Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

Old Apr 16th 2019, 10:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

Originally Posted by robtuck
Some numbers to get you started, my daughter is just about to complete her first year in College:

Year One - $18k in total costs, counted as In State Tuition. That is very roughly split three ways - Fees, Accommodation and Food
Year Two - $12k in total costs is our current estimate - we can reduce the food costs (in year one her College requires us to spend a minimum amount) and a significant drop in Accommodation costs as she can now live off campus (Year One they had to live in Dorms).
Year Three & Four - $7k ish each year is our expected amount - this is because we expect to have a Green Card in hand, and she will be eligible for the Hope Scholarship as a minimum. This is specific to Georgia and ensures 80% of tuition costs are covered, but can be up to 100% depending on GPA maintained. Other States have similar.

Our daughter cannot work currently as she is on a an L2 Dependent Visa, linked to my work based Visa, so we are funding the cost of this. Fortunately, she should walk away without Student Debt as a result. Otherwise that's $44k in this example. Assuming you come in with the GC sorted and you find a College with a Scholarship, in this example it would be $28k for 4 years but you could work.

However, you are talking about Colleges with a name, so expect to see those numbers become increasingly eye watering.

You also mention about needing to cram two year - you will not. Rest assured, your expected GCSE performance (very impressive) will set you up well and I would well imagine you'll be actually getting College credits before you start college. You would be well placed fr applying to the UK still, with a little International flavour as a bonus - Oxford & Cambridge are not going to select you because of your grades, everyone will have those. Layer in some USA work experience and Volunteering (our daughters High School gave credits for Volunteering for example and College requires it for Scholarships) and you may find yourself with a good background story to sell your way into such and establishment.

Best bet after all this - swallow some pride and speak to your parents about it. I'd be amazed if they know more than you do after reading three pages of this. They need to know what you are worried about and be offered the opportunity to work with you to find the best solution. We offered our daughter the option of staying in the UK with her grandparents but we provided her with all the information to show her the path in the USA. For her, the move was the right thing to do and has actually worked out better for her than staying because of how the system here gradually moves from generic studies to a Major.

Eyewatering indeed. University of Chicago and Northwestern University, in my area, have tuition just over $50k per year. This does not include any living or other expenses.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 10:52 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

What is very common in Austin is for students to attend one or two years of community college and then transfer in to UT Austin. You get the basics of a degree course for approx $1.5K per year and then finish with the higher level courses at the university. Your degree will state UT Austin.
If you can get into a good CS degree program, your summer internships will probably pay for your degree and more. Good CS grads are getting extremely good salaries and sign on bonuses for when they start work.
What we were advised was to NOT count on getting scholarships to pay for the fancy degree course. Most students don't get much and end up with large amounts of debt. Great if your chosen path is well paid, not good if it isn't,
If Britain is still in the EU when you are ready for applying, then look at Netherlands and Sweden perhaps?
Old Apr 16th 2019, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

As you're talking about loans and no money, suggest you do 2 years of community college and then transfer to a 4 year University (for the remaining 2 years). Will likely work out a lot cheaper. No employer will know the difference.

Edit just realized PF said this
Old Apr 17th 2019, 1:51 am
Just Joined

SpeshK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kjacob8007

If I was to stay here, I feel as though I’d finely get through A-Levels, and then attend a nice Russel group uni. Now that I’m moving, I feel as though this’ll significantly hurt my career prospects, would anyone agree with that? While I haven’t completely counted US unis out, I imagine it’d be really hard to get into a good one considering I only have 2 years to make up for anything I’ve missed.
Possibly controversial but you might actually make yourself a more attractive student to a UK university being one paying international fees and some grades (your GCSEs) they can reference against. International students and their associated higher fees are an important revenue stream for UK universities. From what I've seen, AP courses are easier than A-levels too so you're lowering the bar of entry and that's what they'll look at in addition to your GCSEs which would be a good reference point for any admissions person compared to AP courses. For example, what I did in my Further Maths A-level many years ago made some of the AP Maths stuff I've seen here (admittedly, only in passing) seem trivial. That Russell group aspiration could possibly be narrowed down into something a bit more elite with your fee status.

As others have mentioned, undergrad degrees being a year shorter and lot less expensive are a relative bargain compared to some of the more elite US universities. That said, I wouldn't completely discount going to a US university depending on the subject. I've seen some astonishing offers made recently in finance and tech to US grads which in the long run, would definitely pay off against the upfront savings of a cheaper education. I haven't heard of anything close to those types of offers in the UK for UK grads. Even if you're eligible from an immigration standpoint, it would be harder to get those offers coming from a UK university.

Longer term, do you think you'd work in the UK or the US? That would definitely play into my thinking on UK vs US.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Some resources that you may find interesting:
The Facebook group "Paying for college 101". It's not just about finance, but also lots of info about strategies regarding which universities to apply to, how to narrow down choices, college tours/visits/overnighters/acceptance days, scholarships etc.

The Facebook page for the website/company Homeschooling for College Credit is fascinating and provides lots of ways for high schoolers to earn college credits, including online courses. I don;t particularly like the website, but the info is great. Homeschooling for college credit

College credit/recognition for prior learning via CLEP: https://clep.collegeboard.org/
Old Apr 17th 2019, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

kjacob8007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SpeshK
Possibly controversial but you might actually make yourself a more attractive student to a UK university being one paying international fees and some grades (your GCSEs) they can reference against. International students and their associated higher fees are an important revenue stream for UK universities. From what I've seen, AP courses are easier than A-levels too so you're lowering the bar of entry and that's what they'll look at in addition to your GCSEs which would be a good reference point for any admissions person compared to AP courses. For example, what I did in my Further Maths A-level many years ago made some of the AP Maths stuff I've seen here (admittedly, only in passing) seem trivial. That Russell group aspiration could possibly be narrowed down into something a bit more elite with your fee status.

As others have mentioned, undergrad degrees being a year shorter and lot less expensive are a relative bargain compared to some of the more elite US universities. That said, I wouldn't completely discount going to a US university depending on the subject. I've seen some astonishing offers made recently in finance and tech to US grads which in the long run, would definitely pay off against the upfront savings of a cheaper education. I haven't heard of anything close to those types of offers in the UK for UK grads. Even if you're eligible from an immigration standpoint, it would be harder to get those offers coming from a UK university.

Longer term, do you think you'd work in the UK or the US? That would definitely play into my thinking on UK vs US.
Honestly, I’m open to anything. As long as I’ve got an attractive job offer, I’m fine.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 9:05 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

As someone that moved countries before I was 16 and houses about 14 times before University, as well as Schools multiple times, my advise would first be to think about where you want to work after University. While many people keep some good childhood friends, most people know less people at university and so form new friendships and networks there during the 3/UK 4/US years. If your goal is to live and work in America I think a US school and building a US network and new friend will serve you better. While studying in the UK may be cheaper you will be developing UK networks and friends, that you would leave if you moved to the US, and the Russel Group is not really a thing in the US (my undergrad was at a Russel Group University). I know from a lot of time in New York bars from 2001-2010 before meeting my wife that pretty much the first question anyone new you meet would ask would be where you went to school, the sports and logo’ed shirts make it a much bigger deal than the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I’m open to anything. As long as I’ve got an attractive job offer, I’m fine.
The older version of you will be thankful if you don't land yourself in crippling debt. College choice rarely matters in getting a job offer.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Steveq (not sure if he has posted on this thread), .
Yes, I explained that on page 1 of this thread.....

If you're academically good, the system here is actually competitive, and WANTS you to enhance their school - somewhat different from the UK. I don't hear of fees being waived.

And number 2 son is already being asked to continue on to his MSc in Civil engineering. Someday though I'd like him to get a proper job :-)
Old Apr 18th 2019, 2:25 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

My parents aren't US citizens, but from what I’ve heard this process has been going on for quite a long time (a considerable amount of my life), and it’s all started to fall into place around now. In fact, I could’ve possibly moved a year ago, but my parents delayed this so I could first finish my GCSEs. Was this a wise move, and will it have any benefits.
Yes, getting your GCSEs done is a good thing. US schools and colleges can use your grades to give you GPA equivalents/high school credits for your 2 missing US high school years, though not all do so. You will also need a "transcript" (School Documents | US-UK Fulbright Commission ) that also records what you have studied other than for exams during that time so you can get high school credits for subjects such as PE. All this will reduce the need for you to stuff your timetable over the next two years to graduate high school.

You have been asking some very sensible questions and also listening to the answers which is more than some "adult" posters do when requesting help.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Yes, getting your GCSEs done is a good thing. US schools and colleges can use your grades to give you GPA equivalents/high school credits for your 2 missing US high school years, though not all do so. ....
This is important, as some of the blanket assurances about how easy it is to get GSCE grades converted into GPA credits may be overly optimistic, especially in states, such as Florida where your GPA rankings can be converted into scholarships or financial credits for higher education.

In other words, the schools are not going to be keen to credit someone who arrives half way through the high school program, with exceptional GPA points if that puts them in the top tier for financial help with college at the expense of someone who did all four years in the public school system in that state.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion is always against the grain, however, find a relative to stay with in the UK and finish your education (all the way through grad school if you so wish). If after that you would like the idea of coming to the US, and find a path to do so (others on here with more expertise than me), then do so and you will find you will be extremely competitive in the job market.

H
Old Apr 18th 2019, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Maryland
Lots of places in Maryland to study. My experience of working with Americans taught me that they are on average probably bettr-educated than those who went to univesity in the UK !

If you go to the USA and then come back to the UK to study, you would be treated as non-resident and would be liable to international fees - as many posters here have explained.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 12:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
My opinion is always against the grain, however, find a relative to stay with in the UK and finish your education (all the way through grad school if you so wish). If after that you would like the idea of coming to the US, and find a path to do so (others on here with more expertise than me), then do so and you will find you will be extremely competitive in the job market. ...
But at the moment he has a free ride to the US, and potentially a green card, on his parents' coat tails, but immigrating to the US himself, after he is past his 21st birthday, will be somewhere between "difficult" and "impossible", depending not least on his degree subject.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.