Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Identity Fraud

Identity Fraud

Old May 15th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identity Fraud

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't know why the US hasn't adopted that method yet.
My hubby had read something online a while back saying that the fraud costs are less than the conversion to chip and pin.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

We had our credit card info stolen all costs where covered just unsettling though.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:56 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
We had our credit card info stolen all costs where covered just unsettling though.
We were not charged anything for the fraud. We did have out of pocket expenses as a result of the fraud (recorded letters, time, phone calls, letter writing, postage, copy charges, etc).

http://credit.about.com/od/usingcred...redit-card.htm

"....you could be liable for up to $50 if the thief uses your stolen credit card before you report the theft."

"If you report the missing debit card within two days, your maximum liability will be $50. However, after two days, you could be liable for up to $500. And if 60 days goes by before you report the card missing, you could be on the hook for everything."
Old May 16th 2012, 7:16 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I had the name of the person I spoke to and raised quite a stink about it at the bank. I got the money refunded and they did have a record of the time I called but I was so furious
Has anyone had the reverse happen to them when you are in a store overseas and your credit card company has put a lock on your card? This has happened to me twice on my rare visits to England. One time I had bought a lot of jewelry, the proprietor came to charge it and was told the card was locked. This was Citibank's so-called protection because it saw an overseas charge on my card. I felt like the biggest fool in the store, like a criminal almost, but I was able to track someone down at the bank in the States and have them lift the lock. The thing to do, apparently, is to inform the bank in advance if you are traveling overseas and will be making large purchases.
Old May 16th 2012, 8:28 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
Has anyone had the reverse happen to them when you are in a store overseas and your credit card company has put a lock on your card? This has happened to me twice on my rare visits to England. One time I had bought a lot of jewelry, the proprietor came to charge it and was told the card was locked. This was Citibank's so-called protection because it saw an overseas charge on my card. I felt like the biggest fool in the store, like a criminal almost, but I was able to track someone down at the bank in the States and have them lift the lock. The thing to do, apparently, is to inform the bank in advance if you are traveling overseas and will be making large purchases.
I had it happen to me in Louisiana once (I live in the Independent Republic of Texas, so yes, Louisiana is overseas) - credit card locked by the bank at a restuarant. Fortunately I had the wife with me, so she could do the washing up.

A few weeks later I was in Beijing, China (also overseas) and used it all over the place and never had a problem. Go figure.....
Old May 16th 2012, 9:00 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Fortunately I had the wife with me, so she could do the washing up.
Who bussed the tables?
Old May 17th 2012, 1:38 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Kohls just called my wife to ask why she hadn't paid her bill. Another card they used, this one at the end of March. Same MO, quoted drivers license and spent $500 in California