Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Illegal immigrants $18 bln boost to Texas: report

Illegal immigrants $18 bln boost to Texas: report

Old Dec 11th 2006, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Illegal immigrants $18 bln boost to Texas: report

I would tend to disagree, if you are on a low wages Wal Mart etc is essential.

Wal Mart has had cases where contractors turned out to be illegal, but my belief is that most of its staff are not.

Having just come back from a trip to the UK I can not say I noticed anything different in attitudes.

I believe Food where I am am, CO, is more expensive, Tesco's certainly seemed cheaper than say Albertsons, or Safeway US.

Beer here is a lot cheaper, and 3 pints and I am finished.

Electrical goods, not sure, I do remember seeing Electric Irons for 4 quid in Tesco's, no idea what they are here. I think when you strip out VAT there is no longer a big difference.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:54 am
Account Closed

Dear Elected Official,

As a native Coloradoan and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen to illegal alien stem from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year. Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,
(and hopefully and illegal one)
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am becoming more and more convinced that the US has never got over its loss of slavery, illegals are a much much better bet:

1. Unlimited Supply.

2. No Capital Investment, in fact they incur the costs of shipping themselves to you.

3. No Housing costs.

4. No Medical Costs.

5. No sickness/injury issues.

6. No social costs, well to the employer.

7. Minimal wage costs, which have the added benefit of holding down wages for who may not be illegal.

In all a much better deal than slaves.
This whole debate on illegal immigration is old and tired. Learn Spanish.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

yeah right if you actually knew anything about the lives of illegal immigrants you might change your tune...

trust me its not a walk in the park. The vast majority work very hard (harder than most americans would ever be prepared to) earn very little, live in harsh conditions and generally have fairly difficult lives, not to mention being worried that la migra is going to pounce at any momenty and send you back to the hell hole you came from. Have you any idea what the average wage for an immigrant family is... its below your wildest guess.

it seems to be me that to many people here Hispanic people are worth less than dirt. They are invisible. They clean up everyone's shit and get treated the same way.
I am sure many would gladly swap their immigration status with you at any time.

Dear Elected Official,

As a native Coloradoan and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen to illegal alien stem from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year. Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:35 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick01
The relative high unemployment rate of unqualified americans can be seen as a result of illigal immigratin.
Or the Minimum wage, Free Market, expensive of going to University/being trained, technology. Or the fact that most Americans don't want to do crap jobs.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

and vote for people that care more about lining their own pockets and those of their cronies going to war for no reason rather than spending money on education so that these people need not be illeducated and untrained
Originally Posted by tony_2003
Or the Minimum wage, Free Market, expensive of going to University/being trained, technology. Or the fact that most Americans don't want to do crap jobs.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by angelman
yeah right if you actually knew anything about the lives of illegal immigrants you might change your tune...

trust me its not a walk in the park. The vast majority work very hard (harder than most americans would ever be prepared to) earn very little, live in harsh conditions and generally have fairly difficult lives, not to mention being worried that la migra is going to pounce at any momenty and send you back to the hell hole you came from. Have you any idea what the average wage for an immigrant family is... its below your wildest guess.

it seems to be me that to many people here Hispanic people are worth less than dirt. They are invisible. They clean up everyone's shit and get treated the same way.
I am sure many would gladly swap their immigration status with you at any time.

Who mentioned Hispanics?

I find that particularly offensive as I have a Grandson born in the US who is half Hispanic, and a future daughter in law, also born in the US.

Racial sterotyping at its worst.

PS I also have a friend English through and through who is working here illegally.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

Who does, if you have choices.

The local packing plant was raided this morning, used to be heavily unionised paid OK wages and benefits for crappy jobs.

Now it pays minimum wage type jobs. No union.

Must be a big mistake mind you as the Company has put out an announcement that it does not knowingly employ illegals.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:23 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Who does, if you have choices.
What are the choices for an unskilled worker though? Not work or take $2 an hour jobs?

The reality of it all is that there is little incentive for protectionism in any form. Businesses are in it to make money, patriotism goes out of the window when it comes to making millions. There's a reason your packing plant employs illegals. It's the same reason Microsoft are having their software developed in India and Walmart are replacing their checkout operators with automated ones. The word is capitalism. And the whole world is involved in it.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:37 am
Account Closed

What are the choices for an unskilled worker though? Not work or take $2 an hour jobs?

The reality of it all is that there is little incentive for protectionism in any form. Businesses are in it to make money, patriotism goes out of the window when it comes to making millions. There's a reason your packing plant employs illegals. It's the same reason Microsoft are having their software developed in India and Walmart are replacing their checkout operators with automated ones. The word is capitalism. And the whole world is involved in it.
Most of the people I know run small business's.

One has just started a Landscaping Business. She is definitely on the left side of American Politics, asked her who she would be employing to do the work - Mexicans was the answer, but only legal ones
Old Dec 13th 2006, 11:53 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

I am becoming more and more convinced that the US has never got over its loss of slavery, illegals are a much much better bet:

1. Unlimited Supply.

2. No Capital Investment, in fact they incur the costs of shipping themselves to you.

3. No Housing costs.

4. No Medical Costs.

5. No sickness/injury issues.

6. No social costs, well to the employer.

7. Minimal wage costs, which have the added benefit of holding down wages for who may not be illegal.

In all a much better deal than slaves.
I have said exactly this to my wife. Amerrica got a good start from free labour and has never wanted to change. But it is only the mexicans, working conditions for the american poor are pretty bad with little or no job protection, long hours and little pay. Even menial jobs like Maccy D's are scrambled for by those who want to work to support a family. The working poor seem to be viewed as cattle to serve billionaires in the US 21st century to the degree they were in the UK during the industrial revolution.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 12:27 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Elected Official,

Your Loyal Constituent,
Almost half a million Mexican families live in garages in California. For which they pay the house owners rent out of the few dollars they earn. As has been mentioned I am sure all of them would swap immigration status with you and gleefully pay their taxes, After unscrupulous employers have paid them their two dollars an hour, having worked 14 hours a day doing backbreaking work picking strawberrys etc, even paying inflated taxes would leave them far better off. As far as the emergency room being your primary health care provider.....I don't know. A and E in the UK is bad enough, people in corridors waiting five hours for treatment in a dirty, unsterilised environment? And I am sure it is much worse here. That said, if all that saves you a few grand (which you wouldn't have if you were in that situation anyway) then go for it. Good luck mate :
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Almost half a million Mexican families live in garages in California. For which they pay the house owners rent out of the few dollars they earn. As has been mentioned I am sure all of them would swap immigration status with you and gleefully pay their taxes, After unscrupulous employers have paid them their two dollars an hour, having worked 14 hours a day doing backbreaking work picking strawberrys etc, even paying inflated taxes would leave them far better off. As far as the emergency room being your primary health care provider.....I don't know. A and E in the UK is bad enough, people in corridors waiting five hours for treatment in a dirty, unsterilised environment? And I am sure it is much worse here. That said, if all that saves you a few grand (which you wouldn't have if you were in that situation anyway) then go for it. Good luck mate :
You imply I wrote it, I did not.

Not so sure about California, but living out of Garages is not the norm in Colorado, most make realtively reasonable money.

I will be in California this weekend, I will have a look see.

And why this fascination with Mexicans, they are a minority of the out of status population in the US.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am pretty sure they are not a minority here in a cali.. cant speak for the rest of the US.. just from my own experience...
plus its not just mexicans.. there are other countries south of the border...
You imply I wrote it, I did not.

Not so sure about California, but living out of Garages is not the norm in Colorado, most make realtively reasonable money.

I will be in California this weekend, I will have a look see.

And why this fascination with Mexicans, they are a minority of the out of status population in the US.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

and in fact I am right.. hispanics are the largest minority in the US today..
http://geography.about.com/b/a/002086.htm

Originally Posted by angelman
I am pretty sure they are not a minority here in a cali.. cant speak for the rest of the US.. just from my own experience...
plus its not just mexicans.. there are other countries south of the border...

Last edited by angelman; Dec 13th 2006 at 5:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.