Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:10 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had the choice: Australia or USA

New Zealand
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

I've never visited/lived in Oz and live in the US.

How close are you to your family in the UK? It seems to me that a lot of the Brits who emigrate to Oz miss their family back in the UK and due to the tremendous distance between the two countries, this is probably of one of the top two reasons why those who move to Oz return to the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

One other point to bear in mind with with Oz is the time zone difference in maintaining contact with UK rellies.

You will really have to tell us where in Oz you will be relocated. I spent 3 months in Oz so although I didnt live there I did get an impression about the place. In my opinion outside of the main cities, and I'm talking mainly Sydney and Melbourne I found it a little hickvillish for me. I think that if your the type of person who enjoys culture then you wont be satisfied in Oz. If your husband is a career type he also may find Oz limiting. I'm not saying the US is better (far from it) but the good thing about the US is it looks good on a resume to say you have US work experience. Also its easy from a geographical standpoint to get access to the rest of the world and especially Europe. Plus its easier for your families to visit the US.

Both countries take some period of adjustment you wont settle immediately and you may spend time second guessing whichever country you eventually choose, all part of emigrating unfortunately. All I would say is think about the type of people you are and your interests and how important your relationships in the Uk are to you and then weigh up both countries based on what you uncover in your research.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:44 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
For money - USA

For quality of life - Australia.

You didn't say which part of the USA or Oz you may be relocated to - both countries are vast and Hawaii is as different to Alaska as Darwin is different to Hobart, Tasmania.....

From what I've observed over the years, many young professional Australians do like to live and work overseas for a few years purely to make some money as taxes are high in Australia. Without doubt, every single one of the expat Aussies I've met (including my best friend here in New Jersey) plan to 'go home' eventually.

My favourite city in the world is Sydney and when we lived in Singapore my husband often had to travel down to work in the company's Sydney office. We did talk about him getting a posting there but he just wasn't interested; one reason is that it is such a desirable place to live that he wouldn't get a very good package as the company can easily find staff to work or relocate there. His main reason is that it would have been quite limiting for his career - he is in senior IT management and it's not easy to progress in such a small Australian market.

Had to smile at TruBrit's impression of the Aussie accent...I actually like it and would far rather hear that than the dreadful New York/New Joisey accents which I hear daily here LOL!

So, OP - which cities are you likely to be relocated to?
I love it too, wish I still had mine!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Australia wins everytime, it has my heart!

I don't like the USA because of the gun laws & the education system isn't very good IMO (England wins for the education side of things).
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:48 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

australia: too hot and too many scary bugs

if i had a choice it wouldn't be either of those, but US is nice anyway
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
.... I found it a little hickvillish for me. I think that if your the type of person who enjoys culture then you wont be satisfied in Oz.....
Culture, Lisa? Is that what you call it now?

Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:51 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Is this not a bit like one of those "if you had one bullet and david beckham and posh spice were standing in front of you who would you shoot ??" questions
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Is this not a bit like one of those "if you had one bullet and david beckham and posh spice were standing in front of you who would you shoot ??" questions
personally give me the Uk or somewhere decent in Europe anyday!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
Australia wins everytime, it has my heart!

I don't like the USA because of the gun laws & the education system isn't very good IMO (England wins for the education side of things).

is your opinion based on where you live ? do you have kids at school ?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:13 pm
Back where I belong!

Make them put both of their heads together & if you're lucky it will go through both, although they are both thick heads, so who knows?!?!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:14 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Eskimo
It's based on where I have lived. My son isn't in school yet, but I don't want him going in this country anyway. I wanna go back to England for him to be educated.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:19 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
To be fair most surveys show the US secondary education system as a whole to be pish.
That's not to say that the best schools wouldn't be on a par with the best schools in other countries, but if you can't afford to get your kid into a good school I would rather let my hypothetical kids take their chances back home, where we have the best schools in the UK
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
It's based on where I have lived. My son isn't in school yet, but I don't want him going in this country anyway. I wanna go back to England for him to be educated.
so you are commenting about the education system in Arizona NOT the US ? - my eldest goes to one the best high schools in CA - it is simply light years ahead of the school she went to the UK and that was considered good ...what makes you think the UK is better ?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

but if you can't afford to get your kid into a good school I would rather let my hypothetical kids take their chances back home, where we have the best schools in the UK

if you can't afford it in the US you won't be able to afford it in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.