British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Illiteracy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/illiteracy-341739/)

neil Dec 8th 2005 12:58 pm

Illiteracy

I can't believe that Fox news in Cincinnati this morning during their weather report had on screen the word "occational" - WTF?

tony126 Dec 8th 2005 1:07 pm

Re: Illiteracy

Originally Posted by neil
I can't believe that Fox news in Cincinnati this morning during their weather report had on screen the word "occational" - WTF?

Why look on Fox news we are capable of some howlers on BE. :D

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 8th 2005 1:08 pm

I cant believe you watch Fox "News".

gruffbrown Dec 8th 2005 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Fox "News".

It's an oxymoron

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 8th 2005 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
It's an oxymoron

drop the "oxy" bit and its still an accurate description.

Celsius Dec 8th 2005 2:12 pm

Maybe it was a deliberate typo to see how many viewers would contact the station as a result to point out the error. If no-one/few reports are made, Fox News can be confident that they have achieved their goal of grabbing the sector of the US population they hoped to get as viewers... :D

TouristTrap Dec 8th 2005 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
Maybe it was a deliberate typo to see how many viewers would contact the station as a result to point out the error. If no-one/few reports are made, Fox News can be confident that they have achieved their goal of grabbing the sector of the US population they hoped to get as viewers... :D

ROFL! That deserves bunches of karma!....lol

CarlM Dec 8th 2005 3:46 pm

fox nuse cant nevver spel stuf rite

Just Jenney Dec 8th 2005 4:01 pm

We've got three local news stations here -- NBC, ABC and CBS. The 10pm Fox news is done by the same people who do the local NBC news. Every one of them has caption misspellings on pretty much a daily basis. The weather captions are usually ok, but the news captions.... Oy. Just really sad. I never noticed it on the local news when I lived outside DC -- but it jumped out at me when I moved to Richmond a few years ago. Mark feels the same way, he can't believe how crap the proofreading is.

~ Jenney

biccy Dec 8th 2005 5:15 pm

I never know why people get wound up about Fox News - you know, in Victorian times, people would take the family to the local lunatic asylum for a fun day out watching the inmates. In the modern era we have Fox News, which allows us to view the ranting and mouth-frothing of the mentally deranged from the comfort of our own homes.

Rushman Dec 8th 2005 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
fox nuse cant nevver spel stuf rite

I knew someone was going to do that. Deliberate spelling mistakes just aren't that fanny.

Fitz750 Dec 8th 2005 5:25 pm

i've seen Tyre spelt tire and Colour spelt color as well !

neil Dec 8th 2005 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I cant believe you watch Fox "News".

Don't usually but wanted to see the local weather because I'm flying back to NJ this afternoon - the whole Cinci area is in a panic about the 2 inches of snow that they might get later today.

cutina Dec 8th 2005 6:24 pm

Don't usually but wanted to see the local weather because I'm flying back to NJ this afternoon - the whole Cinci area is in a panic about the 2 inches of snow that they might get later today.

There are other channels! I know, I was watching them! :D