Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ignorant USC

Ignorant USC

Old May 12th 2005, 6:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ignorant USC

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I had an interesting conversation with a psychology student once about the American education system. Apparently there is a form of indirect control that can be exerted on a population if you can make most of them ignorant and have them live in fear, he told me the name of the technique but I don't recall it any more.
Scare the shit out of them and you violate the classic Mazlow's hierarchy of needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow'...ramid_of_needs

Feeling secure is just above having your stomach full and a place to relieve yourself. Only then can you learn.
Old May 12th 2005, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Scare the shit out of them and you violate the classic Mazlow's hierarchy of needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs#Pyramid_of_needs

Feeling secure is just above having your stomach full and a place to relieve yourself. Only then can you learn.
A population in fear is a population enslaved.
Old May 12th 2005, 7:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Ahh like the Brits in America, buying English foods and products online, in stores, getting them in care packages from relatives back "home", play footie or is that footsie, get drunk on imported British lager, get loud and obnoxious with their other British cronies in the taverns of North Carolina where the enclave of Brits probably outnumber the Yanks ... and believe that their viewpoints, opinions and lifestyles are the only proper way to be ... screw everyone and everything else ... Very narrow minded and intolerate of you.
Yup no difference whatsoever.

Nope -- very different!

We were comparing military stationed overseas with immigrants. We could perhaps break it down further, but there's little point if you can't grasp the basics. Have another read, a little time for consideration and then we'll see if you have enough understanding to proceed.

P.S. I think the adjective is intolerant. I've never seen anybody try to turn the negative into a verb. Is this a Yank thing?
Old May 12th 2005, 7:47 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see that as your experience with America. It is, however, your experience with your relatives by marriage. Might well have been the same experience if you married a Brit with an ex-husband and the in-laws from hell.
I do, seeing as I'm the one living the experience.
Old May 12th 2005, 7:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Nope -- very different!

P.S. I think the adjective is intolerant. I've never seen anybody try to turn the negative into a verb. Is this a Yank thing?
Yanks want to turn nouns into verbs all the time. I believe intolerant is both an adjective and a verb, though. Intolerance is the noun.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nope -- very different!

We were comparing military stationed overseas with immigrants. We could perhaps break it down further, but there's little point if you can't grasp the basics. Have another read, a little time for consideration and then we'll see if you have enough understanding to proceed.

*** off .. it was a typo ... Mr. FatButt ... err Mr. FatBrit
Old May 12th 2005, 8:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Yanks want to turn nouns into verbs all the time. I believe intolerant is both an adjective and a verb, though. Intolerance is the noun.

Would seem much easier to use a negative modal auxiliary before the verb tolerant to convey the idea IMHO. Maybe it's a NYC thing. Have to wait for Rete to get back to us.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:11 pm
Septicity

*** off .. it was a typo ... Mr. FatButt ... err Mr. FatBrit

Always interested in digging down to find the true colours.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:11 pm
Lapine Member

FWIW.... if I make a correction to someone's post, it is NEVER to humiliate them, only to clarify. If I have an issue with anyone, I take it to PMs. Spelling/grammar one-upmanship leads to Armageddon, I have found. This is not directed at anyone in specific; I've seen it everywhere on this forum.

My tuppence.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:13 pm
Septicity

FWIW.... if I make a correction to someone's post, it is NEVER to humiliate them, only to clarify. If I have an issue with anyone, I take it to PMs. Spelling/grammar one-upmanship leads to Armageddon, I have found. This is not directed at anyone in specific; I've seen it everywhere on this forum.

My tuppence.

And I'm a great subscriber to the theory of Englishes myself.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:18 pm
Lapine Member

And I'm a great subscriber to the theory of Englishes myself.
There are multiple variants of English spoken. What is the plural?
Old May 12th 2005, 8:23 pm
Septicity

There are multiple variants of English spoken. What is the plural?
I dunno. I was using Englishes but I'm open to suggestions.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:26 pm
Lapine Member

I dunno. I was using Englishes but I'm open to suggestions.
I'd suggest "English variants" and put the burden of the plural on "variant." Englishi? the possibilities are all rather bastardised.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I do, seeing as I'm the one living the experience.
Am I to understand that your holding the entire nation responsible for your failure to get on with your in-laws?

Could you possibly clarify this, I am having a bit of difficulty grasping this concept- perhaps it's a Brit thing.

Were I to marry a Brit and subsequently move to the UK where I began having problems with her former spouse and his relatives as well as hers, I would not attempt to lay blame on the entire United Kingdom for my predicaments.

So, unless you can explain this situation in more detail, I must, for the moment at least, concur with Rete's view on this matter.

Last edited by Jabba1; May 12th 2005 at 8:49 pm.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

My tuppence.
Umm, do you mean 2 cents worth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.