Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Idea's of what to do for 2 and a half days in LA?

Idea's of what to do for 2 and a half days in LA?

Old Dec 10th 2006, 11:44 pm
Banned

Pickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to behold
Default Idea's of what to do for 2 and a half days in LA?

Need a few idea's from those of you who are familiar with LA. The wife and I will be there for 2 and a half days in February prior to boarding a cruise and would like a few idea's of what to do while we are there? We want to cram as much as possible in as we can rest once we get on the boat?

I would really like to see Compton/Watts etc. but only on a guided tour if there are such things?
Wife would like to see all the film stuff that is out there?

So any idea's? Any great places to eat in the evening? Any hotel recomendations which are close to the action, will I need are car or can I get around on public transport?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:20 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Idea's of what to do for 2 and a half days in LA?

Originally Posted by Pickles
................................. will I need are car or can I get around on public transport?
ROLMAO

Seriously?...........Disneyland.

Better than the Florida behemoth.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:24 am
Banned

Pickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gardnma
ROLMAO

Seriously?...........Disneyland.

Better than the Florida behemoth.
Really have no desire to do the Disenyland thing to be honest.

So I will need a car?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a big place, you will definitely need a car. All the film stuff is a bit vague, you could easily go to the walk of fame/Mann's Theatre and Univeral Studio tour, if she is a more serious film buff she might want to seek out specific studios. Where will you be staying?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I would really like to see Compton/Watts etc....
are you mad?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
are you mad?
No I'm just really interested in that after the riot's and films about the places. I thought about hiring a car and driving around there myself but would like to go on a tour with a guide who could be a bit more knowlageable about the area.

Do you think I am being a little too unrealistic? I would like to see the city by bus or train as I did in NYC and just hop on and off as I please, is there not a public transport system at all there? How do people without cars get around?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:41 am
Account Closed

No I'm just really interested in that after the riot's and films about the places. I thought about hiring a car and driving around there myself but would like to go on a tour with a guide who could be a bit more knowlageable about the area.

Do you think I am being a little too unrealistic? I would like to see the city by bus or train as I did in NYC and just hop on and off as I please, is there not a public transport system at all there? How do people without cars get around?
Why not borrow a library book on the town?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally
Why not borrow a library book on the town?
I will be heading to the library this week and plan to pick up a few books, just thought I would get a few idea's from people who have been there or who live there.

I'm sorry if your offended by this request.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:43 am
Account Closed

I will be heading to the library this week and plan to pick up a few books, just thought I would get a few idea's from people who have been there or who live there.

I'm sorry if your offended by this request.
I'm not offended but you don't seem to have first clue about the place.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get lost, and then car jacked

Seriously, it's a hole and you won't find a nice walking guide like you would a tea party guide of Boston.

As for public transport, over there, reserved for homeless, on the verge of homeless, and drunkards who have lost their license and actually paid attention....people don't chose to use public transport....
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally
you don't seem to have first clue about the place.
Hence the questions in the thread.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Need a few idea's from those of you who are familiar with LA. The wife and I will be there for 2 and a half days in February prior to boarding a cruise and would like a few idea's of what to do while we are there? We want to cram as much as possible in as we can rest once we get on the boat?

I would really like to see Compton/Watts etc. but only on a guided tour if there are such things?
Wife would like to see all the film stuff that is out there?

So any idea's? Any great places to eat in the evening? Any hotel recomendations which are close to the action, will I need are car or can I get around on public transport?

Thanks in advance for your help!
You'd like a tour of Compton/Watts? :scared: :scared: The only "guided" ones are with the police, I'm sure.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:10 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I recently visited NYC and spent most of the time on foot however Los Angeles was probably the city that they invented the term urban sprawl for, you really need a car as you will waste a lot of time relying on public transport. I am biased however if I were you I would stay on the Westside near beaches which is also close to the airport and major freeways such as the 10, 405, 5 etc. I would probably recommend the Marina Del Rey hotel
http://www.marinadelreyhotel.com/

as it has reasonable rates.
Usually most people want to see Rodeo Drive ( Beverly Hills), Malibu ( some nice beaches along Pacific Coast Highway), Santa Monica, Universal Studios, Disneyland, Sunset Strip/Hollywood and some places downtown such as Olvera street, Disney concert Hall, the new cathedral and some interesting shopping areas for cheap clothes, toys.
Griffith Observatory and Griffith park offer great vies of LA and the location where Rebel without a cause was shot in addition to equestrian facilities
As far as movie stars there is Hollywood Forever cemetery and Manns Chinese theater in addition to the various star maps guides to celebrities homes along Sunset Blvd and Hollywood. There is also the Getty museum, LACMA and La Brea tar pits if you like art and natural history.
Catalina Island is a short boat ride from Marina Del Rey. If you visit LA from Nov - April there is snow skiing at Mountain High and Snow Summit which is an hours drive from the city. Wine tasting is available in Santa Barbara which is 2 hours drive from LA.
If I were you I would spend little to no time in Watts unless you are interested in the Watts towers which would probably take an hour with probably 2 hours total travelling time, I doubt there are tour guides of Watts just as there are no tour guides of Moss side, Handsworth and Brixton in the UK, but you could pursue it in a car if you really want to. I would look up the bold highlighted areas to start, in addition to the beaches, shopping and restaurants this should be more than enough to keep you busy for a couple of day.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Have been out there on business and pleasure several times. Suggestions rent a car, drive up the Pacific Coast Highway thru' Malibu. Beautiful coast and scenery all the way. Travel to Santa Barbara ( 90 miles up the coast from LA). Stop in Solvang and Ojai along the way. If you want to do the Hollywood tourist thing take a tour of the Hills and stars homes. Hollywood Blvd is a waste of time but will lead to Santa Monica and the famous Pier. You should visit Rodeo Drive for shopping - keep an eye out for celebs. This is Beverly Hills - Westwood also nearby. Eat and drink on La Cienega, Melrose - check Zagat guide. Universal is a fun tour esp. the Jaws movie set. If you go south I would include Newport Beach and Balboa Island, Laguna Beach. San Diego only 100 miles south or so. Go to the track at Del Mar if they're running ( Horses). Also see La Jolla if you get that way, Cardiff by the Sea ( classic CA beach bums place). Other beach bum places - Manhattan Bch, Hermosa Bch, Venice Beach ( best outdoor freak show). Give a miss to Downtown LA and stay west of the PCH for best places, best safety etc. Weather will be good. Sweater/light jacket for evenings.Good hotel strip I used to stay at near Comedy Store on Santa Monica Blvd . Mostly smaller franchises - Comfort Inn etc. Don't stay near Manns Chinese Theater - the hookers and their pimps are back and forth 24/7. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I recently visited NYC and spent most of the time on foot however Los Angeles was probably the city that they invented the term urban sprawl for, you really need a car as you will waste a lot of time relying on public transport. I am biased however if I were you I would stay on the Westside near beaches which is also close to the airport and major freeways such as the 10, 405, 5 etc. I would probably recommend the Marina Del Rey hotel
http://www.marinadelreyhotel.com/

as it has reasonable rates.
Usually most people want to see Rodeo Drive ( Beverly Hills), Malibu ( some nice beaches along Pacific Coast Highway), Santa Monica, Universal Studios, Disneyland, Sunset Strip/Hollywood and some places downtown such as Olvera street, Disney concert Hall, the new cathedral and some interesting shopping areas for cheap clothes, toys.
Griffith Observatory and Griffith park offer great vies of LA and the location where Rebel without a cause was shot in addition to equestrian facilities
As far as movie stars there is Hollywood Forever cemetery and Manns Chinese theater in addition to the various star maps guides to celebrities homes along Sunset Blvd and Hollywood. There is also the Getty museum, LACMA and La Brea tar pits if you like art and natural history.
Catalina Island is a short boat ride from Marina Del Rey. If you visit LA from Nov - April there is snow skiing at Mountain High and Snow Summit which is an hours drive from the city. Wine tasting is available in Santa Barbara which is 2 hours drive from LA.
If I were you I would spend little to no time in Watts unless you are interested in the Watts towers which would probably take an hour with probably 2 hours total travelling time, I doubt there are tour guides of Watts just as there are no tour guides of Moss side, Handsworth and Brixton in the UK, but you could pursue it in a car if you really want to. I would look up the bold highlighted areas to start, in addition to the beaches, shopping and restaurants this should be more than enough to keep you busy for a couple of day.
Been to most of the above and would also recommend them. Also Queen Mary and Spruce Goose located at Long Beach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.