of the year, catching up on friends, and generally making up for all the time I lost working crazy hours.

The condo in AZ lost value over the past 4 years, but has finally recovered so I think I could sell for a 'break even' if I wanted to; but the funny thing is, I've become accustomed to having a place down there and - despite the many issues associated with Arizona - I actually really like the place! So now I'm trying to figure a way to keep that condo, keep my place in CA, and travel between the two (and pay the associated bills!). Haven't solved that one yet but I have time to think about it at last!
Crack the beers open then. Good on yer!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:56 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! enjoy every day!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.