Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm confused... car registration??

I'm confused... car registration??

Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm confused... car registration??

Originally Posted by basementwaj
tahts good... but it still sounds fishy... definately double check everything. You are supposed to go to the DMV to register the car and pay the taxes on it. Dealers will sometimes let you pay them the taxes, but you NEED the tax receipt to prove you have paid them.... as well as getting a 12 month tag.
There are now 60 day temp tags that are offered at the point of sale... but none of what you have said sound completely legit... i hope it all works out!
I never went to the DMV for the convertible the papers were done by the seller he was private but as I said a 3rd party and he had his licence to sell cars.
The car has since been sold again and no probs.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 31st 2008 at 2:42 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP is in NJ and it is a legal requirement to hand the plates into the DMV when a vehicle is sold.

It's all moot now anyway...I see she's sorted the problem out and they were in fact new plates.
Hey Jersey girl, I am here you know - whats with all the 'her' and the 'she'??
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:42 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NannyAnn
Hey Jersey girl, I am here you know - whats with all the 'her' and the 'she'??
Jersey is turning into a Yank lol...have you never noticed that they call you "her or she" when you are standing right next to them used to annoy the crap out of me.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Jersey is turning into a Yank lol...have you never noticed that they call you "her or she" when you are standing right next to them used to annoy the crap out of me.
I haven't noticed, but I'm sure to now!!! Another random thing that is really bugging me at the moment is how everyone says 'or no' instead of 'or not'... Its funny how the little things can really get to you over time :-)
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

I never went to the DMV for the convertible the papers were done by the seller he was private but as I said a 3rd party and he had his licence to sell cars.
The car has since been sold again and no probs.
Well, back to the car thing, I guess when I take it to be inspected, if any of the paperwork is missing or seems strange they will pick it up then. The guy we bought it off did all the paperwork wit the DMV and jsut got us to sign things, and give him the amount of money due.

Thanks again for all your replies
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:48 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of auction dealers handle the registration just as a full service dealer would do. I buy cars from auction (private dealers) and I usually get the car with a paper tag and a few days later they deliver me the new plates and registration card. Pretty standard procedure when buying from a private dealer.

In this case I think the guy just forgot to give her the card.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:50 pm

Well, back to the car thing, I guess when I take it to be inspected, if any of the paperwork is missing or seems strange they will pick it up then. The guy we bought it off did all the paperwork wit the DMV and jsut got us to sign things, and give him the amount of money due.

The car is in your name your fine any documents missing if any can be replaced.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NannyAnn. Do you have a small red and white card? This is the car's registration card. This should be carried in the glove box with your insurance card. If you are stopped by the police you are required to show both documents.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi NannyAnn. Do you have a small red and white card? This is the car's registration card. This should be carried in the glove box with your insurance card. If you are stopped by the police you are required to show both documents.
Hello :-)
No, not that I've found yet... I will go and get a replacement if i don't find it by the end of today. Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello :-)
No, not that I've found yet... I will go and get a replacement if i don't find it by the end of today. Thanks
When you buy a car you have to pay for 4 yrs registration fees. The DMV then send you a window sticker and the small registration card. The date on the window sticker should be 4 yrs from the date the car was last registered. So if you purchased the car in December 07 the sticker should read 12 08. If you have this sticker you should have the registration card.

Edit: looking at the DMV's website the 4 yr fee could just be for new cars.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 31st 2008 at 3:30 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:16 pm

When you buy a car you have to pay for 4 yrs registration fees. The DMV then send you a window sticker and the small registration card. The date on the window sticker should be 4 yrs from the date the car was last registered. So if you purchased the car in December 07 the sticker should read 12 08. If you have this sticker you should have the registration card.
4 years did I do that or is it a NJ thing again
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

4 years did I do that or is it a NJ thing again
Probably just NJ. Remember laws, rules and regs differ from state to state.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:29 pm

Probably just NJ. Remember laws, rules and regs differ from state to state.
Blimey thats a bit steep
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Blimey thats a bit steep
It was changed towards the end of 2004 and the fee isn't refundable if you change the vehicle before the 4 yrs is up. It may only be for new vehicles so I've edited my previous post.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Cars are not sold with plates. When you sell a car the plates must be handed in to the DMV. When you buy a car it shouldn't have plates...it will have a temporary paper one stuck in the back window. You receive the new plates from the DMV within a couple of weeks.
or, if it isn't a vanity plate, though normally they just give it to you when you register the car, depends on the state, but that's what they do in Maine and Mass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.