British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   IAS Dealerships (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ias-dealerships-871288/)

LonelyCloud Jan 25th 2016 3:45 pm

IAS Dealerships

IAS are really struggling to source the vehicle I'm after for my impending move (Has someone suddenly eaten all the Grand Cherokee's?). They have said that they maybe able to source from their dealership network.

Has anyone done this with them? I'm just wondering if there will be differences in the finance etc?. I'm more than happy to put a substantial deposit down as it's only for the credit rating (I'll pay it off after a year), but dealerships always make me sceptical!

Pulaski Jan 25th 2016 3:55 pm

Re: IAS Dealerships

IAS is a broker, no more, no less. They have relationships with dealers. You order a car they buy it from a dealer's inventory or they order it from the manufacturer. Not all cars are held in inventory and that may be due to either greater than expect sales or lower than expected rate of manufacturing, or some combination thereof.

I am not surprised at what you are reporting, but I certainly wouldn't be concerned either - your contract is (would be) with IAS, not the local dealer, who is only their agent. The car we bought wasn't held in inventory either, but we were prepared to wait for a very specific model and options package. Our car came directly from the factory to the local delivery agent (dealer) six weeks after we arrived.

markcst Jan 25th 2016 4:11 pm

As Pulaski stated they source from dealers or direct. You've actually picked one of the makes they don't have a primary arrangement with, so it may take them a bit longer.

They told me Ford, Lincoln, VW and one other whose name escapes me. These they can get very quickly i.e. straight from the Factory inventory. The rest they source through direct dealer schemes.

For example I wanted a Chevy for the good lady and they told me they got better deals on a Ford and that Chevy was a bit more difficult for them (go figure!).

Actually told me I'd be better getting a Chevy locally once I was a few months in.

LonelyCloud Jan 25th 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks guys, helpful as always. We are in no real rush (SSN, DMV etc) so we need those before we can pick up a vehicle anyway (Oregon). I had an explorer for a while in San Fran, actually quite liked it, but I don't think 3 kids seats fit in the back (Mrs Cloud is blackmailing me for No 3).

boltonreddave Jan 25th 2016 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 11847734)
Thanks guys, helpful as always. We are in no real rush (SSN, DMV etc) so we need those before we can pick up a vehicle anyway (Oregon). I had an explorer for a while in San Fran, actually quite liked it, but I don't think 3 kids seats fit in the back (Mrs Cloud is blackmailing me for No 3).

Glad to hear you like the explorer as we have orders one throug IAS for delivery in late April. We are getting a hire car through them in the mean time.

mrken30 Jan 25th 2016 6:11 pm

3 diono car seats will fit in the back

lansbury Jan 25th 2016 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 11847687)
IAS are really struggling to source the vehicle I'm after for my impending move (Has someone suddenly eaten all the Grand Cherokee's?).

The 2016 model year are only just starting to trickle into the dealers. What 2015s that are left do not leave a lot of choice. Grand Cherokees are only made to order either for dealer stock or customer order. The factory do not make vehicles to hold in stock there. When IAS got my JGC it was ordered from the factory.

Pulaski Jan 25th 2016 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11847885)
3 diono car seats will fit in the back

I'd take the Explorer over almost any Grand Cherokee. Only if I was in the market for an SRT would I take the GC as there is nothing like that in the Explorer range.

lansbury Jan 25th 2016 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11847920)
I'd take the Explorer over almost any Grand Cherokee.

I wouldn't and didn't, looked at Fords but decided to get another JGC. :nod:

LonelyCloud Jan 25th 2016 8:28 pm

I have to admit, there is not much to choose between the two. JGC has the better toe capacity (which I'm not bothered about), but the Explorer comes with 7 seats as standard. MPG is the same.

Our cousins future husband is also a sales manager for Ford, so cheaper services may tip the balance lol

mrken30 Jan 25th 2016 9:09 pm

I have been paying $18 for main dealer oil changes on my jeep for past 8 years. So very cheap servicing.

lansbury Jan 25th 2016 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 11848021)
I have to admit, there is not much to choose between the two. JGC has the better toe capacity (which I'm not bothered about), but the Explorer comes with 7 seats as standard. MPG is the same.

Our cousins future husband is also a sales manager for Ford, so cheaper services may tip the balance lol

The 7 seats were the main disadvantage to me, but it is only Mrs L and I so it isn't something we would need. As far as Oregon is concerned you will see many more JGCs than Explorers as Jeeps are popular here.

lansbury Jan 25th 2016 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11848051)
I have been paying $18 for main dealer oil changes on my jeep for past 8 years. So very cheap servicing.

Who do you use Dick's Autos? McLoughlin Jeep over this side seem to always have cheap oil changes.

hope1714 Jan 27th 2016 2:34 am

I've had some issues with them. The quote they first offered on my car was much lower than the ones they presented to me once I had agreed (and given my credit card details) to go with them.
They've added over $6000 of accessories to my car...

Pulaski Jan 27th 2016 2:50 am

Originally Posted by hope1714 (Post 11849504)
I've had some issues with them. The quote they first offered on my car was much lower than the ones they presented to me once I had agreed (and given my credit card details) to go with them.
They've added over $6000 of accessories to my car...

If it's different from what you ordered, they broke the contract. What are you going to do about it?