Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you could live anywhere in the world....

Wikiposts

If you could live anywhere in the world....

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could live anywhere in the world....

Not desperate to move anywhere.

Wouldn't mind a stint in southern America though, Paraguay, Uruguay, Panama, Chile, Argentina
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Small Heath or Alum Rock.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:39 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Small Heath or Alum Rock.
Hmm never heard of those places but all I'm getting is stories about drugs and terrorism?? I guess that's b'ham for you!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hmm never heard of those places but all I'm getting is stories about drugs and terrorism?? I guess that's b'ham for you!
Yeah, they're not the best. Oh how much my life has changed
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:13 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
+1.

Somewhere nice, not too far from London but not right in the city as well. One of the Home Counties, probably. F*** NI, too many pro-republican twunts there these days for my liking

If I were to limit my choice to the US - probably somewhere in the southwest. Arizona or California - if I could work myself up to being able to take the heat, of course.
You do not like republicans, but would like Arizona a red state?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:28 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
We are all supposed to be segregated, just live with our own kind?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:30 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Irish republicans, dear boy. IRA types.

I don't like the other kind either, but one can't seem to escape them here, even in so called blue states. Plenty of BE lefties seem to be able to live there just fine, though.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

+1.

If I were to limit my choice to the US - probably somewhere in the southwest. Arizona or California - if I could work myself up to being able to take the heat, of course.
I lived in AZ for 3 years. Tried to put a brave face on it for the first year, but after 2 had to admit that I friggin hated it. Mind you, that was Phoenix, perhaps it's not all that bad....
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Castlebay, Isle of Barra, Western Isles.....and learn to speak the local language.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
I lived in AZ for 3 years. Tried to put a brave face on it for the first year, but after 2 had to admit that I friggin hated it. Mind you, that was Phoenix, perhaps it's not all that bad....
I don't mind the heat too much in AZ - been here nearly 3 years now.

What I struggle with are perhaps minor...
1 - the staggeringly bad driving standards
2 - the level of self-absorption in a significant number of people here, which certainly doesn't help with #1

The GOP nut jobbery you can find most places.

In time I get used to #1 and 2 - gives me reason to bark at the moon, which I like to do frequently.

TV programming is sh1te - probably a generic thing.
The medical, political, financial, educational systems are utterly broken - not specific to AZ I am sure, though sometimes AZ seems to try harder to be more broken about them.

Being here is a career move. We don't plan to retire here - couldn't afford it.

Most other things I like. Most people I have regular interaction with here are just delightful, helpful, sincere, thoughtful, and all-round good eggs.

Oz, the small bits I have seen is nice. But I think for me & the Missus, the heart is back home in Blighty. The green, the rain, the family, the NHS, and decent tea!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:09 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Irish republicans, dear boy. IRA types.

I don't like the other kind either, but one can't seem to escape them here, even in so called blue states. Plenty of BE lefties seem to be able to live there just fine, though.
Rather a sweeping generalisation, in a land of two parties, dear boy.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:12 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Almost every day we see a new thread from someone in the UK who's desperate to move the US. Sometimes they've been here, sometimes they haven't. So it got me wondering..... does anyone who does live here feel desperate to move somewhere else? If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
The England I grew up in. As that halcyon land no longer exists, somewhere in sleepy south western France.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:15 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Rather a sweeping generalisation, in a land of two parties, dear boy.

I probably could have worded that better.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:29 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I probably could have worded that better.
Its OK to have the downers on 47%. That's official.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:32 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Its OK to have the downers on 47%. That's official.
Nice one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.