Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you';re flying BA tonight or Thurs-pack a lunch

If you';re flying BA tonight or Thurs-pack a lunch

Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you';re flying BA tonight or Thurs-pack a lunch

Update 2 from British Airways: Catering disruption
at London Heathrow

Industrial action at our Heathrow-based catering company, Gate Gourmet, continues to affect catering on our long haul services from London Heathrow today, and we expect this disruption will continue tomorrow, August 11th.

Due to logistics, mainly equipment loading and cleaning, this disruption will impact some departures from North America this evening and most flights between North America and Heathrow tomorrow. British Airways flights to Manchester and London Gatwick are not impacted.

While we intend to operate all scheduled flights; unfortunately we anticipate there will be no catering onboard except for a basic beverage service (water, tea, and coffee).

We are doing everything possible to look after our customers. We are working to ensure provisions are available at the airport prior to departure, and we are increasing the amount of food available in our lounges for premium passengers. However, at many airports, availability of adequate food is limited.

We ask your help in contacting your customers flying to and from London Heathrow and alerting them to the issue. Please advise them of the situation and encourage them to eat before they arrive at the airport. Travelers should also bring any necessary food with them, especially anything needed to accommodate special dietary requirements.

Regrettably, this is a situation beyond our control, but we hope that with advance notice, travelers can arrive better prepared for their flight. We sincerely apologize to those customers who will be affected
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:04 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: If you';re flying BA tonight or Thurs-pack a lunch

BA ought to dump Gate Gourmet and get back their old caterers - their brekkies were so much better...
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Gate Gourmet, they're probably striking because of the new anti-terror laws.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:33 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: If you';re flying BA tonight or Thurs-pack a lunch

I'm glad I wasn't flying as far as Australia yesterday after reading this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

Ooooh....I've just remembered that I've got a (wrapped) treacle tart in my handbag that I never got round to eating on my BA flight a few days ago....mmm will have it with a cup of tea later...

PS. When I was waiting to board my BA flight back to Newark, right next to the gate is a new, attractive lounge called "Holideck", where anyone flying out from Terminal 4 who can't use the BA Executive Club lounge can instead pay to relax and have free drinks, snacks, internet, kids games, family lounge, sports lounge, TV etc. If I'd known about it I probably would have gone there instead of spending too much money shopping airside instead! It costs 18 pounds and if your flight is delayed they can ask you to leave after 3 hours. There were leaflets in the terminal for a 2 pounds discount:

http://www.holideck.co.uk (They also operate Servisair lounges at the other terminals and most other UK airports and you can book online or just turn up and pay on the spot if they have space).
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:18 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

PS. When I was waiting to board my BA flight back to Newark, right next to the gate is a new, attractive lounge called "Holideck", where anyone flying out from Terminal 4 who can't use the BA Executive Club lounge can instead pay to relax and have free drinks, snacks, internet, kids games, family lounge, sports lounge, TV etc. If I'd known about it I probably would have gone there instead of spending too much money shopping airside instead! It costs 18 pounds and if your flight is delayed they can ask you to leave after 3 hours. There were leaflets in the terminal for a 2 pounds discount:

http://www.holideck.co.uk (They also operate Servisair lounges at the other terminals and most other UK airports and you can book online or just turn up and pay on the spot if they have space).[/QUOTE]

Would recommend this to anyone. I used to work in Terminal 4 and went in there to set up promotions for my store, it looks so relaxing! Well worth the money if you can't be bothered going round all the shops, also works out cheaper if you want a few drinks...the pubs are a rip off!

Going home in a few weeks and can't wait to see everyone I know in Terminal 4.

Hope you had a lovely trip BTW EMum.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Holideck sounds great! £18 sounded a bit steep at first, but if that includes drinks, that is a good deal.

Nothing similar at Terminal 3?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:50 pm

cbone is on a distinguished road

Looks like BA flights have been grounded from Heathrow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4142408.stm
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm glad I wasn't flying as far as Australia yesterday after reading this:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html

Ooooh....I've just remembered that I've got a (wrapped) treacle tart in my handbag that I never got round to eating on my BA flight a few days ago....mmm will have it with a cup of tea later...

http://www.holideck.co.uk (They also operate Servisair lounges at the other terminals and most other UK airports and you can book online or just turn up and pay on the spot if they have space).
Lol, we brought home 5 of those treacle tarts as well, delicious, did you get one of thse cheese and red onion sandwiches as well, nicest thing I've ever eaten on a plane..
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

looks like BA are up to their neck in the warm brown stuff - cancelled all Heathrow flights now and talks have broken down!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: If you';re flying BA tonight or Thurs-pack a lunch

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Holideck sounds great! £18 sounded a bit steep at first, but if that includes drinks, that is a good deal.

Nothing similar at Terminal 3?
Well, yes there is but I guess probably not quite as nice/luxurious as the Holideck and they are 1 pound cheaper than Holideck.....but at least you can still have free food, drink and newspapers/mags. You can book via the same link

http://www.holideck.co.uk or via
http://www.executivelounges.com and click on "choose a lounge".

There are Servisair lounges at the all other terminals at Heathrow (and around the UK); I once used the Servisair lounge at Birmingham airport but it was nowhere near as posh looking as the Holideck lounge at T4...I only managed to get a peek through the door though LOL!

The best lounge I've ever been in was the Virgin Clubhouse at Heathrow and it was fantastic; I had a pre-flight meal and cocktails, managed to get my hair trimmed (I hadn't booked beforehand but luckily they were able to fit me in and if I'd known about it I would have booked a massage as well LOL.....) and the kids used the free internet. There are showers too. All the amenities are free of charge (they even provided two limos to and from the airport, one for me and the kids and one for the luggage LOL!). Sadly I only ever get to fly business class when the company is relocating us on an international move and that's because you need the extra baggage allowance. I really loved Calle's idea of moving to the UK via the QM2 though......7 days on a luxury cruise liner, loads of food and entertainment and no jet lag....and only slightly more than the price of an economy ticket if you have a family-sized berth!

Yes, I guess if you use an executive lounge and have 2-3 drinks & snacks in peaceful surroundings it's well worth the money compared to what you would have to pay at the other bars and restaurant concessions.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
Lol, we brought home 5 of those treacle tarts as well, delicious, did you get one of thse cheese and red onion sandwiches as well, nicest thing I've ever eaten on a plane..
Ooooh, yes I did too - the 'double cheese and red onion sandwich'. It was soooo delicious, would love to know what they have in it so I could try and make one at home....maybe there was some sort of salad cream dressing in it? However, I can now imagine BA throwing in the towel with Gourmet Catering and trying to find another catering company the way things have gone today.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:54 pm

Thumbs down Re: If you';re flying BA tonight or Thurs-pack a lunch

Originally Posted by cbone
Looks like BA flights have been grounded from Heathrow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4142408.stm

OMG!!!!!!

I was at Newark airport today (I do voluntary work at International Arrivals on Thursdays) and was chatting to a friend who works on check-in at British Airways. She had the day off yesterday so I gave her the news about the catering fiasco as she hadn't heard about it....this was before the news about all flights from LHR being grounded. What a nightmare, I feel sorry for check-in staff when they have irate passengers to try to pacify and rebook.

I hope this dispute is sorted by the weekend....my husband is in Sri Lanka doing voluntary work, building homes for the Tsunami victims. He's due to fly with Air Lanka on Sunday (also affected by the Gate Gourmet strike), spend a night at an airport hotel at Heathrow and taking the first BA flight of the day on Monday morning back to Newark...somehow I'm not getting a good vibe about this.... :scared: .
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ooooh, yes I did too - the 'double cheese and red onion sandwich'. It was soooo delicious, would love to know what they have in it so I could try and make one at home....maybe there was some sort of salad cream dressing in it? However, I can now imagine BA throwing in the towel with Gourmet Catering and trying to find another catering company the way things have gone today.
I'm guessing its mixed with mayo but they are delicious, I was glad when my son didn't eat his..
I'm just glad I got home on Sunday, hope this doesn't go on too long, my daughters friends are here for a holiday and they fly back with BA, I'd hate to think they'd be stuck here..
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodsey
, hope this doesn't go on too long, my daughters friends are here for a holiday and they fly back with BA, I'd hate to think they'd be stuck here..

JESUS CHRIST !! I never thought of that :scared:
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:34 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
JESUS CHRIST !! I never thought of that :scared:

sorry....
there are a lot of malls out there, you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.