Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IAS v getting the car I'd really like

IAS v getting the car I'd really like

Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IAS v getting the car I'd really like

I think a crossover is a more accurate term IMO, it's not an SUV, but it's not a car either.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I think a crossover is a more accurate term IMO, .....
CUV (crossover utility vehicle) .... but aside from ride height and styling, a CUV is pretty much indistinguishable from a minivan (people carrier) from a structure/ mechanical/ engineering view point.
Originally Posted by Chesten
.... Was just thinking that what we think of as an SUV is often termed a crossover here. But maybe that's a technicality? ....
Until around 8-10 years ago an SUV was an estate car body bolted to a truck chassis (a big ol' hunk of steel frame). Now only the largest SUVS have a chassis, and CUVs are made from a self-supporting rigid steel box without a chassis, like most cars have been since the 1960's. However to distinguish a 4×4 from a minivan people still commonly refer to SUVs, and I don't recall ever hearing someone refer to their vehicle as a "crossover" or "CUV".

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 24th 2017 at 12:40 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesten
I miss the country pubs sooo much, especially beer gardens (with kids playgrounds).
Oh dear. I think that might be one of hubby's favourite things about being here in the summer. You know, those warm summer days outside in the beer garden with a cold pint of cider. Thankfully my kids are too old too need a playground. That said, it didn't stop them a couple of weeks ago. I ran the White Horse Half marathon, it was the hottest day of the year so far at a toasty 24 degrees. Two of us went with our family's to the The Fox at Denchworth afterwards. I had gulped two pints of ice cold Thatchers Gold before food was on the table. The kids played on the swings.
That was a good afternoon. Sitting outside amongst the bright green of spring sunshine...
Old Apr 24th 2017, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Oh dear. I think that might be one of hubby's favourite things about being here in the summer. You know, those warm summer days outside in the beer garden with a cold pint of cider. Thankfully my kids are too old too need a playground. That said, it didn't stop them a couple of weeks ago. I ran the White Horse Half marathon, it was the hottest day of the year so far at a toasty 24 degrees. Two of us went with our family's to the The Fox at Denchworth afterwards. I had gulped two pints of ice cold Thatchers Gold before food was on the table. The kids played on the swings.
That was a good afternoon. Sitting outside amongst the bright green of spring sunshine...
Congrats on the half marathon. Hats off to you.

Now I haven't (yet) travelled very widely here so can only speak to what I've seen locally. Which is nothing remotely comparable to a country pub. But lots of outdoors opportunities. Green spaces and playgrounds here have picnic tables and grills, you just have to be organised and bring what you fancy. Also, and what I'd never seen before, people bring hammocks and string them up between trees. Looks very relaxing.

Re car types etc I'm loving all the info and learning more each day.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

I dread the thought of trying to squeeze a big car into squeezed car parks. Speaking from someone who drives a Hyundai hatch that I can turn on a penny, gleefully squeeze into spots that I've seen bigger cars have to drive past, and can be snappy on the countless roundabouts on my daily commute. ...

I think I need to try out an Explorer when we visit.
I drive a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport. Had to decide on a new car within 4 hours, because old one gave up and I needed something asap. I never regretted the purchase even one second.

It drives like a car, with all the features like cameras, parking sensors, blind spot monitor, etc. I feel better parking my Explorer than my hubby's Kia Optima. The parking lots are big enough for comfort, on top of that my hubby is surprised every single time how small the turn radius is with my Explorer.

I don't need the space it offers me (only dog, hubby and me and some visitors from time to time), but it comes in plenty handy to transport trees/building material (we are huge on DIY).

The Explorer is a vehicle made for me and I would buy it anytime again. It's not the most gas saving one, but you can find negatives in everything.

If you have any questions, just let me know
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Geckz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glowie
I drive a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport.

I never regretted the purchase even one second.

The Explorer is a vehicle made for me and I would buy it anytime again.

It's not the most gas saving one, but you can find negatives in everything.
Yes. Just Yes.

We have a Ford Explorer sport also. Best car ever.

The wife and I have been though many cars and this one, without a doubt has been our favourite ever.

It's roomy, fits 6 adults (we have the airline seating in the back 2+2+2) and can even fit an american king mattress inside!

Drives like a car, makes a good noise, lots of presence on the road.

Ok yeah it's a bit thirsty but when you are filling at US prices.....
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Okay Peeps, you're doing a really good job for the Explorer here

Tell me, how did you decide between a Platinum or Sport?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Wait they do other models?

Sport looks better

But in all seriousness kinda depends on your budget and what toys you want. There was a white sport at the dealership with the airline rear seats, moonroof etc etc - it was top spec but they hadn't moved it for a while so we got a good discount off list.

We also looked at IAS but we a) found it much more expensive than local NJ leases and b) really limited range.

We did drive round dealerships a bit - I would say around 60% knew about expats and would finance with Letter of employment and various bank account proofs. As long as you talk to a sales manager rather than one of the hustlers - it's quick to get a reply.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

And buying a car can be really quick here.

I just got a RAM 1500 night edition last week. Wandered into the dealership at 9:30 was driving it home by lunchtime
Old Apr 27th 2017, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

Okay Peeps, you're doing a really good job for the Explorer here

Tell me, how did you decide between a Platinum or Sport?
Interior and looks for me.
I didn't want anything with wood trim, but I wanted heated AND cooled front seats.
Black on black (so mine is black ) just has something classy. The Platinum's door handles and exterior trim pieces (mirror housing, "explorer strip" on the trunk) are not in body color, but chrome/platinum looking.
The Sport has these trim pieces in the same black as the body color, so if you chose black, everything just fits.

Also, the Sport has the sport suspension, which is different to the Platinum or other model levels of the Explorer.

@Geckz: yes, I have the 2+2+2 seating as well, but opted out of the middle console for the second row, to give "walking" room to get to the third if necessary.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 1:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geckz
And buying a car can be really quick here.

I just got a RAM 1500 night edition last week. Wandered into the dealership at 9:30 was driving it home by lunchtime
I don't even go to a dealership without a price agreed via email. The day that I take it home is the day that I test drive it!
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glowie
Interior and looks for me.

Also, the Sport has the sport suspension, which is different to the Platinum or other model levels of the Explorer.

Ooh now sport suspension. Is that a bit more rigid? My Dad used to have an old Range Rover, I hated the blinkin' thing. Made me feel sick in the back. The only car I've ever felt car sick in.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh now sport suspension. Is that a bit more rigid? My Dad used to have an old Range Rover, I hated the blinkin' thing. Made me feel sick in the back. The only car I've ever felt car sick in.
I don't think it's really the same thing - I would never pass up an opportunity to get a firmer suspension in a US made vehicle, unless perhaps it is Corvette or a Mustang. I got heavy duty suspension in my truck when I ordered it, and it handles like a giant rollerskate.

For many Americans the "perfect car" would comprise an oversize sofa with air-ride suspension and balloon tires. I drove a rented Lincoln Town Car once, and way that it wafted down the road was enough to make even me feel nauseous. It was the nastiest, vaguest car I have ever driven. There was absolutely zero feedback to the steering wheel from the tires, and it appeared to have been deliberately designed that way!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 27th 2017 at 5:31 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't think it's really the same thing - I would never pass up an opportunity to get a firmer suspension in a US made vehicle, unless perhaps it is Corvette or a Mustang. I got heavy duty suspension in my truck when I ordered it, and it handles like a giant rollerskate.

For many Americans the "perfect car" would comprise an oversize sofa with air-ride suspension and balloon tires. I drove a rented Lincoln Town Car once, and way that it wafted down the road was enough to make even me feel nauseous. It was the nastiest, vaguest car I have ever driven. There was absolutely zero feedback to the steering wheel from the tires, and it appeared to have been designed that way!
And that descibes exactly what I hate about big cars. I'd definitely prefer a firmer suspension. Yet another thing I may have to do my best to persuade Mr Jazz (sigh)
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

And that descibes exactly what I hate about big cars. I'd definitely prefer a firmer suspension. Yet another thing I may have to do my best to persuade Mr Jazz (sigh)
Pulaski described it perfectly. It is firmer, driving corners/curves is more direct than with the other suspension.

Actually, it's funny you mention it, but I get car sick in every other car but mine, if I don't look out of the window. So if I read/text, etc. while someone else is driving, I get car sick. If I'm the passenger in my car, that never happens. Obviously, people are different, but just an FYI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.