Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If I were an American ..

If I were an American ..

Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default If I were an American ..

.. and my pharmacist had put the wrong pills in my repeat prescription bottle, what would I do??

I'm guessing I didn't act as he expected!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:24 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I were an American ..

Originally Posted by Mandana View Post
.. and my pharmacist had put the wrong pills in my repeat prescription bottle, what would I do??

So what did you do?!?

I'd have asked to talk to the store manager, and then asked for information on how to register a complaint with whatever official body licenses pharmacists.

He/she could have killed you!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:25 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

so how did you act then ?
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070 View Post
so how did you act then ?
I'm dying to know too.

Most Americans would not have been pleased I'd think.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Straight on the dog to Morgan and Morgan ...
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

LOL .. sorry, didn't mean to keep you in suspense!

I opened the bags when I got home (2 different prescriptions) and noticed straight away the 'small round peach tablets with [something] on one side' were indeed now 'large oval white bricks which need a pint of water and a pinched nose to swallow'

So I rang them immediately and spoke to the lovely girl who served me. She remembered me and my name without prompting (which is always nice) and put me through to the pharmacist.

He told me not to take any of them (which I wouldn't, of course) and apologised.

And this is where I think I went a bit wrong lol ...

I said 'don't worry, mistakes are easy to make. No harm done as I noticed they were different' and then agreed to take them back and swap them for the right ones.

Something in his tone made me think after I put the phone down that he might have been in need of a large nappy!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 12:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

LOL .. sorry, didn't mean to keep you in suspense!

I opened the bags when I got home (2 different prescriptions) and noticed straight away the 'small round peach tablets with [something] on one side' were indeed now 'large oval white bricks which need a pint of water and a pinched nose to swallow'

So I rang them immediately and spoke to the lovely girl who served me. She remembered me and my name without prompting (which is always nice) and put me through to the pharmacist.

He told me not to take any of them (which I wouldn't, of course) and apologised.

And this is where I think I went a bit wrong lol ...

I said 'don't worry, mistakes are easy to make. No harm done as I noticed they were different' and then agreed to take them back and swap them for the right ones.

Something in his tone made me think after I put the phone down that he might have been in need of a large nappy!
You just threw away a minimum $5000
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
You just threw away a minimum $5000
Ah, well I'm clearly not seasoned yet! I've only been here 6 months!

But, as I said to my H after I put the phone down ... I didn't take any, so I've not got a case, surely?
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, well I'm clearly not seasoned yet! I've only been here 6 months!

But, as I said to my H after I put the phone down ... I didn't take any, so I've not got a case, surely?
I wouldn't think you would have a case.

You came to no harm.

Contrary to what folks thing from reading the press, getting a malpractice judgement is not always easy, even if you have been harmed.

However... I bet the guy about had a heart attack - he COULD have a problem with his license from that one - at least get disciplined I'd imagine.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:10 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Tracym View Post
I wouldn't think you would have a case.

You came to no harm.

Contrary to what folks thing from reading the press, getting a malpractice judgement is not always easy, even if you have been harmed.

However... I bet the guy about had a heart attack - he COULD have a problem with his license from that one - at least get disciplined I'd imagine.
The company would have paid out to avoid anything ...
ask for vouchers on your return ...
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well after my initial 'nicey nicey' on the phone, it then sunk in just how serious that could have been.

What if I'd just thought 'oh, the pills have changed' .. or not thought at all and taken them?

I know I didn't, and I don't necessarily want to get the bloke into trouble, but at the same time, this could have been really serious.

WWYD?
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Although I don't practise as one, I'm a pharmacist and I can tell you that was a serious error.

I would:

1: Write a letter of complaint to the owner/manager of the pharmacy.

2: Same letter to head office if it's a chain.

3: Same letter to your state's Board of Pharmacy (whatever the licensing body is called there).

4: Follow up.

Don't make phone calls, contact everyone in writing. The paper trail is important. Maybe it's the pharmacist's first error. Maybe it's his tenth... the state board wants the information, and they will investigate.

Don't use hostile, accusatory language. Don't threaten to sue. You can always do that later if they simply ignore you. Outline the facts, including the description of the incorrect medication as best you remember it.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
The company would have paid out to avoid anything ...
ask for vouchers on your return ...
Could be true - they might have settled. But... I twas told that often you have to file a suit, and they don't settle until the last minute before trial. And the possible amount is way too low for any lawyer to bother. So I'm still not sure the OP would get any money. But who knows....

Originally Posted by Bill_S View Post
Although I don't practise as one, I'm a pharmacist and I can tell you that was a serious error.

I would:

3: Same letter to your state's Board of Pharmacy (whatever the licensing body is called there).

Don't make phone calls, contact everyone in writing. The paper trail is important. Maybe it's the pharmacist's first error. Maybe it's his tenth... the state board wants the information, and they will investigate.

Don't use hostile, accusatory language. Don't threaten to sue. You can always do that later if they simply ignore you. Outline the facts, including the description of the incorrect medication as best you remember it.
That is a pretty big error, I agree with you. And you make a very good point, who knows how many other errors have occurred.

The Department of Professional Regulation for the state is who I believe issues licenses for pharmacists. That's where I'd start.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill_S View Post

I would:

Well this is true .. it did occur to me that this could have been a little old lady who didn't read the label where it states what the pills look like, and ended up taking them with disastrous consequences.

It was a chain - one of the big ones. If I do write, I won't be hostile, but will state the facts as were.

Should I take them back or keep hold of? Obviously I need the right ones - especially as I'm going back to the UK and will run out while I'm there if I don't get them
Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well this is true .. it did occur to me that this could have been a little old lady who didn't read the label where it states what the pills look like, and ended up taking them with disastrous consequences.

It was a chain - one of the big ones. If I do write, I won't be hostile, but will state the facts as were.

Should I take them back or keep hold of? Obviously I need the right ones - especially as I'm going back to the UK and will run out while I'm there if I don't get them
Hmmm.... I think I'd take a pic of what you got (with the bottle) - then take them back.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.