British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   If not USA - Where? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/if-not-usa-where-282667/)

Sarah Feb 8th 2005 7:01 pm

If not USA - Where?

I'm making abit of an assumption here and I know it doesn't apply to everyone but most people here seem to have moved to the USA because of an American significant other.
If you HAD NOT have married an American and moved here, (or moved here for a job or any other reason) where in the world would you like to have lived? Would you have just stayed in Blighty or were you definintely into emigrating somewhere in the world and where would you have gone?

Manc Feb 8th 2005 7:04 pm

Re: If not USA - Where?

Originally Posted by SarahUK
I'm making abit of an assumption here and I know it doesn't apply to everyone but most people here seem to have moved to the USA because of an American significant other.
If you HAD NOT have married an American and moved here, (or moved here for a job or any other reason) where in the world would you like to have lived? Would you have just stayed in Blighty or were you definintely into emigrating somewhere in the world and where would you have gone?

I'd have stayed in Britain.

Lord Lionheart Feb 8th 2005 7:08 pm

I'd like to live in Paris if I had the money, so much to see and do, great architecture, public transport food and wine. Also, just a short trip back to Airstrip One.

psb182 Feb 8th 2005 7:08 pm

knowing what I know now or knowing what I knew them??????.......there is a big difference

jjmb Feb 8th 2005 7:30 pm

I would move to France or somewhere in Europe despite not knowing the language. My parents moved there (France) in 2001 and to be honest I never thought they would stay as they are londoners through and through. They absolutely love the life there and have no desire to move back any time soon. We also have friends who were transferred to France and again they are loving every minute of it.

callé Feb 8th 2005 7:30 pm

If it would have been up to me... I would have stayed in England.
My grandparents....my Cuz.... my home!!!

UJ_99 Feb 8th 2005 7:36 pm

I'd either have stayed in Britain, or moved to Canada. On my frequent trips there, it seems to combine the best of the US & UK

whistlestop01 Feb 8th 2005 7:43 pm

Stayed in England. I would never have moved away from my family otherwise. :)

anotherlimey Feb 8th 2005 7:43 pm

I would have loved to go to Austrailia, I have some family there.

-tom

RoB1833 Feb 8th 2005 8:06 pm

I would have stayed in the UK, might have considered moving to Scotland or Wales though.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 8th 2005 8:08 pm

I would have stayed in the UK, we intend returning at some point.

psb182 Feb 8th 2005 8:12 pm

there is a lot of "I would have stayed in the UK"........I will add my name to the list

tony126 Feb 8th 2005 8:12 pm

Stayed in the UK. Would have probably gone to France given the opportunity.

Sarah Feb 8th 2005 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by psb182
knowing what I know now or knowing what I knew them??????.......there is a big difference

umm...I suppose give your answer assuming that the person or reason that brought you to the states had never come into your life, ie, you'd never met your partner or never been offered a job over here.

fatbrit Feb 8th 2005 8:24 pm

Rio -- tentatively planned for around 2 to 3 years time.