Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The icing on the cake

The icing on the cake

Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:08 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default The icing on the cake

Is it just me or are all American cakes sickly sweet, bright green / orange / blue and really totally unappetising?

I have vague, fond memories of being able to order a birthday cake in the UK which had subtle, pretty decorations and looked like you could eat the entire thing and not stop for water. Over here, I see St. Patrick's Day cakes in bright green, Easter chicks which are pure sugar and everything else is covered in gooey, sickly cack. Is it just me?

By the way, I have to add that I adore the cheesecake
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The icing on the cake

Originally Posted by Wintersong
.... Is it just me? ....
No, it's not just you; ... and yet bizarrely my (USC) wife did nothing but complain about how sickly-sweet British cakes and desserts were when we lived there.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The icing on the cake

I haven't done sweets too much when I've been in the UK, however say the word cream tea and I'm there!! Have had a pudding or two that was good as well.
I am appalled at the heavy hand with the bizarre and florescent food coloring we use here in the US in the supermarket bakeries. Not appetizing to me at all!