Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm back, but not sure where from?

I'm back, but not sure where from?

Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm back, but not sure where from?

For those of you that remember my Feb UK trip, you will recall I was not happy about coming back from Blighty to NYC. I have just spent last couple of weeks suffering from delayed UK withdrawal symptoms "Sulking, BIG TIME".
Woe is me.
After almost 18 years, you would think I would be past it.
I remember the first months after emigrating being tough, then a year went by & things got better. Over the years, I got more use to living here. I recall at the end of the 2005 UK trip standing in LHR, I was like a little kid being made to go somewhere I did not want to go to. I came back to USA & got over it. This year seems far worse, have considered going back to UK several times. Still Now its Spring & the sun is shining, though freezing.
Reg. Frank R
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:27 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm back, but not sure where from?

Originally Posted by frrussre
For those of you that remember my Feb UK trip, you will recall I was not happy about coming back from Blighty to NYC. I have just spent last couple of weeks suffering from delayed UK withdrawal symptoms "Sulking, BIG TIME".
Woe is me.
I remember the first months after emigrating being tough, then a year went by & things got better. Over the years, I got more use to living here. I recall at the end of the 2005 UK trip standing in LHR, I was like a little kid being made to go somewhere I did not want to go to. I came back to USA & got over it. This year seems far worse, have considered going back to UK several times. Still Now its Spring & the sun is shining, though freezing.
Reg. Frank R
Bloody hell - first me now this - could be the Samaritans.com if it keeps up like this

It could be worse (trust me)
And at least you really enjoyed your trip back to Blighty

Good luck
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

For those of you that remember my Feb UK trip, you will recall I was not happy about coming back from Blighty to NYC. Still Now its Spring & the sun is shining, though freezing.
Reg. Frank R
hi frank and yep i remember your trip...i've just come back from mine a couple of days ago and today booked myself back again for the month of june. i'd wake up every morning and just knowing i was home would put a smile on my face...i didn't miss or even think of the united states of a***holes one bit...with the exception of you guys of course...hope you settle back in your routine soon and like you said spring has sprung and things always look rosier...cheers
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Bloody hell - first me now this - could be the Samaritans.com if it keeps up like this

It could be worse (trust me)
And at least you really enjoyed your trip back to Blighty

Good luck
Thanks Davy. After reading your story of woe, I was not sure if my thread would push you over the edge (In decision making).
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hi frank and yep i remember your trip...i've just come back from mine a couple of days ago and today booked myself back again for the month of june. i'd wake up every morning and just knowing i was home would put a smile on my face...i didn't miss or even think of the united states of a***holes one bit...with the exception of you guys of course...hope you settle back in your routine soon and like you said spring has sprung and things always look rosier...cheers
Cheers TruBrit.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:47 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Woe is me.
Reg. Frank R
I have been in the states for the majority of 16 years and I'm here to tell you that it doesn't matter how long you've been away, it's tough coming back here every single time! You could absolutely love your life in the US and have no complaints at all, but home is home and that's where the heart is . I hope that you feel in better spirits soon and just remember that the majority of us can sympathise with you and you can call on us anytime!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by blaze
I have been in the states for the majority of 16 years and I'm here to tell you that it doesn't matter how long you've been away, it's tough coming back here every single time! You could absolutely love your life in the US and have no complaints at all, but home is home and that's where the heart is . I hope that you feel in better spirits soon and just remember that the majority of us can sympathise with you and you can call on us anytime!
Thanks Blaze. Nice to hear I'm not the only one. My son Will be off on school retreat for 3 nights, wife & I just decided to go to Atlantic City for couple of days. If I win, will be instantly cheered up. If I lose, you may not here from me again.
Cheers.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, while you were writing this thread I was busy leaving you a welcome message on Davy's thread. Anyway nice to hear from you. Know what you mean about coming back from the UK, but I have a feeling if we went back to live there we would be wishing we were back here.

By the way I don't like fish. Too smelly.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hiya, while you were writing this thread I was busy leaving you a welcome message on Davy's thread. Anyway nice to hear from you. Know what you mean about coming back from the UK, but I have a feeling if we went back to live there we would be wishing we were back here.

By the way I don't like fish. Too smelly.
I'm not touching the smelly fish fing.

Jersey I'm sure you are correct about going back. I often, read the threads "I want to Emigrate", "Our can I move to USA" etc. No one ever thinks about the mental side of leaving their home Country.
Thanks for the "Nice to hear from you".
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not touching the smelly fish fing.

Jersey I'm sure you are correct about going back. I often, read the threads "I want to Emigrate", "Our can I move to USA" etc. No one ever thinks about the mental side of leaving their home Country.
Thanks for the "Nice to hear from you".
Reg. Frank R.
Yes I agree. When I read posts of people emigrating I want to scream 'really think about what you are leaving behind, besides the obvious things like family and friends, its the lifestyle, the things you have always been used to, the values, the culture, just day to day life' but you have to make your own mistakes don't you?

What I really mean is if we moved back then I am sure that I would miss the US. I read an article a while ago which said that although most found it difficult to adjust to life overseas, it was even more difficult to readjust to life back in your homeland. Family, friends, the way of life in general has moved on, but you remember it as it was. I for one feel as if I have a foot in both countries, but will never be settled in either again. At least my hubby is English so we both think along the same lines. I am afraid your decision would be more difficult with your wife being a USC, even if she wanted to live in the UK she would go through what we have been going through all these years. Oh well, chin up, spring tomorrow.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 20th 2006 at 8:42 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

, spring tomorrow.

err slight correction....spring is today march 20 well in texas at least
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

err slight correction....spring is today march 20 well in texas at least
I seem to remember that in the UK the seasons change on the 21st of the month, here its different. So I just stick to the correct way!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

I seem to remember that in the UK the seasons change on the 21st of the month, here its different. So I just stick to the correct way!
for someone who prefers life in the us you sure stick to the brit ways...your seasons and english cuppa an example and there aint nowt wrong with that
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

for someone who prefers life in the us you sure stick to the brit ways...your seasons and english cuppa an example and there aint nowt wrong with that
Quite right too. As my mother says 'don't be silly you're not an emigrant, you're British'.

PS I don't think I said I prefer life here, just got used to it a bit that's all.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree. When I read posts of people emigrating I want to scream 'really think about what you are leaving behind, besides the obvious things like family and friends, its the lifestyle, the things you have always been used to, the values, the culture, just day to day life' but you have to make your own mistakes don't you?

What I really mean is if we moved back then I am sure that I would miss the US. I read an article a while ago which said that although most found it difficult to adjust to life overseas, it was even more difficult to readjust to life back in your homeland. Family, friends, the way of life in general has moved on, but you remember it as it was. I for one feel as if I have a foot in both countries, but will never be settled in either again. At least my hubby is English so we both think along the same lines. I am afraid your decision would be more difficult with your wife being a USC, even if she wanted to live in the UK she would go through what we have been going through all these years. Oh well, chin up, spring tomorrow.
I concur with everything you've said.

A couple of weeks after moving to Singapore I met a Scottish woman on our condo. She had worked in Hong Kong and met and married an English expat who used to be in the Hong Kong police force, then got a plum security job with an American investment bank. She had been in the Far East for about 9 years and I've never forgotten something she said to me - and I don't know where she got her info from. She said "once you've been an expat for seven years, you can't go back" (home).

According to Sarah, you can't settle once you've lived overseas for that length of time. Oddly enough, about six months later they were transferred to Taipei, Taiwan....they were there for just three weeks and her husband was sacked and they had to return to the UK.

I often wonder what happened to them and if they ever went overseas again.

We left England in Jan 1995....still love going on trips to England, husband goes back all the time as he works for a British company but he is happy to live anywhere. I personally don't know where 'home' is anymore.....wouldn't mind going back to the Far East for a few years but it doesn't look like a viable option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.