Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Identifying business 'prospects'

Identifying business 'prospects'

Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Identifying business 'prospects'

Having obtained my EAD at long last (hurray!!), I want to start my own consultancy business.

I have searched the net and come up with a long list of companies that might 'need' my services. The problem is that none of them list any individuals, or even specific departments.

I'm sure it is completely pointless to send anything to HR, so I need to identify those individuals who would actually buy my services.

Question: does anyone have any experience of identifying these elusive individuals - what's the best way of getting around this problem? I fear that if I explain what I want to some clueless receptionist I'll end up being transferred to the wrong department, or someone really junior.

Are there any 'tricks' forgetting through the telephone maze and actually getting to speak to the right person?

This may seem like a pretty basic question, but when I was running a similar business in the UK I was always able to rely on referrals and word-of-mouth, so I've never actually had to 'market' myself before.

Also, if anyone could recommend any really useful books for someone starting a consultancy business in the US, I would be grateful!

Finally: in purely legal (or tax implications) terms, what's the best way of running a one-woman business in the US? In the UK I was simply self-employed, but I get the impression that things are a little more complicated here...

TIA

Elvira
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identifying business 'prospects'

Hi Elvira,

I'm wondering if self-employment laws are different from state to state, and also it depends what kind of business it is...and whether you work from home or not, etc.

My alien husband is self-employed as a contract worker doing rug repair. Here in Phoenix, he does not need a business license to do contract work. He has no employees, so no need for the extras involved like workman's comp, etc. We just keep meticulous records of his earnings and expenses, and then at tax time our accountant fills out a Schedule C (for self-employed peeps). Because the need for his type of work isn't popular in Phoenix, he's been working in Los Angeles with no problems, either. I think you'll find being self-employed easier than you think.

As for making the contacts, just be persistent, patient, and very polite on the phone. I'm a receptionist, and when folks like yourself call in, I do my best to find the right person they need to talk to...or at least give them the name of the person to send something via regular mail. Now once it gets in the hands of that individual...who knows?

The good news is that the expenses you incur in doing your job searching (i.e., brocures, mailings, long distance calls, travel, etc.) are tax deductable.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 1st 2005 at 9:49 pm. Reason: added paragraph
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Find the name of the CEO/partners/whatever from public records. I find email works well: see if you can find the email address of anyone in the company, then note how they put together their emails - jsmith or johns or [email protected]. Fire away.

Use your inherent Englishness in your approaches be it letters, advertising or just voice -- emphasize it. Our different style is often just what it takes to be seen above the other chaff.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 11:04 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like some networking might be of use in order to "learn" how to market yourself and also how to find clients.

Some research on the web might yield local chapters of the professional association/organization that represents your field of work. Also, Meetup.com may have a group in your locality that represents your field.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 1st 2005, 11:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene and 'Fatbrit' for your help. I really must start spreading my karma around so I can give to you guys again!

I was wondering about emphasising my Englishness too, but I have heard that it can work against one. Also, I don't want to give the impression of having just stepped off the boat!

Then, of course, there's the issue of my enforced idleness these past 4 years...

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to jump in at some point!
Old Jun 1st 2005, 11:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of asking your old contacts if they know contacts in the US?
Just a thought...good luck
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:29 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Bob
Any chance of asking your old contacts if they know contacts in the US?
Just a thought...good luck
You mean do they know any of their US competitors?

I did have a few 'leads' when I moved here 4 years ago. Never thought it would take this long to get my work permit. When I tried them recently I got wrong numbers or voicemails of different people.

Nobody seems to stay in the same job for very long these days, so leads grow cold very quickly!

But thanks, Bob! How are you getting on with your job search BTW?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

Like a sack of poo, branching even further off the chosen path myself, nothing came of that interview in lawrence, they decided to scale back there exapantion to just hire one person, but it'd be considered in the future...oh well *l*
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:41 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Sounds like some networking might be of use in order to "learn" how to market yourself and also how to find clients.

Some research on the web might yield local chapters of the professional association/organization that represents your field of work. Also, Meetup.com may have a group in your locality that represents your field.

NC Penguin

Great advice. Hubby goes to a breakfast meet once a week, with folk from diverse businesses represented. Call your local chamber of commerce, they will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Business in the US is all about networking and word-of-mouth, more so than anywhere else I've lived.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:12 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
Hi Penguin - I only saw you post this morning (we posted at the same time yesterday and I never scrolled up...)

I agree that networking is what it is all about. Unfortunately my line of work is highly specialized - plus they're all on the East Coast There is one yearly meeting that a lot of these companies attend, but the fees for attending are a couple of grand, plus flights and accommodation :scared: I think I'll try individual contacts first...

Elvira
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I agree that networking is what it is all about. Unfortunately my line of work is highly specialized - plus they're all on the East Coast There is one yearly meeting that a lot of these companies attend, but the fees for attending are a couple of grand, plus flights and accommodation :scared:...
That I can relate too....but the meets are on the west coast *lol* Well one is, another in Japan, and the third big meet in London...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

You mean do they know any of their US competitors?

I did have a few 'leads' when I moved here 4 years ago. Never thought it would take this long to get my work permit. When I tried them recently I got wrong numbers or voicemails of different people.

Nobody seems to stay in the same job for very long these days, so leads grow cold very quickly!

Gosh 4 years is a long time to entertain yourself in. I had to wait 2 years for my EAD and I thought that was bad enough. What have you been doing with yourself to fill the time?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

You say about the importance of getting to speak to the right person. I have the same problem because I buy surplus network harware from companies like ISP's, Data centres and Banks. So it can be frustrating trying to explain to the receptionist who I want to speak to especially for companies that dont have anyone specific that deals with excess stock. To be fair on the whole the receptionist will do their best, there are some that will put you through to the first general dept or not put you through at all. In view of this my husband came up with an idea of asking for the accounts receivable dept that way you will always get put through and then when someone answers the phone apologise and tell them you have been put through to the wrong dept and then engage them in conversation about who in their company does what. I've never tried it myself but it was a theory he had.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:03 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Gosh 4 years is a long time to entertain yourself in. I had to wait 2 years for my EAD and I thought that was bad enough. What have you been doing with yourself to fill the time?
You have to realise that I had no idea that it would take this long (having been told by my DH's employer that it would only take 'a few months' ) If I had known, I could have done something useful, like do an MA or whatever.

I learned un puoco Italian, became interested in late Middle Age and renaissance art, did a bit of (abstract ) painting myself, listened to a lot of opera , became a lady who lunches, went back to England whenever I could think of an excuse...

Not sure where all this time has gone actually...

Elvira
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:06 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by ladylisa
In view of this my husband came up with an idea of asking for the accounts receivable dept that way you will always get put through and then when someone answers the phone apologise and tell them you have been put through to the wrong dept and then engage them in conversation about who in their company does what. I've never tried it myself but it was a theory he had.
Hey,thanks for the tip - that's a good idea!

Actually, I use a similar trick myself if I need to get service or complain or whatever: I ask to be put through to Sales (or choose that option from the Menu). It's amazing how much more quickly one gets to speak to a real person!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.