Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Illegal immigration - A Story

Illegal immigration - A Story

Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illegal immigration - A Story

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
the country is being largely funded by them and it makes no economic sense to stop.
And that depends what's considered more important. Absolute GDP or GDP per capita.

Unfortunately it seems to be the former.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I have about -17 sympathy for her. Broke the law in so many ways and for such a long period. She's precisely the reason that your average racist american is arguing for a pointless wall.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the reason the contractor would not rehire the now legal immigrant is because if he did so, he would have to collect taxes, pay part of the social security, etc. He pays his workers cash, takes his profit without involving the government and thus puts more in his pocket.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
I have about -17 sympathy for her. Broke the law in so many ways and for such a long period. She's precisely the reason that your average racist american is arguing for a pointless wall.
Why does being an American who wants a closed door against illegal immigrants from the southern hemisphere a racist?

You're an immigrant. You went the legal route to get here. My husband was an immigration, now USC, who went the legal route, as well. Why should we condone, accept and turn a blind eye to the hundreds of thousands of illegals walking across the border and making the US their home? They do not have the legal right to do so. You have that right, as does Boiler, Pulaski, livinginNYC, etc. They do not.

From what I read, Brits are none too happy about the onslaught of immigrants to the UK and they are legal. Does that make them racists all so?

I don't get why Americans are being tarred with the racist brush because they want their borders reinforced so that only legal immigrants can enter.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't get why Americans are being tarred with the racist brush because they want their borders reinforced so that only legal immigrants can enter.
You said it. Not racist at all. That's not a definition of racism.

The term 'racist' just gets used to shut down argument as opposed to open it up to more detailed discussion on all sides.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Why does being an American who wants a closed door against illegal immigrants from the southern hemisphere a racist?

You're an immigrant. You went the legal route to get here.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that all Americans who want a closed border are racist. I'm replying to the fact that she's railing against Trump etc. and yet she is one of the causes of it.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously the reason the contractor would not rehire the now legal immigrant is because if he did so, he would have to collect taxes, pay part of the social security, etc. He pays his workers cash, takes his profit without involving the government and thus puts more in his pocket.
We did not think that was the case, but to get the job he had to be competitive, we assumed a normal main contractor margin.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 4:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The opposite is also true - someone who might work for $6/hr cash is not going to work for so little if taxes, SS, and other mandatory deductions are being made.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:21 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The opposite is also true - someone who might work for $6/hr cash is not going to work for so little if taxes, SS, and other mandatory deductions are being made.
True. USC are working for that amount and having deductions taken from their wages because they are legally able to work in this type of employment.

Illegals, who do not have work authorization, can only work cash paying jobs because they can't complete and I-9.

Who is better off then? The USC who works for minimum wage and has deductions taken from their salary or the illegal for works for the same amount and gets to keep the entire amount? In the short run, it is the illegal who is benefitting.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:27 pm
Concierge

The woman in the article is home free because of her marriage to a US Citizen. Her criminal offenses, state and federal, are 'forgiven' because of this marriage. She is an educated woman. I would wager my monthly ss check that she well knew what she was doing when she married.

Forums, such as these, have existed to my knowledge since the 90's. I learned by reading and by attending immigration classes in NYC for a degree which would allow me to represent immigrants in filing paperwork and in immigration court. She had the same resorts available to her and which lead her to seek her new career in immigration representation.

Do I pity her the health problems she says she endured due to worry about her illegal status and use of fraudulent documentation? Not in the least.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

The woman in the article is home free because of her marriage to a US Citizen. Her criminal offenses, state and federal, are 'forgiven' because of this marriage.
Since when are criminal offences forgiven due to marriage? I get what you're saying, but I believe it's more accurate to state that her offences are inadmissible because she has not been either a) accused and importantly, b) convicted of them.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 7:06 pm
Concierge

Certain criminal offenses are forgiven/overlooked, for lack of a better way for me to say it, and are not an impediment to adjusting status. The biggest no-no's are CIMT and drug dealing/trafficking.

In her application for AOS, she had to put down where she has lived during her lifetime, worked, etc. That information is there for the USCIS to see and they did nothing about it. However, there was one poster here who was banned from the US because she was discovered working here with authorization. That poster was not married to a US citizen.

If one is looking for justice in the immigration situation, you are not going to find it, especially if the spouse is a USC."
Is falsifying documents a crime?

“Falsifying Documents” is a type of white collar crime. It involves altering, changing, or modifying a document for the purpose of deceiving another person. It can also involve the passing along of copies of documents that are known to be false. In many states, falsifying a document is a crime punishable as a felony."

Last edited by Rete; Sep 15th 2016 at 7:08 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 10:26 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Since when are criminal offences forgiven due to marriage? I get what you're saying, but I believe it's more accurate to state that her offences are inadmissible because she has not been either a) accused and importantly, b) convicted of them.
Very true.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

If one is looking for justice in the immigration situation, you are not going to find it
That's true. A lot of people from some countries want to come and visit their relatives but they can never do so as they can't get a visa because it's thought that they might want to stay here, though they're ordinary law-abiding people whose only intention is to visit their relatives and go back. Yet people who break the law by crossing the border illegally or overstaying their visas become US citizens through sham marriages or by having children who automatically become citizens (unlike most other countries) and getting their own citizenships later through them.