Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Illegal immigration - A Story

Illegal immigration - A Story

Old Sep 15th 2016, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illegal immigration - A Story

James Cornford who was one of my teachers at Edinburgh University in the 1960s said that life is easier when you realise that all Americans are bat-shit crazy.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 12:42 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Social Security has no issue with someone who uses a fraudulent social security number and then later getting one in their own name when they can legally do so. All they need to do is have social security transfer their credits and contributions to the new correct social security number.
If true, that is absolutely staggering. It's condoning criminal behaviour.
America just does not want to remove people who shouldn't be in the country.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The sense of entitlement is awesome.

She must be Murican.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
If true, that is absolutely staggering. It's condoning criminal behaviour.
Quite correct, and you use America as a collective that simply is not there.

Social Security do what they do, there is very little overview anywhere.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Social Security do what they do, there is very little overview anywhere.
Why doesn't Congress enact laws preventing Social Security from doing this? Can you imagine HMRC doing this? No chance.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

Why doesn't Congress enact laws preventing Social Security from doing this? Can you imagine HMRC doing this? No chance.
IRS are happy to take taxes, DMV to issue licenses, sanctuary cities, etc etc
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Not only do they not want to remove them, assorted institutions and businesses have for years encouraged, enabled and promoted undocumented people. Not so much at the level of the corporate exec of course, but nevertheless. Immigration, both legal and illegal, is a huge economic engine, and that includes Social Security. Nobody is going to be stopping it for real any time soon...

"There are many ways to debate immigration, but when it comes to economics, there isn’t much of a debate at all. Nearly all economists, of all political persuasions, agree that immigrants — those here legally or not — benefit the overall economy. “That is not controversial,” Heidi Shierholz, an economist at the Economic Policy Institute, told me. Shierholz also said that “there is a consensus that, on average, the incomes of families in this country are increased by a small, but clearly positive amount, because of immigration.” The benefit multiplies over the long haul. As the baby boomers retire, the post-boom generation’s burden to finance their retirement is greatly alleviated by undocumented immigrants. Stephen Goss, chief actuary for the Social Security Administration, told me that undocumented workers contribute about $15 billion a year to Social Security through payroll taxes. They only take out $1 billion (very few undocumented workers are eligible to receive benefits). Over the years, undocumented workers have contributed up to $300 billion, or nearly 10 percent, of the $2.7 trillion Social Security Trust Fund."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/ma...nomy.html?_r=0
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Not only do they not want to remove them, assorted institutions and businesses have for years encouraged, enabled and promoted undocumented people. Not so much at the level of the corporate exec of course, but nevertheless. Immigration, both legal and illegal, is a huge economic engine, and that includes Social Security. Nobody is going to be stopping it for real any time soon...

"There are many ways to debate immigration, but when it comes to economics, there isn’t much of a debate at all. Nearly all economists, of all political persuasions, agree that immigrants — those here legally or not — benefit the overall economy. “That is not controversial,” Heidi Shierholz, an economist at the Economic Policy Institute, told me. Shierholz also said that “there is a consensus that, on average, the incomes of families in this country are increased by a small, but clearly positive amount, because of immigration.” The benefit multiplies over the long haul. As the baby boomers retire, the post-boom generation’s burden to finance their retirement is greatly alleviated by undocumented immigrants. Stephen Goss, chief actuary for the Social Security Administration, told me that undocumented workers contribute about $15 billion a year to Social Security through payroll taxes. They only take out $1 billion (very few undocumented workers are eligible to receive benefits). Over the years, undocumented workers have contributed up to $300 billion, or nearly 10 percent, of the $2.7 trillion Social Security Trust Fund."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/ma...nomy.html?_r=0
Somebody I know had a roof redone, and he told me how much it was, much less than I expected, and how long they took etc. So I was talking to a friend who used to be in the business and we quickly crunched some numbers and reckoned the Contractor employee costs were about $12 an hour.

Noway obviously you could do that with legal labour.

Also spoke to someone yesterday who lived in SE Colorado, he was telling me he could get construction labour easily for $8 and hour, he pays $10. $12 would be max, cash obviously.

Those calculations are very misleading, they do not take into account many many costs that are not covered, one child for example would be $10k a year to educate.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody I know had a roof redone, and he told me how much it was, much less than I expected, and how long they took etc. So I was talking to a friend who used to be in the business and we quickly crunched some numbers and reckoned the Contractor employee costs were about $12 an hour.

Noway obviously you could do that with legal labour.

Also spoke to someone yesterday who lived in SE Colorado, he was telling me he could get construction labour easily for $8 and hour, he pays $10. $12 would be max, cash obviously.

Those calculations are very misleading, they do not take into account many many costs that are not covered, one child for example would be $10k a year to educate.
Yet there is clearly a net economic gain or it wouldn't continue to happen the way it does. Your educated immigrant child will go on in a few short years to become a net contributor to the country's economy way beyond the cost of education.

The whole thing is really a political football. Nobody really has the slightest intention of stopping it, and frankly I don't think it's even possible to stop it. History suggests that anyway.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Yet there is clearly a net economic gain or it wouldn't continue to happen the way it does. Your educated immigrant child will go on in a few short years to become a net contributor to the country's economy way beyond the cost of education.

The whole thing is really a political football. Nobody really has the slightest intention of stopping it, and frankly I don't think it's even possible to stop it. History suggests that anyway.
Wrong

Some people are winners, some are losers, some are both at different times.

If you were once a Roofer, well you can not compete with somebody on $12 an hour cash.

From what I have observed the children are not net obvious net contributors.

Another example, quite common, guy was here illegally, married, followed his wife's story about going through waiver process etc, came back with a GC.

Worked in Construction, responsible, good worker, wanted to go back to work with same employer, could not.

Even at the same pay rate, now he wanted to be legal, employer actual costs with deductions etc would have nearly doubled his hourly cost.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:57 pm

Wrong

Some people are winners, some are losers, some are both at different times.

If you were once a Roofer, well you can not compete with somebody on $12 an hour cash.

From what I have observed the children are not net obvious net contributors.

Another example, quite common, guy was here illegally, married, followed his wife's story about going through waiver process etc, came back with a GC.

Worked in Construction, responsible, good worker, wanted to go back to work with same employer, could not.

Even at the same pay rate, now he wanted to be legal, employer actual costs with deductions etc would have nearly doubled his hourly cost.

I'm not sure what' s wrong exactly

The country as a whole clearly benefits. Individuals may or may not, and that goes for immigrants as well.

The sample that "you have observed" simply isn't large enough to verify national benefit.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Certainly not clear at all, if you only look at part of the picture you will only get a distorted response.

And you would need to define what you mean by whole country.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:03 pm

Certainly not clear at all, if you only look at part of the picture you will only get a distorted response.

And you would need to define what you mean by whole country.
The US as a political and geographic entity.

And looking at that entity is what gives you the overall picture.

If you look at individual instances, you will find some better off, some worse off, and some about the same. The national picture gives you the aggregate, and I posted the numbers above from that New York Times article. That is, partly, why the US takes no real measures to stop illegal immigration - the country is being largely funded by them and it makes no economic sense to stop.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:12 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Question here...

As people have questioned how she was able to transition to legal through marriage despite a less-than-legal route - would that have been forgiven under president Obama's amnesty? hence her ability ultimately become a USC?

Or does the article predate Obama's policies? (sorry its been a few days since I read it).
Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

The US as a political and geographic entity.

And looking at that entity is what gives you the overall picture.

If you look at individual instances, you will find some better off, some worse off, and some about the same. The national picture gives you the aggregate, and I posted the numbers above from that New York Times article. That is, partly, why the US takes no real measures to stop illegal immigration - the country is being largely funded by them and it makes no economic sense to stop.
As has been mentioned nobody looks at the big picture.

Well not often or usually.

Some of it is calculable, some is subjective.

Social Security contributions for example, well short term those that pay in and can not claim is a plus, as it is essentially a ponzi scheme. If they legalise now or if there is amnesty down the road it will be another unfunded liability.

Schools, well a minus as most Schooling is funded by property taxes and there are cross subsidies.

If you are a construction worker obviously a minus, pay is lower than it was 15 years ago.

I could go on and on.

Probably the big issue is the long term effects, which can not be quantified. They can be guessed at, not looking good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.