Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IAS v getting the car I'd really like

IAS v getting the car I'd really like

Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IAS v getting the car I'd really like

And I like this article

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...le-female-test
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
I dread the thought of trying to squeeze a big car into squeezed car parks.
Parking spaces are generally substantially larger here than UK parking spaces so it's less of an issue.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I dread the thought of trying to squeeze a big car into squeezed car parks. ....
Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Parking spaces are generally substantially larger here than UK parking spaces so it's less of an issue.
Agreed, and as I said above, the Explorer is only 8" longer than a Honda Accord, so the Explorer really isn't remarkably big anyway.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I dread the thought of trying to squeeze a big car into squeezed car parks.
Not a problem, honestly, parking lots in the USA are large and have generous sized spaces compared to the UK. They rarely get full (Black Friday?), and if you can reverse park into spaces you will blow everyone's minds!

I totally understand your mind boggling trying to wrap your head around brands and models. That is why I ended up with a Mini Cooper as that is what I had in the UK and I happened to live near my city's Mini dealership and it was one less decision to make. It was totally fab being able to nip in and out of places, and I got lots of comments on my "cute" car, and the petrol economy was great. However, I wouldn't do it again as in winter I felt very vulnerable compared to all the pick-up trucks and SUVs driving badly, due to the relative size of vehicles. Plus the roads weren't in great shape and my spine felt every single bump and pot-hole in Virginia.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If I can sling my Ford F150 Supercrew with a 6.5ft bed (total of 20ft long and 6.7ft wide) into 'tight' spaces in malls then there really is no problem!!

I felt very vulnerable compared to all the pick-up trucks and SUVs driving badly, due to the relative size of vehicles.
This is a very good point, you will learn quickly that a substantial number of people (me included) drive pick up trucks or large SUVs even if they have no real need for them. I hardly ever tow, but the thing is built to take a hit.

Last year I had an accident and totaled the BMW that hit me at 5mph as I was pulling out of work. Broke their rear axle and bent the frame. My truck required a buff to get their paint out of the chrome. Nothing more.

Smaller cars are death traps if you're hit by 2.5 ton of metal.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 24th 2017 at 10:29 am.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
and if you can reverse park into spaces you will blow everyone's minds!

I totally understand your mind boggling trying to wrap your head around brands and models. That is why I ended up with a Mini Cooper as that is what I had in the UK and I happened to live near my city's Mini dealership and it was one less decision to make. It was totally fab being able to nip in and out of places, and I got lots of comments on my "cute" car, and the petrol economy was great. However, I wouldn't do it again as in winter I felt very vulnerable compared to all the pick-up trucks and SUVs driving badly, due to the relative size of vehicles. Plus the roads weren't in great shape and my spine felt every single bump and pot-hole in Virginia.
Heck! If I can't reverse park into spaces when I come back I'll be really upset with myself. Being able to nip about is what I love about driving my car. It's old enough now that I'm not so nervous about pressing it up against curbs, and we have a railway bridge close by that I love flinging it over.
But I completely take your point about feeling vulnerable among the bigger cars, and during the harsh weather.
I guess I'm going to have to appreciate different things, and driving differently. I'm know I'm going to miss manual gear changing, whereas hubby can't wait. But then he's a Kiwi, it took him ages to come to terms with roundabouts when he first came here.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Oh My! I've just googled the Ford F-150 supercrew.
That's a monster!!

Hubby is in Philadelphia now. He seems to be away all the time at the moment hence, our relocation. He says that cars don't seem to be much bigger than we what we drive here. So many people drive SUV's now. I know it's the fastest growing market in the UK. Also here is Oxfordshire, there are alot of Audi's Volvo's, Discovery's, BMW's, Range Rovers not to mention squillions of Nissan Qashqais and Kia Sorentos.

Therefore is the size difference associated with areas?

Or is it my husband isn't really taking notice?
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm know I'm going to miss manual gear changing, whereas hubby can't wait. But then he's a Kiwi, it took him ages to come to terms with roundabouts when he first came here.
Ah, that was another reason for the Mini - I got a manual gearbox! From what I saw, if you went for a premium, european brand, such as BMW or Audi, that appealed to certain petrol-heads then manuals weren't uncommon and didn't affect the re-sale value too badly.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:57 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Most new cars these days are maual/auto hybrids. All that reeally means is that on the gearstick theres a + and - button that changes the gear when you have it in manual. Certainly not the clunk into place that most UK cars have.

And yes my Supercrew is pretty large - but no where near some of the F-350 Duallys!

I think the size differance is probably less noticeable in built up areas, yes. You wouldn't want something the sixe of my truck in NYC for example, the city was not designed for large vehicles.

As you get out into the sticks, things get bigger,

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 24th 2017 at 11:01 am.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh My! I've just googled the Ford F-150 supercrew.
That's a monster!! ....
No, that's just a toy! My daily driver is an F250 crew cab (the same size as an F350, but mine isn't a dually). ..... about 5ft longer than an Explorer, and it fits into many parking spaces and overhangs others, but usually not by more than 2-3ft .... My preference is usually to back into a space around the edge and overhang the grass landscaping.

In city centers, especially in the North East (DC-Boston) you will see fewer trucks and big SUVs. .... But the Explorer isn't big!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 24th 2017 at 11:07 am.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:06 am
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, that's just a toy! My daily driver is an F250 crew cab .....
*cough* compensating for something else *cough*

But is it a dually? If not... well someone else has got you beat

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 24th 2017 at 11:59 am.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

We moved out from Berks/ S. Oxon in Feb. Agree SUVs virtually the norm. But where we are now, Q5s , X5s look pretty compact on US roads. It truly is a different perception of scale. BUT I guess we are not metropolitan out here. I do also see a lot of Honda CRVs around which look small and anyway not what you're after.

When is your visit? You're rental car might also be helpful for general sizing.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Oooh Chesten, then you'll have lived very close by.

I'm guessing we'll be going out to visit in June.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
*cough* compensating for something else *cough* .....
I thought that was my Mustang GT.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh Chesten, then you'll have lived very close by.

I'm guessing we'll be going out to visit in June.
I miss the country pubs sooo much, especially beer gardens (with kids playgrounds).

Was just thinking that what we think of as an SUV is often termed a crossover here. But maybe that's a technicality? Anyway, good luck in June.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.