Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:09 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 49
monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of
Default Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

So, this girl's song "Fancy" made it to No.1 on the US Billboard top 100. It's been on the radio a lot, especially in the LA area. She's being touted as the next big thing in hip-hop, and recently performed on stage with Beyonce.

Interestingly, I read this article about her origins.
http://bosslady.tv/american-dreamin-...ial-interview/

To summarise it for those who can't be bothered to read it, she moved illegally from her native Australia at 16 with no qualifications, with a dream to become a famous rapper- she bummed around making ends meet under the table while building contacts. She returned home every 3 months on the VWP. She avoided deportation by exploiting her stepfather's job at Qantas as a flight attendant, who made weekly LA roundtrips- he would put her on his staff ticket/manifest to make it look like she had left the country immediately, when in fact she would stay for 90 days. Eventually, she landed a record deal and 6 years after "moving", got an O-1 visa legally through her achievements. This was "very stressful" for her. And now she has a No.1 hit, is a multi-millionaire, is also a professional model, yada yada.

I guess, depending on how cynical you are, this is a rebuttal towards for all the "not a chance in hell" replies that one finds around here- that where there is determination there is a way; alternatively, the cynics would say that to copy her would be foolish, and they'd be right.

Anyway, hope this interests some of you out there- there may be some on this forum who have no interest whatsoever in pop culture!
monfed is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:20 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

Yes the 'not a chance in hell' is for people wanting to move legally. Of course they could take their chances illegally.
Sally Redux is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 5:45 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 138
Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

There was a good documentary on CNN by Morgan Spurlock related to immigration (especially Mexicans picking oranges) where he mentioned the alien of extraordinary ability visa being given to anyone including playboy models, musicians etc.
Funstuie is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:01 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

Originally Posted by monfed View Post
To summarise it for those who can't be bothered to read it, she moved illegally from her native Australia at 16 with no qualifications, with a dream to become a famous rapper- she bummed around making ends meet under the table while building contacts. She returned home every 3 months on the VWP. She avoided deportation by exploiting her stepfather's job at Qantas as a flight attendant, who made weekly LA roundtrips- he would put her on his staff ticket/manifest to make it look like she had left the country immediately, when in fact she would stay for 90 days. Eventually, she landed a record deal and 6 years after "moving", got an O-1 visa legally through her achievements. This was "very stressful" for her. And now she has a No.1 hit, is a multi-millionaire, is also a professional model, yada yada.
It's also possible that she is lying or embellishing her story. Nothing like a badboy image to drive those sales!

Originally Posted by Funstuie View Post
the alien of extraordinary ability visa being given to anyone including playboy models, musicians etc.
There are plenty of people on these forums with an O visa. Given the right evidence and properly presented, yes it probably isn't that difficult to get.
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:14 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 138
Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
There are plenty of people on these forums with an O visa. Given the right evidence and properly presented, yes it probably isn't that difficult to get.
I wasn't commenting on anyone who has an O visa just that anyone can get one with the right credentials it seems.
Funstuie is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:18 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 49
monfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud ofmonfed has much to be proud of
Default Re: Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
It's also possible that she is lying or embellishing her story. Nothing like a badboy image to drive those sales!
While it's possible, her wikipedia entry and Aussie accent if you watch her speak in videos definitely lend credence to the story. How else is a 16 year old without even a high school degree gonna make it to the US legally? (I suppose it could be a family connection, but she was born in Aus and her parents are Australian).

Anyway, I clearly have too much time at work if I am reading her wiki.....
monfed is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:27 pm
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

Originally Posted by monfed View Post
While it's possible, her wikipedia entry and Aussie accent if you watch her speak in videos definitely lend credence to the story. How else is a 16 year old without even a high school degree gonna make it to the US legally? (I suppose it could be a family connection, but she was born in Aus and her parents are Australian).

Anyway, I clearly have too much time at work if I am reading her wiki.....
I'm sure she is Australian. I meant it would not be beyond the realms of possibility that she was embellishing the whole working illegally and switching her ticket around with her stepfather's help (oh odd, wikipedia doesn't mention her stepfather - quick someone edit it).
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:55 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iggy Azalea- or how to move to the USA without qualifications/family ties

Tell me it's actually a spoof

"Hello Dere Mon'

Sally Redux is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.