Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you could vote for brexit again, would you?

If you could vote for brexit again, would you?

Old Nov 12th 2019, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you could vote for brexit again, would you?

To suggest there is a common EU view ex UK is about as valid as saying there is a common view of the EU in the UK.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
If a majority of the population do not truly believe in the EU project why is it not best for all concerned that we educate them of its value?

Leaving might be best for those who stand to financially benefit from doing so. But I cannot accept the logic that it is best for all concerned.

As someone who is very pro-EU, how is leaving the EU the best outcome for you? How do you stand to benefit?
I did not vote and fully believe we are financially worse off by leaving. I would prefer us to remain, clearly, but feel it would have continued to be a painful existence, politically speaking. Leaving at least rips that plaster off, but you are right, it's like hitting a child to prevent it from causing harm to itself. There wasn't ever going to be a good ending once the question was asked - which it shouldn't have been, not the way it was. I blame the politicians who are now trying to stall the thing - they are just as guilty of undermining the whole concept of being in the EU.

On a personal level, it impacts my family as my daughter did have ideas of spending some time living and working in France, which will no doubt e harder in the future if she wishes to. My employment is less secure, or could have been, as we rely on using native French, German, Italian, Spanish etc. but only have a UK office, so the costs are likely going to increase over time. I don;t see anything good for me on a personal level by being Out.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
I did not vote and fully believe we are financially worse off by leaving. I would prefer us to remain, clearly, but feel it would have continued to be a painful existence, politically speaking. Leaving at least rips that plaster off, but you are right, it's like hitting a child to prevent it from causing harm to itself. There wasn't ever going to be a good ending once the question was asked - which it shouldn't have been, not the way it was. I blame the politicians who are now trying to stall the thing - they are just as guilty of undermining the whole concept of being in the EU.
I think the idea that Leaving represents rips the plaster off is perhaps the greatest misunderstanding of the post-referendum debate. There is no end to this. It may well have continued to be a painful existence, politically speaking, for us to have remained. It will also continue to be a painful existence for us, politically speaking, if we leave. Except if we leave, we'll have the negative economic consequences to deal with too.

The Tories have been savvy with their "Get Brexit Done" slogan. They want people to think that if we leave, it'll be painful, but at least it'll all be over with. And the reality is nothing will be over with.

On a personal level, it impacts my family as my daughter did have ideas of spending some time living and working in France, which will no doubt e harder in the future if she wishes to. My employment is less secure, or could have been, as we rely on using native French, German, Italian, Spanish etc. but only have a UK office, so the costs are likely going to increase over time. I don;t see anything good for me on a personal level by being Out.
This is the part I must admit I understand the least. How can you say leaving the EU is best for all concerned when you know it'll only make things worse for you? It doesn't sound like it's best for you at all.

Last edited by GeneralPowerpoint; Nov 12th 2019 at 9:04 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Came to mind as it contained very disparate entities with in the end a remote and overbearing center.
You could say the same thing about the UK. Maybe it should disband too.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Remain then (never understood the need for it or the wild claims behind it)

even more remain now. What a giant shit-show con job it is.

A giant self-serving power grab, much worse than any Real ‘EU problem’

can only wish people make more informed and reasons votes going forward, Somehow I doubt that.