Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

i'm about to cry, please help--221(g)

i'm about to cry, please help--221(g)

Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

mdmd101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default i'm about to cry, please help--221(g)

Dear members:

Can anyone tell me what to do after getting the 221(g) letter that says your case is in administrative processing and we'll contact you.--as some of you already know, my wife got this from the Bombay consualte on Aug. 26th.

Do the consuatle really contact the beneficiay? Does anyone know about the timeline as to when do they contact? We've already given them each and every item they requested on the original 221(g) letter.

Both my immigration attorneys seem to be busy with H-1 visas (big and consistent fees from large employers) to clearly answer my questions or even return my phone calls.

This website seems to be the only way to get answers. Please if anyone has gone through the 221(g) admin. processing situation at Bombay answer my quetions. Thank you.

MD. Doc.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

shali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i'm about to cry, please help--221(g)

we went thru admin processing at chennai consulate in india. If u want you can read our story.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...threadid=90176

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...threadid=92183
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Shali:

After reading your post, I'm even more scared and nervous. Luckily, your fiance got a call within one week, but there is another fellow's case in your string of e-mail whose wife wasn't contacted for 5 months. -- My marriage is deifinitely going to deteriorate if my wife doesn't get here soon. It's been 4 months already since INS approved the petiion.

INS New Delhi where we filed and were interviewed together were utmost respectful and to-the-point. Our interview lasted about 8 minutes and we were told that we were approved. (we're IR1 not K3)

Bombay consulate treated my wife worst than a hardened criminal for marrying me (someone who's previously divorced). Some immigrant rights group needs to take some action against the consular officers in Bombay. -- What business is it of the Consulate if I'm married twcie or twenty two times before I married my current wife--the law only looks at whether she and I were adult and legally able to marry.

My wife was called to the consulate three times, twice the Consul made her cry. -- I guess they get some sort of sadistic pleasure from making girsl cry.

I've challenged the Consul to talk to me, but they won't let me go in and meet them.

This is just human right abuse. Thanks for reading my furstrated babble about the bombay consulate.

MD, Doc.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Shali/Tara:

I live in Seattle, Washington. Do you know who are the two Senators from WA and how do I contact them? Is there a specail branch of the senator's office that I try to contact?

How do I find out who my local congressman is? I live in Bellevue. Thank you

MD.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 10:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mdmd101:
Shali/Tara:

I live in Seattle, Washington. Do you know who are the two Senators from WA and how do I contact them? Is there a specail branch of the senator's office that I try to contact?

How do I find out who my local congressman is? I live in Bellevue. Thank you

MD.
You don't have a local Senator. There are two Senators elected for each state. Look in your local phone book in the blue pages under US Government. You will find both names there.

Or do a website for members of congress and then plug in your state and you will find the names, addresses and phones and some have e-mail addresses.

Rete

Curious as to why you wife had to go for a second interview if your original Direct Consular Filing was approved?
Old Aug 27th 2002, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete:

You don't have a local Senator. There are two Senators elected for each state. Look in your local phone book in the blue pages under US Government. You will find both names there.

Or do a website for members of congress and then plug in your state and you will find the names, addresses and phones and some have e-mail addresses.

Rete

Curious as to why you wife had to go for a second interview if your original Direct Consular Filing was approved?
No, it wasn't a consular filing. There is an INS office in New Delhi--most India filers don't know this and if the husband and wife file the I-130 TOGETHER and appear for an interview TOGETHER, they are approved on the same day. (we were approved in about 5-8 minutes)--saved 6-8 months of waiting time for filing at the Nebraska service center.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mdmd101:

Yes, these days it has become their business. The following points illustrate why:-

Once upon a time, Bombay Consulate used to be the easiest going consular posts in India. Instead of taking advantage of it, Indians abused it for decades to the point where it has come to be today.

Occurences like: People who had never seen a ship before would enter the US with a crew visa.

Green card marriages were rampant. Men old enough to be great grandfathers would argue that they were married to some 18 year old damsel.

Investigations would reveal that some these same men had previously applied for other so called "wives".

In a country where divorce used to be a rare occasion, a sudden surge among folks seeking US immigrant visa raised red flags.

Very often non speaking folks from villages would be taken care of by translators employed by the consulates.

Ever wondered why Gujarati is the second language in Bombay consulate?

Several Incidents of consulate employees being arrested for accepting bribes were reported in the local media.

Airline staff & their families would fly to the US with their free flight privileges, never to return. This has now been severely restricted. Family members of politicians continue to do this, however.

Given the above illustrations, Yes it VERY MUCH becomes the consulate's business to determine whether an applicant is genuinely married or genuinely divorced.

You say it is an abuse. Rightly so it is. Question is who caused it?

Just as the actions of few terrorists put every muslim and arab under the security microscope, so has the fraudulent actions of several Indians made things miserable for other visa seekers.

Until a year ago, there used to be 12-16 K-1 visa appointments on average every month in Bombay consulate. Today these numbers have more than doubled.

On the day of my wife's K-1 interview, there were about Eight K-1 candidates.

Seven of them were granted their visas without any hassle.

The only 221(g) was handed out to the lady who used some vague religious law to claim that it was acceptable in her relgiion to marry her cousin. (Of course, it was not her fault, its the stupid consulate handing out 221g like candy).

Go figure!!!

ralph

-- What business is it of the Consulate if I'm married twcie or twenty two times before I married my current wife--the law only looks at whether she and I were adult and legally able to marry.

My wife was called to the consulate three times, twice the Consul made her cry. -- I guess they get some sort of sadistic pleasure from making girsl cry.

This is just human right abuse. Thanks for reading my furstrated babble about the bombay consulate.

MD, Doc.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Ralph:

Well said. I agree with everything you've written. The Gujarati and Punjabi community is responsible for the "Gestapo" treatment that almost everyone gets at the consulate.

However, the Consuls are trained in identifying "good guys" from the "bad guys" even by looking at body language.

In my case, I didn't petition either of my two previous wives as they were from here. This is the first time in my life that I'm petitioning an alien, my average income for the past three years is in six figures and is reflected on my tax returns that I had to file with affidavit of support.

Now, why would a US citizen who is sposoring an alien for the first time in his life, who make six figure income get into a frudulent marriage? -- This is common sense that my marriage is genuine. The Consul should have given my wife her visa right away and saved all the aggravation for applicants who appear to be crooked--and I know people in Gujarati and Punjabi community and these people when they do crooked things, they make it very obvious--the consuls should find it easy to identify and go after these peopel rather than harass someone like me whose paperwork points towards a genuine marriage without a reasonable doubt.

MD
Old Aug 28th 2002, 1:16 am
Mrtravel

mdmd101 wrote:
    > Ralph:
    > Well said. I agree with everything you've written. The Gujarati and Punjabi
    > community is responsible for the "Gestapo" treatment that almost everyone gets at
    > the consulate.

I hate it when people start making such statements. I doubt the average Punjabi
is to blame.

> However, the Consuls are trained in identifying "good guys" from the "bad guys"
    > even by looking at body language.
    > In my case, I didn't petition either of my two previous wives as they were from
    > here. This is the first time in my life that I'm petitioning an alien, my average
    > income for the past three years is in six figures and is reflected on my tax
    > returns that I had to file with affidavit of support.
    > Now, why would a US citizen who is sposoring an alien for the first time in his
    > life, who make six figure income get into a frudulent marriage?

It's possible for a person of money to commit crimes.. Ask the Adelphia people.
Plus... only one of the partners has to be committing the fraud...

> -- This is common sense that my marriage is genuine. The Consul should have given
    > my wife her visa right away and saved all the aggravation for applicants who appear
    > to be crooked--and I know people in Gujarati and Punjabi community and these people
    > when they do crooked things

No bigotry in India, huh... Are only the people in the Gujarati and Punjabi
communities crooks?

, they
    > make it very obvious--the consuls should find it easy to identify and go after
    > these peopel

Yep, I got it. Only harass those people... Guilty or innocent, simply for being a
Punjabi, they should be harassed.

rather than harass someone like me whose paperwork
    > points towards a genuine marriage without a reasonable doubt.

As I have stated, having money doesn't stop someone from committing fraud or from
having fraud committed against them.

Note, I am not accusing you or your wife of fraud. I am only accusing you of being a
bigot. It's like substituting Punjabi for the "N" word here.

Old Aug 28th 2002, 2:02 pm
Alpona

Hi, I take offence to the Punjabis being crooks generalisation!! I am a Punjabi and
I married my USC husband purely for love and to be with him. I was not given my
visa at the first interview and was given the merry-go- around by the Mumbai
consulate, but the fact that I was a Punjabi never entered the equation!! We're so
happy with our preconceived notions that we forget that there are a few rotten
apples in every basket and it isn't nice to make broad sweeping statements like
that!! Regards, alpona

Old Aug 28th 2002, 3:04 pm
Andrew Defaria

mdmd101 wrote:

> In my case, I didn't petition either of my two previous wives as they were from
    > here. This is the first time in my life that I'm petitioning an alien, my average
    > income for the past three years is in six figures and is reflected on my tax
    > returns that I had to file with affidavit of support.

What the hell does that have to do with anything except to satisfy the Avadafit of
Support issue?!?

> Now, why would a US citizen who is sposoring an alien for the first time in his
    > life, who make six figure income get into a frudulent marriage? -- This is common
    > sense that my marriage is genuine.

You have some odd common sense sir! Why would this happen? Well perhaps precisely
because it's your first time. Perhaps precisely because your make so much. Let me ask
you this: Why would a CEO of an energy company making even much bigger $$$ get
involved in fraudulent activities? Can you say Enron? I knew you could. Just because
you make a lot of money and/or are innocent or naive does not exempt you and, more
importantly, you spouse from breaking the law. Geeze.

> The Consul should have given my wife her visa right away and saved all the
    > aggravation for applicants who appear to be crooked--and I know people in Gujarati
    > and Punjabi community and these people when they do crooked things, they make it
    > very obvious--the consuls should find it easy to identify and go after these peopel
    > rather than harass someone like me whose paperwork points towards a genuine
    > marriage without a reasonable doubt.

Well I have reasonable doubt and your attitude does not help the situation. Sorry you
don't like that the consulate suspected your spouse of doing crooked things but
spouting off that you have lots of money does not change the facts nor the suspicions
that they have. In fact it only adds to it making you appear snobbish and naive.

Maybe you should spend your time, money and intelligence attempting to get to the
bottom of what is really the issues here.

Old Aug 28th 2002, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Alpona, Mrtravel, Andrew and other members who were offended by my post related to Gujaratis and Punjabis:

First and foremost, let me establish that I'm a Gujarati, I've lived in the app. half my life and am a naturalized citizen. I don't come in contact with the Indiani community too often, but sometime when I do, I hear about some ingenious relationship fraud commited by the Gujaratis expecially from Surat district and Punjabis from all over punjab.

The point I was making is that the Consulate is in the habit of discovering 'fruad flags." Likewise, the Consulate should also discover "non-fruad flags."

The FAM clearly advises the Consulate to give the visa to the beneficiary if the Conslate isn't able to procure "Concrete and objective" evidence that "money has changed hands" and the a "reasonable person" would believe that fruad is present based on this evidence.

Now, let me talk about the evidence. In my case, I don't have a pattern of sponsoring aliens--this is the first time in my life I've sponsored somebody. Based on this fact the conslualte should be able to judge that I'm not in the business of bringing aliens into US for money or otherwise.

Secondly, looking at my track record of sustained and high earning, a reasonable person wouldn't believe that I'd enter into a fruad marriage for money--this has been clearly mentioned in the FAM (foreign affairs manual) that money should have changed hands.

Now, the third point I'm making is that the consulate should focus on people who do have "fruad flags" like 3rd or 4th spousal petition or lack proven earnings that could cause someone to enter into a sham marriage for money.

And lastly, Gujaratis and Punjabis do INVENT some ingenious fruads and they are indeed able to cheat the Consular officers as well as the INS agents at the port of entry. -- Unsculprous people from these two communities are responsible for the woes of all of us who get thrown into 221(g).

Well, enough said.

MD
Old Aug 28th 2002, 7:49 pm
Mrtravel

mdmd101 wrote:
    > Alpona, Mrtravel, Andrew and other members who were offended by my post related to
    > Gujaratis and Punjabis:
    > First and foremost, let me establish that I'm a Gujarati, I've lived in the app.
    > half my life and am a naturalized citizen. I don't come in contact with the Indiani
    > community too often, but sometime when I do, I hear about some ingenious
    > relationship fraud commited by the Gujaratis expecially from Surat district and
    > Punjabis from all over punjab.

This doesn't not put you in a better light. You are still painting with a
broad brush.

> The point I was making is that the Consulate is in the habit of discovering 'fruad
    > flags." Likewise, the Consulate should also discover "non-fruad flags."

Having money doesn't make your or the person you are sponsoring immune d to
committing fraud. In fact, you seem to think you should be treated differently
because you have a higher income.

> The FAM clearly advises the Consulate to give the visa to the beneficiary if the
    > Conslate isn't able to procure "Concrete and objective" evidence that "money has
    > changed hands" and the a "reasonable person" would believe that fruad is present
    > based on this evidence.
    > Now, let me talk about the evidence. In my case, I don't have a pattern of
    > sponsoring aliens--this is the first time in my life I've sponsored somebody. Based
    > on this fact the conslualte should be able to judge that I'm not in the business of
    > bringing aliens into US for money or otherwise.

Most people sponsoring immigrants are doing it for the first time. SO WHAT? And...
just because you haven't been involved in fraud before, doesn't meant they shouldn't
be checking out the person you are sponsoring.

> Secondly, looking at my track record of sustained and high earning, a reasonable
    > person wouldn't believe that I'd enter into a fruad marriage for money--

BULL...........

this has been clearly mentioned in the FAM (foreign affairs
    > manual) that money should have changed hands.

How does this prove there is no fraud on her part?
    > And lastly, Gujaratis and Punjabis do INVENT some ingenious fruads a

There you go again... Are Gujaratis and Punjabis the only people that can invent
fraud schemes?

Just because you come from a group of people that the bigots are against doesn't mean
you can't be one yourself. And you sir, appear to be a bigot.

Old Aug 29th 2002, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mrtravel:
mdmd101 wrote:
    > Alpona, Mrtravel, Andrew and other members who were offended by my post related to
    > Gujaratis and Punjabis:
    > First and foremost, let me establish that I'm a Gujarati, I've lived in the app.
    > half my life and am a naturalized citizen. I don't come in contact with the Indiani
    > community too often, but sometime when I do, I hear about some ingenious
    > relationship fraud commited by the Gujaratis expecially from Surat district and
    > Punjabis from all over punjab.

This doesn't not put you in a better light. You are still painting with a
broad brush.

> The point I was making is that the Consulate is in the habit of discovering 'fruad
    > flags." Likewise, the Consulate should also discover "non-fruad flags."

Having money doesn't make your or the person you are sponsoring immune d to
committing fraud. In fact, you seem to think you should be treated differently
because you have a higher income.

> The FAM clearly advises the Consulate to give the visa to the beneficiary if the
    > Conslate isn't able to procure "Concrete and objective" evidence that "money has
    > changed hands" and the a "reasonable person" would believe that fruad is present
    > based on this evidence.
    > Now, let me talk about the evidence. In my case, I don't have a pattern of
    > sponsoring aliens--this is the first time in my life I've sponsored somebody. Based
    > on this fact the conslualte should be able to judge that I'm not in the business of
    > bringing aliens into US for money or otherwise.

Most people sponsoring immigrants are doing it for the first time. SO WHAT? And...
just because you haven't been involved in fraud before, doesn't meant they shouldn't
be checking out the person you are sponsoring.

> Secondly, looking at my track record of sustained and high earning, a reasonable
    > person wouldn't believe that I'd enter into a fruad marriage for money--

BULL...........

this has been clearly mentioned in the FAM (foreign affairs
    > manual) that money should have changed hands.

How does this prove there is no fraud on her part?
    > And lastly, Gujaratis and Punjabis do INVENT some ingenious fruads a

There you go again... Are Gujaratis and Punjabis the only people that can invent
fraud schemes?

Just because you come from a group of people that the bigots are against doesn't mean
you can't be one yourself. And you sir, appear to be a bigot.

Dear Mrtravel:

It is obvious that you're missing the point. The point is that Consulates in Bombay and Chennai are popping out 221(g) letters because certain "fruad factors" like age difference, ethnicity difference, religious difference is present.

My point is that the Consulate should consider the "non-fraud factors" mention in my earlier e-mail as well before giving the beneficiary the 221(g) letter and causing extreme hardship along with extreme emotional stress.

You make a very valid point as to the Consualte checking out the beneficiary as so wheteher the beneficiary is commiting a fruad or not. Now, this becomes a moot point as the beneficiary has not rights to come to the US, only the Petiitioner has the rights to bring an alien spouse to the US. -- This once more defaults to the integrity of the petitioner and as I mentioned in my earlier e-mail, wealth, income, and track record of sponsoring aliens in the past does and should matter in context of the advice given to the Consulates in FAM.

As to being a bigot--talking about reality doesn't make me a bigot.-- The biggest cottage industry in Punjab is home made liquor and the second biggest is preparing fruaudulent paperwork to fool the Canadian and US consulates in giving people visas--non-immigrant especially. Half the Punjabis living in Canada entered illegaly or with fruaudulent documentation. Now, Canada needs people so they look the other way and we don't hear about any dramatic arrest and deportations.

Just by my talking about this doesn't make me a bigot.

Also, let me establish that just because a lot of Gujaratis and Punjabis use fraudulent means to migrate to the US doesn't make them BAD people. They come here and work their asses off to make a good life for themselves and their families.

Unlike, the low life scum I've seen in Oakland, San Francisco, East LA, Alabama, Missisipi, New Mexico, Texas-Mexico border towns, who are born and raised in the US, but spend most of their lives doing PUBLIC and PERSONAL BAD rather than GOOD.

MD