Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If there's one thing Yanks are good at its ....

If there's one thing Yanks are good at its ....

Old May 8th 2007, 3:46 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default If there's one thing Yanks are good at its ....

...offering value to consumers.
Yeah, so there'll always be people around to rip you off but there are also some blinding deals.
Take the airmiles credit card - 1 mile per dollar spent over here with some special offers offering even more miles.
Now look at the UK version...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6619023.stm

Amazing value being offered to UK consumers...
LLOYDS TSB SCHEME
Airmiles Duo: Offers one Amex card and one Mastercard
Amex card: One Airmile for every £10 spent
Mastercard: One Airmile for every £20 spent until 30 November, one Airmile for every £50 spent thereafter

NATWEST CHANGES
Airmiles scheme: One mile for £20 spent - ends from date of June statement
Airmiles Mastercard: Stops working altogether from 31 July
YourPoints scheme: Starts from 1 June on offer to existing Airmiles scheme members - costs £3 a month unless you spend at least £1,000 a month
Old May 8th 2007, 5:59 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If there's one thing Yanks are good at its ....

Yep, agree there. I wish there customer service would back it up... Here's a funny story...

In Sept 2006 I brought a FREE Sirius radio. It was free after the first 6 months assuming you signed up and paid for one year of programming.

The model that was free, that they sent was an old ugly model so I brought a newer slimmer type direct from Costco that netted out to be free as well.

I returned the first one to Sirius immediately.

Now, yesterday, exactly 6 months later, I get a letter from Sirius saying I owe them $149.99 which they've taken from my credit card because I didn't activate the first unit under the terms of their free offer !!

I call the number on the letter, only to be told after about 20 minutes of verification crap that I had to call the e-commerce number and no, they couldn't transfer me.

I called the new number and after 15 minutes they told me I had to call the first number again and no, they couldn't transfer me.

I got through to someone else at the first number and they asked me if I had a tracking number from 6 months earlier. Nope, of course I didn't. Well, without a tracking number how are "we supposed to know you sent it back".. Even me purchasing and acitivating the system from Costco wasn't enough proof (I have 2 sirius radios and definately do NOT need 3 !!!).

After a total of about an hour they said they would go look for the returned unit. I am to track down whomever I shipped it back with (bugger if I remember)..

Yep, I love good deals... Especially "free".. Good timing on the thread since I got the letter yesterday

God Bless...
Old May 8th 2007, 6:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yeah, so there'll always be people around to rip you off but there are also some blinding deals.
Yep. America has the best financial products in the world....but also some of the worse. Caveat emptor is a prerequisite for surviving over here.
Old May 8th 2007, 7:51 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Yep, agree there. I wish there customer service would back it up... Here's a funny story...

In Sept 2006 I brought a FREE Sirius radio. It was free after the first 6 months assuming you signed up and paid for one year of programming.

The model that was free, that they sent was an old ugly model so I brought a newer slimmer type direct from Costco that netted out to be free as well.

I returned the first one to Sirius immediately.

Now, yesterday, exactly 6 months later, I get a letter from Sirius saying I owe them $149.99 which they've taken from my credit card because I didn't activate the first unit under the terms of their free offer !!

I call the number on the letter, only to be told after about 20 minutes of verification crap that I had to call the e-commerce number and no, they couldn't transfer me.

I called the new number and after 15 minutes they told me I had to call the first number again and no, they couldn't transfer me.

I got through to someone else at the first number and they asked me if I had a tracking number from 6 months earlier. Nope, of course I didn't. Well, without a tracking number how are "we supposed to know you sent it back".. Even me purchasing and acitivating the system from Costco wasn't enough proof (I have 2 sirius radios and definately do NOT need 3 !!!).

After a total of about an hour they said they would go look for the returned unit. I am to track down whomever I shipped it back with (bugger if I remember)..

Yep, I love good deals... Especially "free".. Good timing on the thread since I got the letter yesterday

God Bless...
I generally steer clear of 'free' offers - there is always a catch attached, and you are always relying on someone doing their job correctly to make sure you don't get stung.
I'd contact my cc company if I were you.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:07 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

...offering value to consumers.
Take the airmiles credit card - 1 mile per dollar spent over here with some special offers offering even more miles.
Now look at the UK version...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6619023.stm

Amazing value being offered to UK consumers...
The thing to look out for are the opportunities where you double or even triple your frequent flyer air miles.... this happened years ago with Pan Am when they did their miles program; to drum up biz, they ran a month special where they would double your account's airmiles etc whenever you flew roundtrip with them during that month.... the brainiacks at Pan Am forgot that, as it turned out, you could also fly from San Fran to Oakland on Pan Am for next to nothing rntp back then.... so heaps of people would fly across the bay, and in doing so would double their mileage each time they hoped across the bay...Oops; it cost Pan Am a fortune.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

and you are always relying on someone doing their job correctly to make sure you don't get stung.
Isn't that the truth.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:38 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
The thing to look out for are the opportunities where you double or even triple your frequent flyer air miles.... this happened years ago with Pan Am when they did their miles program; to drum up biz, they ran a month special where they would double your account's airmiles etc whenever you flew roundtrip with them during that month.... the brainiacks at Pan Am forgot that, as it turned out, you could also fly from San Fran to Oakland on Pan Am for next to nothing rntp back then.... so heaps of people would fly across the bay, and in doing so would double their mileage each time they hoped across the bay...Oops; it cost Pan Am a fortune.
There was a similar deal a few years back in UK. Something to do with Curry's electrical store, vacuum cleaners and free BA flights. BA ended up getting stung.
Old May 8th 2007, 9:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I might be somwhat of a cynic but in my experience things that are truly free are only free because no one would pay for them. Companies are in business to make money and you can't make money giving things away for free.

But like I said, I always avoid the shortest line at the grocery store because there must be something wrong there.
Old May 8th 2007, 9:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I might be somwhat of a cynic but in my experience things that are truly free are only free because no one would pay for them. Companies are in business to make money and you can't make money giving things away for free.

But like I said, I always avoid the shortest line at the grocery store because there must be something wrong there.
In this case, it's to spread the user base because they make their money on subscriptions...it's why the PS3 is taking such a pounding, they want a massive user base, more users, more games will be developed on the platform equals more money from dev co's to get licenses to develop on them etc....that and dev boxes aren't cheap either.
Old May 8th 2007, 9:53 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

My saying is "nothing is free"... The thing with the Sirius was I was going to get one and sign up anyway so to me, it really was free

Buggers though. The fact the 3 different call centers of the same company could not transfer me leads me to believe they will never find my "returned" item. I will find proof of shipping eventually and nail the little tinkers !!
Old May 9th 2007, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
My saying is "nothing is free"... The thing with the Sirius was I was going to get one and sign up anyway so to me, it really was free

Buggers though. The fact the 3 different call centers of the same company could not transfer me leads me to believe they will never find my "returned" item. I will find proof of shipping eventually and nail the little tinkers !!
For future reference, I always get a return receipt for stuff like that. Then if they lose it, it's their problem.
Old May 9th 2007, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes..I was very surprised when we opened our account in Florida. Free checking, no charge for bank transfers from the account, no ATM fees and they pay me for using my debit card. Beats the crap out of Canadian banks.