Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

Originally Posted by kjacob8007

Even though I’ll still have citizenship here?
Yes, even though you still have British citizenship. You will not be a resident of the UK, thus, you are not eligible for the lower cost tuition. One of several disadvantages of emigrating to a foreign country.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

kjacob8007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
Irrelevant. Residence is all that matters.

FYI, you will not be entitled to free treatment under the NHS while visiting either, since you will no longer be 'ordinarily resident' in the UK.
Ah ok, I see. Thanks a lot because that was one of my main concerns. Although, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere about I have to be in the country within 3 years of applying for a home fees and I’ve had to live at least half my life here. Is this wrong or just outdated?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If you were living in another country on a temporary visa I believe is the criteria, but that isn't true of you, you will be a Permanent Resident of the US and thus in fact and law, living abroad forever (or at least that's the purpose of the Green Card)
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
If you were living in another country on a temporary visa I believe is the criteria, but that isn't true of you, you will be a Permanent Resident of the US and thus in fact and law, living abroad forever (or at least that's the purpose of the Green Card)
Ah, I see. Thanks a lot again.

I guess if I wanted to come back for university, I’ll have to pay the international fees. My parents are definitely not very wealthy, and won’t be able to afford all of this up front, so a loan would be the only way. Would these costs be manageable, or would it just be more suitable to just go to uni in the states.

Also, how does the student loan repayment system work there. I know here that you only repay once you’ve landed a job over a certain salary, and only pay back in moderate monthly instalments. However, while I haven’t seen the fees in America, from what I’ve heard they’re extremely high and graduates are pilled with student debt for years. I’d preferably like to have as little student debt as possible.

Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

A 4 year university (college in the US) can easily run you $40k+ in student loan debt, which is likely to be an amalgam of US Government backed and private loans.

Of course, you can work as a Green Card holder, which may help you stave off some of the costs.

In general, loans can be put into abeyance if you do not make enough to make payments, but interest continues to be added during that time. The US has a student debt crisis, with some people having $100-$300k in debt that they realistically will never pay off. Note that student loan debt is not bankruptable in the US.

If I could offer one piece of advice about US colleges - go to a school that is in state for you, do not go to an out of state school. It will cost you far far more.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 16th 2019 at 4:00 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok, I see. Thanks a lot because that was one of my main concerns. Although, I’m pretty sure I read somewhere about I have to be in the country within 3 years of applying for a home fees and I’ve had to live at least half my life here. Is this wrong or just outdated?

Thanks.
To qualify for home fees, you must be a resident for the 3 years before you start uni. For example if you were attending uni on Sept 2023 you must have be a UK resident from Sept 2020.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot again.

I guess if I wanted to come back for university, I’ll have to pay the international fees. My parents are definitely not very wealthy, and won’t be able to afford all of this up front, so a loan would be the only way. Would these costs be manageable, or would it just be more suitable to just go to uni in the states.

Also, how does the student loan repayment system work there. I know here that you only repay once you’ve landed a job over a certain salary, and only pay back in moderate monthly instalments. However, while I haven’t seen the fees in America, from what I’ve heard they’re extremely high and graduates are pilled with student debt for years. I’d preferably like to have as little student debt as possible.

I gave you a useful link to read all about student loans upthread. Here it is again. It will answer a lot of your questions, including repayment. There are many different loan options, all with different terms. A bit of homework is called for, it's not a simple answer.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/
Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

…. I guess if I wanted to come back for university, I’ll have to pay the international fees. My parents are definitely not very wealthy, and won’t be able to afford all of this up front, so a loan would be the only way. Would these costs be manageable, or would it just be more suitable to just go to uni in the states. ….
Steveq (not sure if he has posted on this thread), has two sons who were teenagers when the family came to the US, the older son retained eligibility for domestic tuition rates in the UK (IIRC because the family was on a non-immigrant visas at that time) and returned there to go to uni. His younger son would have had to pay international tuition in the UK - but rfrom what Steveq has posted, he is actually paying less for college in the US than his older brother in the UK, and he isn't even going to an in-state college (in-state tuition is usually cheaper than for someone from another state going to the same college). While there are plenty of US colleges where the tuition costs are pretty crazy, and then there are years of mandatory dorm fees on top, there are plenty of very good colleges where the fees are much more reasonable.

Bear in mind also that if you're paying for Harvard, Princeton, or Yale then you're paying top dollar for a top-notch education, but there are private colleges (many US colleges and uni's are private institutions, not government owned/backed) where the fees are ridiculously high for no obvious reason - they don't have any particular reputation in any academic areas, they are just somehow seen as "prestigious", and you can end up with something known as a "liberal arts" degree, which AFAIKT is no more than A' Levels in English Lit, Maths, and Science Theory. . In the middle ground there is a sweet spot of good colleges that provide good education at a reasonable cost.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Steveq (not sure if he has posted on this thread), has two sons who were teenagers when the family came to the US, the older son retained eligibility for domestic tuition rates in the UK (IIRC because the family was on a non-immigrant visas at that time) and returned there to go to uni. His younger son would have had to pay international tuition in the UK - but rfrom what Steveq has posted, he is actually paying less for college in the US than his older brother in the UK, and he isn't even going to an in-state college (in-state tuition is usually cheaper than for someone from another state going to the same college). While there are plenty of US colleges where the tuition costs are pretty crazy, and then there are years of mandatory dorm fees on top, there are plenty of very good colleges where the fees are much more reasonable.

Bear in mind also that if you're paying for Harvard, Princeton, or Yale then you're paying top dollar for a top-notch education, but there are private colleges (many US colleges and uni's are private institutions, not government owned/backed) where the fees are ridiculously high for no obvious reason - they don't have any particular reputation in any academic areas, they are just somehow seen as "prestigious", and you can end up with something known as a "liberal arts" degree, which AFAIKT is no more than A' Levels in English Lit, Maths, and Science Theory. . In the middle ground there is a sweet spot of good colleges that provide good education at a reasonable cost.
I see... Well, I would say the plan is to attend a prestigious university like Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc, but honestly I don’t think it’ll happen, especially since I only really have 2 years to cram everything in. I’d have a hugely better chance if I was to stay here and apply for oxford or Cambridge. However, I will still try to get into the best college I can, I doubt I’ll be going to a private one. I do have a question though, in the UK, you can only apply to 5 universities, is it the same there or can you apply for as many as you want.

In addition to this, I’m pretty sure in the UK you just create one application and it’ll be sent to all the uni’s you apply for, in the states do you have to write a different reference letter for each uni? Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Also, I’ve seen about in state and out of state university fees. I’ll be moving to Maryland, and maybe I’m just ignorant, but the standard of colleges there doesn’t seem to be what I’m aiming for, so I guess I’ll have no other choice but to move out of state, especially since I doubt my parents will relocate from Baltimore for a while.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

…. I do have a question though, in the UK, you can only apply to 5 universities, is it the same there or can you apply for as many as you want. ...
There is no central process, you can apply for as many as you like.
Also, I’ve seen about in state and out of state university fees. I’ll be moving to Maryland, and maybe I’m just ignorant, but the standard of colleges there doesn’t seem to be what I’m aiming for, so I guess I’ll have no other choice but to move out of state, especially since I doubt my parents will relocate from Baltimore for a while.
With all due respect, I am not sure what a 15 year old in the UK knows about the "quality" of colleges in Maryland, or anywhere else in the US. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they are poor quality.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 16th 2019 at 4:45 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Some numbers to get you started, my daughter is just about to complete her first year in College:

Year One - $18k in total costs, counted as In State Tuition. That is very roughly split three ways - Fees, Accommodation and Food
Year Two - $12k in total costs is our current estimate - we can reduce the food costs (in year one her College requires us to spend a minimum amount) and a significant drop in Accommodation costs as she can now live off campus (Year One they had to live in Dorms).
Year Three & Four - $7k ish each year is our expected amount - this is because we expect to have a Green Card in hand, and she will be eligible for the Hope Scholarship as a minimum. This is specific to Georgia and ensures 80% of tuition costs are covered, but can be up to 100% depending on GPA maintained. Other States have similar.

Our daughter cannot work currently as she is on a an L2 Dependent Visa, linked to my work based Visa, so we are funding the cost of this. Fortunately, she should walk away without Student Debt as a result. Otherwise that's $44k in this example. Assuming you come in with the GC sorted and you find a College with a Scholarship, in this example it would be $28k for 4 years but you could work.

However, you are talking about Colleges with a name, so expect to see those numbers become increasingly eye watering.

You also mention about needing to cram two year - you will not. Rest assured, your expected GCSE performance (very impressive) will set you up well and I would well imagine you'll be actually getting College credits before you start college. You would be well placed fr applying to the UK still, with a little International flavour as a bonus - Oxford & Cambridge are not going to select you because of your grades, everyone will have those. Layer in some USA work experience and Volunteering (our daughters High School gave credits for Volunteering for example and College requires it for Scholarships) and you may find yourself with a good background story to sell your way into such and establishment.

Best bet after all this - swallow some pride and speak to your parents about it. I'd be amazed if they know more than you do after reading three pages of this. They need to know what you are worried about and be offered the opportunity to work with you to find the best solution. We offered our daughter the option of staying in the UK with her grandparents but we provided her with all the information to show her the path in the USA. For her, the move was the right thing to do and has actually worked out better for her than staying because of how the system here gradually moves from generic studies to a Major.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

To also cover a couple of other points. Your GPA will actually be across the full four years - they will translate your GCSE results into a GPA for each subject - you should e getting A's across the Board, so you will gain credit for all of that study. The course content will then get you the credits needed to more than cover two years of High School Education. You will, depending on when you move, likely be ahead of the other students in your year. From our experience with our daughter and how you describe your level of study, you'd be close to graduating as soon as you arrive, hence push real hard for the AP classes and College accredited learning.

You also asked about ACT - it's pretty much the same as the SAT. Some colleges prefer one or the other, you can take both. They will be a breeze even without planning and study (assuming you achieve what you say you will achieve!). Historically it used to be SAT for the coastal locations and ACT for the middle of the country, it's blending now though.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Not ignorant - just not sufficiently informed - yet...
Google: Johns Hopkins University
Not only is it in Maryland. It's in Baltimore!
And, btw,they offer "need-based scholarships and grants, as well as non-need-based financial aid. The average financial aid package for freshmen in the 2016 academic year was $40,617, according to U.S. News data. Some of the scholarships available at Johns Hopkins include the Hodson Trust Scholarship, which goes to freshmen who have excelled academically and personally; the Charles R. Westgate Scholarship in Engineering" - US News and World Report

Old Apr 16th 2019, 10:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

This is the link to the "Common App". Most universties here willl use this, but I believe it is not compulsory.

https://www.commonapp.org/

Most high schools will offer applications to fie universites at no charge using the common app. After that, you will pay for each application with fees ranging trom $40 or so to $100. Fess can be waived for financial need. In-state and out-of-state fees mostly apply only to the public/state universities. Private universities do not make that distinction because they do not receive state (paid by taxes) funding. Private universities do have their own endowments from which they can award scholarships and financial aid at their discretion.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/college...pplication-fee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.