Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a 15 year old moving to the USA, would appreciate any help!

Just curious.
What's bringing your parents to the US and where are you moving to?
I'm surprised, as you indicate, that you're not kept informed over such a life changing move, however you sound like you have your head screwed on right.
Good luck with everything.

Do you have a notion for a certain type of career?
(Wife is AP teacher.)
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

kjacob8007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Just curious.
What's bringing your parents to the US and where are you moving to?
I'm surprised, as you indicate, that you're not kept informed over such a life changing move, however you sound like you have your head screwed on right.
Good luck with everything.

Do you have a notion for a certain type of career?
(Wife is AP teacher.)
Hi,

Honestly, I don’t think there’s a direct reason that my parents are moving, as stated before they’ve been trying to do this for like 10 years now, and they’ve got the opportunity now so they’d like to take it.

In regards to the career path, I’d like to go into either Engineering or Computer Science. From what I’ve seen, if I was to take the AP route, I’d choose Maths AB and BC, Physics, Chemistry and maybe computer science. No idea if this is too much, but when I was looking at Imperial College offers for a course that looked interesting, they were looking for a 5 in 5 AP courses. No idea how achievable this is. Also, I have no idea about the IB route.

So, when I arrive I should be pushing to get into AP class’s right? I should try and do my SAT as soon as possible as well right. Not sure what the ACT is, but in regards to my GPA, this will just be my average score on work throughout my 2 years there, right?

Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Good plan.
Personally I would concentrate on AP and not be concerned with IB.

Do you know where you're moving to?

(Oh I see...Baltimore.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 16th 2019 at 2:57 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Kjacob...could you please find out what type of visa your father/company is applying for, ie L1, H1b, O etc? Until we know this we cannot say whether you will entitled to home fees as an international student in the UK. It will also make a difference as to whether you can do part time/student work, should you wish to work, while you are at school/uni in the US.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Kjacob...could you please find out what type of visa your father/company is applying for, ie L1, H1b, O etc? Until we know this we cannot say whether you will entitled to home fees as an international student in the UK. It will also make a difference as to whether you can do part time/student work, should you wish to work, while you are at school/uni in the US.
Hello,

I’m positive that I’ll have an immigrant visa, and I’ll get a green card when I enter the US. I’ve already done. R medical and the interview. I know there are classifications for non immigrant visas, but I’m not sure if it’s the same for immigrant visas? If so, then let me know and I’ll find out. If it helps, then my mum is the ‘primary applicant’ or whatever it’s called, and she’s a nurse and has already received a job offer at a hospital in Baltimore.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like an EB-3.

Unusual that a hospital would sponsor that, or that they managed to get past the labor cert for a nurse.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjacob8007

Hello,

I’m positive that I’ll have an immigrant visa, and I’ll get a green card when I enter the US. I’ve already done. R medical and the interview. I know there are classifications for non immigrant visas, but I’m not sure if it’s the same for immigrant visas? If so, then let me know and I’ll find out. If it helps, then my mum is the ‘primary applicant’ or whatever it’s called, and she’s a nurse and has already received a job offer at a hospital in Baltimore.
OK we are making progress. The hospital in Baltimore is applying for a visa for your mum...correct?
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

OK we are making progress. The hospital in Baltimore is applying for a visa for your mum...correct?
That’s something I’m not sure about, but I’ll try to get an answer as soon as I can. Again, I don’t know if this helps, but my parents have applied a long time ago, and I doubt my mum got the job that long ago. But I’ll still try to get an answer.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by civilservant
Sounds like an EB-3.

Unusual that a hospital would sponsor that, or that they managed to get past the labor cert for a nurse.

Yes it would be useful to find out.
Add to the body of knowledge.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 16th 2019 at 3:16 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

That’s something I’m not sure about, but I’ll try to get an answer as soon as I can. Again, I don’t know if this helps, but my parents have applied a long time ago, and I doubt my mum got the job that long ago. But I’ll still try to get an answer.
You don't have any close family in the US do you? Grandparents, for instance? It almost sounds family based if it has been in process for a decade or more.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi I have just found out that it is EB-3 from my mum.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You don't have any close family in the US do you? Grandparents, for instance? It almost sounds family based if it has been in process for a decade or more.
Hello, I’ve found out about why it’s taken so long now. So originally when my mum applied, her application was ‘retrogressed’ because she was born in India, and it’s been an ongoing process for a while and only now it’s been approved.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Since you will be receiving an immigrant visa, when you land in the US you will be resident there, and will not be considered a home student for UK University tuition fees.

Assuming you continue to consider studying in the UK, when the time comes you will want to consider a re-entry permit so that you green card is not considered abandoned when you have been studying in the US for some time.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Since you will be receiving an immigrant visa, when you land in the US you will be resident there, and will not be considered a home student for UK University tuition fees.
Even though I’ll still have citizenship here?
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:43 pm
Often not so civil...

Even though I’ll still have citizenship here?
Irrelevant. Residence is all that matters.

FYI, you will not be entitled to free treatment under the NHS while visiting either, since you will no longer be 'ordinarily resident' in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.