Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm back to pedal power

I'm back to pedal power

Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:22 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Hey Pimpbot...where did you buy your bike in Arizona? I'm going to have to get one so a recommendation is always good. What did you get? I have a Raleigh Gritstone 21 gear but it's going to CT and I can't be bothered to ship it.
You can get really cheap bikes at walmart ot target.

This one was $126.00 for a chicks bike. Theres even bikes for $53.00 on walmarts website.

If you intend on actual 'mountain biking' get one like Pimpbots it would last longer.
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to pedal power-0040000749214_215x215.jpeg  
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:43 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

If you nip down to Walmart tomorrow you'll be able to get a boys 16" bike for $28!!
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
If you nip down to Walmart tomorrow you'll be able to get a boys 16" bike for $28!!
Yep no wounder the US bike manufacturers are all going out of business. Buy American people.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
You can get really cheap bikes at walmart ot target.

This one was $126.00 for a chicks bike. Theres even bikes for $53.00 on walmarts website.

If you intend on actual 'mountain biking' get one like Pimpbots it would last longer.
Watch out for some of those Wal-Mart bikes. They start to fall apart almost immediately. The workers who assemble them often don't know what they're doing either, so you end up taking it to a local bike repair shop and then you get some real grief because you didn't buy one from them. You have to sympathize with them somewhat. Like many other Mom and Pop businesses, local bike shops are also being driven out of business by the Wal-Mart-ing of America.

We have a visiting student from Glasgow (one semester), and she bought a Wal-Mart bike for around 100 bucks. The handlebars are currently rusting apart, and the thing rattles like the blazes. She's just looking at it as a one-semester bike "rental".
Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:46 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
Watch out for some of those Wal-Mart bikes. They start to fall apart almost immediately. The workers who assemble them often don't know what they're doing either, so you end up taking it to a local bike repair shop and then you get some real grief because you didn't buy one from them. You have to sympathize with them somewhat. Like many other Mom and Pop businesses, local bike shops are also being driven out of business by the Wal-Mart-ing of America.

We have a visiting student from Glasgow (one semester), and she bought a Wal-Mart bike for around 100 bucks. The handlebars are currently rusting apart, and the thing rattles like the blazes. She's just looking at it as a one-semester bike "rental".
Hence the reason I said go and buy a bike like Pimpbots if you intend on riding alot.

My brother-in-law bought me a bike from Walmart 2 years ago, I ride it alot, but then again I know how to maintain a bike, nothing has fallen off..yet, but I wouldn't exactly go down everest on it either
Old Nov 26th 2003, 7:12 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about adult bikes, but nearly all childrens bikes here are very basic indeed. We bought our daughters Raleigh bike over with us, it cost about £100 I think, and it was the only bike in the whole neighbourhood to have gears on it. Haven't seen anything anywhere near as good here. I'm looking to buy my son a bike now, and although he is not as keen a bike rider as my daughter, I will be buying something a bit better than the Walmart one I mentioned earlier.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 7:41 pm
Never right in the head!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ladyofthelake
I don't know about adult bikes, but nearly all childrens bikes here are very basic indeed.

I agree, here's a pic of my bike, bloody thing didn't even come with a bottle holder.
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to pedal power-pennyf.jpeg  
Old Nov 26th 2003, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I trolled around Walmart once or twice looking at their bikes. But to be honest, why spend $150 on a fairly decent looking bike, like a Schwinn or Mongoose like they usually stock, that will be heavy, bulky and a s.o.b. to ride, when just for another $100 dollars, you can get yourself a nice GT or Haro bike from a proper store. The one I bought from offers a 30 day inspection and tune up after you've bought it also. My last bike was also a GT, but that cost me over £1500 to build from scratch. I had no intentions of spending that much money again and I am really happy with my purchase. Infact, I just did 6 or 7 miles on it riding to Tempe and back.

Check out this "Amazon" looking pic that I took from Papago park.
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to pedal power-papagopark2.jpg  
Old Nov 26th 2003, 9:13 pm
Never right in the head!

Look at this one then, nice comfy seat, take the missus out in it and a cooler in the back for the cold ones, If you see Yosser going down the George Bush freeway in one of these give us a toot
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to pedal power-4w2pcp-d.jpeg  
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:52 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for the info Pimpbot. I can't see any of your pix except the one of the desert you took on your ride. In fact I can't see any pictures or even avatars...I dunno what's up with the board. I've always loved mountain biking, albeit fairly conservative riding and not 100 miles an hour down ravines or anything. I just love a long ride on a sunny day and AZ looks like a great place to ride as long as it's not 100 ******* degrees! I think I'll miss Halfords though...good quality, cheap prices and great cycle accessories. What's it like riding in Phoenix? Do people show respect to cyclists or is it like riding on the North Circular? I'd rather ride out of town but it would be great to be able to commute. I used to be a cycle courier in London but I kind of liked living so I gave it up.