British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Illegal immigration - A Story (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/illegal-immigration-story-883282/)

civilservant Sep 13th 2016 4:35 pm

Illegal immigration - A Story

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-sachs?0p19G=c

Comments? :popcorn:

sir_eccles Sep 13th 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Illegal immigration - A Story

Radioactive site?

civilservant Sep 13th 2016 5:04 pm

I didn't quite understand that either

sir_eccles Sep 13th 2016 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12051212)
I didn't quite understand that either

I may be heading down a Gordon Barlow-esque rabbit hole by googling "twin towers site radioactive" apparently "micronukes" took down the towers.

livinginnyc Sep 13th 2016 5:22 pm

Either an overexcited reporter trying to (badly) describe the scene... or we didnt get the full story about ground zero.

She likes to complain about pee breaks and eating lunch at her desk (but honestly, who doesn't eat at their desk these days), but I think I could 'suffer' those issues for the salary she was on!!!!

MMcD Sep 13th 2016 5:23 pm

[QUOTE=civilservant;12051186]https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-sachs?0p19G=c

Thanks for posting that

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12051186)
Comments? :popcorn:

No, because with her own account of her harrowing personal journey as context, her own words will better serve as 'my comment':

Win or lose, Trump has torn the social fabric. “It’s not just what he said that angers me, it’s the reaction of our country that angers me even more, ......the sentiment he’s expressing already exists in our country. He’s just said it loud and made it OK for everyone else to say it out loud. He has made it OK to be a racist. He has given people a platform to stand on and be bigots and be racists and be sexists and be xenophobic. He has set us back so many years in terms of civil rights.”

Pulaski Sep 13th 2016 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12051221)
I may be heading down a Gordon Barlow-esque rabbit hole by googling "twin towers site radioactive" apparently "micronukes" took down the towers.

I thought it was thermite? :unsure:

sir_eccles Sep 13th 2016 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12051230)
I thought it was thermite? :unsure:

Only if it was "nanothermite" built into the walls during the original construction in the 1970s.

Pulaski Sep 13th 2016 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12051233)
Only if it was "nanothermite" built into the walls during the original construction in the 1970s.

No, the thermite was brought in by Fuji Bank and installed in the summer of 2001 on the reinforced 81st floor of the South Tower, disguised as uninterruptable power supply batteries, which were never turned on. :nod:

There were also missiles containing depleted uranium fired at the towers, possibly fired from the planes. :nod:

livinginnyc Sep 13th 2016 5:50 pm

Oh boy.

Just gonna put this little link here 'just in-case'... ;)

(my brand of choice is Reynolds Wrap btw... keeps my ultimate Mojito recipe safe).

Pulaski Sep 13th 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12051247)
.... my brand of choice is Reynolds Wrap btw. .....

Founded by Richard S Reynolds, a fine North Carolinian, and nephew of Richard J Reynolds, founder of the RJ Reynolds tobacco company. :nod:

jkeller Sep 13th 2016 6:43 pm

Short version of this article....

Person came to the US legally, overstayed visa, stole someone's identity so she could go to college and get a job on wall street, always afraid of getting caught being in the US illegally, married a US citizen for love, got a green card, fell out of love and divorced US citizen, became a US citizen, don't vote for Trump.

rpjs Sep 13th 2016 8:10 pm

I work at 4WTC. Anyone got a geiger counter I could borrow?

livinginnyc Sep 13th 2016 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12051335)
I work at 4WTC. Anyone got a geiger counter I could borrow?

Nope but I have plenty of tin foil. Put it on the walls of your office for guaranteed protection* - Tell your friends! :nod:

*= no guarantees made.

Pulaski Sep 13th 2016 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12051337)
Nope but I have plenty of tin foil. Put it on the walls of your office for guaranteed protection .....

That's all you need for protection from alpha particles and beta particles. :nod: